Old 29-07-2009, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default What's On Our Food?

On Jul 26, 10:12*pm, Charlie wrote:
Scary.

http://whatsonmyfood.org/

Charlie

I'm a retired chemist and have been amazed by advances in chemical
detectability levels over the years.
Several years ago it was difficult to detect under a part per million
easily observable materials such as arsenic but today they can detect
parts per trillion of many things.

Personally, I'm not afraid of a ppt of anything but there are those
that gasp at the fact that something noxious is in their food. I had
a Canadian official tell me once that he did not want a single
molecule of any chlorinated organic compound in the water that he was
drinking. It was not a time to educate him on Avagadro's number.

I'm healthy and entering my seventh decade this year and as a chemist
have been exposed to some of the most toxic substances known to man
including what was said to be the most potent carcinogen.
Old 29-07-2009, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Frank wrote:

[...]

Well, you know how unreasonably emotional Charlie can be about his
grandkids being exposed to needless poisons, but anecdotal evidence
Frank? I thought you were a scientist. What happened to you?

A beautiful lady, Hilda Newson, celebrates her 109th birthday. She
chain-smoked until the age of 85.
http://www.forces.org/static_page/oldest.php
Kinda makes you want to fire up a pack of coffin nails, huh, Frank?
So you sayin' that all that bad rap that tobacco got was trash talk,
Frank?

A case-control study has shown an elevated risk of sarcoma (a type of
cancer) associated with low-level exposure (4.2*fg/m3) to dioxins from
incineration plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychl...oxins#Toxicity
That's 4.2 trillionths of a gram/cubic meter of air.
(.0000000000042g)

Scientists estimate that everyone alive today carries within her or his
body at least 700 contaminants, most of which have not been well studied
(Onstot and others).*
*Onstot J, Ayling R, Stanley J. Characterization of HRGC/MS Unidentified
Peaks from the Analysis of Human Adipose Tissue. Volume 1: Technical
Approach. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of
Toxic Substances (560/6-87-002a), 1987.

Among these 700 contaminants are organophosphates, and organochlorates,
or as I like to call them, insecticides. Then there are pthalates
(endocrine disrupter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate#Health_effects,

and chemistry's poster child (or should I say cash cow) PBA.

The authors found that high bisphenol A levels were significantly
associated with heart disease, diabetes, and abnormally high levels of
certain liver enzymes. An editorial in the same issue notes that while
this preliminary study needs to be confirmed and cannot prove causality,
there is precedent for analogous effects in animal studies, which
"add[s] biological plausibility to the results reported by Lang et
al."[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphen...to_bisphenol_A

You can avoid some BPA by avoiding plastics bottles marked 7 or 3 inside
a triangle on their bottom.

Lead and mercury are still popular pollutants.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...r-pollution-ch
ildren.html
Kids' lower IQ scores linked to prenatal pollution

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...reeks.org/info
/infofishsafety.doc+recommended+quantities+of+fish+ to+be+eaten+from+San+F
rancisco+Bay&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safar i
IS IT SAFE TO EAT FISH FROM SAN FRANCISCO BAY?
San Francisco Bay and Delta Region: Because of elevated levels of
mercury, PCBs, and other chemicals, the following interim advisory has
been issued by the CA Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.
€ Adults should eat no more than two meals per month of San Francisco
Bay sport fish, including sturgeon and striped bass caught in the delta.
(One meal for an adult is about eight ounces).
€ Adults should not eat any striped bass over 35 inches.*
€ Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant, nursing mothers, and
children under age six should not eat more than one meal of fish per
month. In addition, they should not eat any striped bass over 27 inches
or any shark over 24 inches.

These types of notifications are becoming more common around the world.
You may want to give up eating canned tuna as well, unless, for some
reason, you need the mercury.

Now, I can understand haw a big strong guy like you, Frank, wouldn't be
afraid of little tiny things like chemicals, but how do they react with
fetuses, and children? You know how, Frank, you're a chemist. They
interfer with tissue development.

No one has ever done feeding trials on these pollutants, to see if they
work synergistically (in a toxic kind of way), so we are just guinea
pigs.

Now we have the latest in toxins, Genetically Modified Organisms.
Spliceosomes (I kid you not) that mistake t-RNA from the inserted genes
and make unique proteins with the possibility of an allergic response.
Cabbage Mosaic Virus, that can migrate to the 98% of your DNA that
doesn't seem to express itself, and can turn on long dormant viruses, or
genes. Then there is the antibiotic marker on the inserted gene that can
lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Enjoy your retirement, Frank, but we don't need your cavalier disregard
for our health.

My advice is simple, if you are going to eat, eat organic.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 29-07-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Frank wrote:

[...]

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries are the
sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in a while you
anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of soap.

Old 29-07-2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"The moderator" wrote:

My advice is simple, if you are going to eat, eat organic.
--

- Billy

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries are the
sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in a while you
anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of soap.

Well, yes, that is your opinion, and your welcome to it.

I might point out though, that organic doesn't mean vegetarian.
Moreover, there is a qualitative difference between grass fed, and grain
finished, not that some marketing whiz isn't trying to blur the lines,
as with the new use of the word "natural" to imply "organic", which it
isn't necessarily. Then there is Whole Foods which tries to be organic
inside the old factory system of distribution. Or are you just saying
that the people working in organic groceries look thin? Where did the
soap thingy come from? You're really not very good at thinking are you?

Many of us garden to have "organic" food. Our President's family just
planted an "organic" garden.

"When they are not protected by pesticides, crops produce their own
chemical weapons. Some of these, various flavonoids, are antioxidants
which may contribute to human health. Organic pears and peaches are
richer in these compounds and organic tomatoes have more vitamin C and
lycopene."
- Dr. Schwarcz

Maybe, you just need a better class of organic grocery store, maybe.

Old 30-07-2009, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"The moderator" wrote in
:

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries
are the sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in
a while you anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of
soap.

you are confusing organic with vegan, i suppose. there may be a
slight overlap, but most vegans i know eat prepared foods that aren't
necessarily organic. i don't actually know many vegans that can cook
from scratch (just like i don't know many people who aren't dependent
on prepared foods now-a-days).
i'm neither vegan or vegetarian, yet i grow, purchase & prepare
mostly organic foods, including meats.
oh, and there's also soap made from organic sourced ingredients...
which is a bit of a long winded way to say "your ignorance is
showing!"
lee

Old 31-07-2009, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"The moderator" wrote in
:

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries
are the sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in
a while you anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of
soap.

you are confusing organic with vegan, i suppose. there may be a
slight overlap, but most vegans i know eat prepared foods that aren't
necessarily organic. i don't actually know many vegans that can cook
from scratch (just like i don't know many people who aren't dependent
on prepared foods now-a-days).
i'm neither vegan or vegetarian, yet i grow, purchase & prepare
mostly organic foods, including meats.
oh, and there's also soap made from organic sourced ingredients...
which is a bit of a long winded way to say "your ignorance is
showing!"
lee

Hmmm ....

I m going to defend the original poster, too a limit.

I have also felt the same way. Some of the unhealthiest people I have
ever seen was at a health food store ( myself excluded . There are
people that have better genetics than others. There are people that seem
to consume nothing but junk food and thrive and look healthy as can be.

Some people are more sensitive to certain foods than others. Wheat and
gluten products causes gas and fatigue for me. I have tested negative
for celiac (Endoscopy and Biopsy) and wheat allergies. However I still
ovoid those food substances for their negative affects to me. The health
food store has the rice and other flours that regular stores do not have.

If you are healthy from the beginning. Why enter a health food store?

If your unhealthy and traditional medicine has failed you, try
alternative methods. The health food stores are best places to try
something different.

Unlike the original poster suggest, I am not a vegetarian. The health
food store has products I have not yet learn to make myself. Like
growing my own rice and corn for grinding my own flours. Someday I will
give it a try.

Where wheat products bother me. Other people might have bad reactions to
meat products and a vegetarian diet might be best for them physically or
mentally (death of animals bother them). I raise my own chickens (taste
better). Again the organic heath food store is a good place to be for
those who need alternatives. The organic health food store I go to, also
sells grass fed only T-bone steaks as well as skin sensitive soaps.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 31-07-2009, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"The moderator" wrote in
:

[...]

From the point of logic, a qualified answer ("too a limit"), is no
answer at all.

I have also felt the same way. Some of the unhealthiest people I have
ever seen was at a health food store ( myself excluded .

How would you know, unless you were their doctor?

There are
people that have better genetics than others. There are people that seem
to consume nothing but junk food and thrive and look healthy as can be.

Ah, appearances are subjective.

Some people are more sensitive to certain foods than others. Wheat and
gluten products causes gas and fatigue for me. I have tested negative
for celiac (Endoscopy and Biopsy) and wheat allergies. However I still
ovoid those food substances for their negative affects to me. The health
food store has the rice and other flours that regular stores do not have.

Not bad, to have a wider choice.

If you are healthy from the beginning. Why enter a health food store?

To stay that way, and hopefully keep your loved ones that way as well.

If your unhealthy and traditional medicine has failed you, try
alternative methods. The health food stores are best places to try
something different.

Well, one place, anyway.

Unlike the original poster suggest, I am not a vegetarian. The health
food store has products I have not yet learn to make myself. Like
growing my own rice and corn for grinding my own flours. Someday I will
give it a try.

Where wheat products bother me. Other people might have bad reactions to
meat products and a vegetarian diet might be best for them physically or
mentally (death of animals bother them). I raise my own chickens (taste
better).

If you're going to eat them, someone has to kill them. I'm sure that
your backyard is better than an abattoir, at least I hope so.
Again the organic heath food store is a good place to be for
those who need alternatives.

Well, in my new roll as "Organic Man", I might suggest that you check
out your Community Supported Agriculture (find at
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ ) or check your local farmer's
markets. In my opinion, we all need alternatives to "factory food" that
is grown for shelf life and not nutrition.
"And how much of a difference in antioxidant content is there between
organically and conventionally-grown foods? According to a four year
long study carried out at the University of Newcastle, organic food is
some 40% richer in antioxidants."
- Dr. Joseph Schwarcz

The organic health food store I go to, also
sells grass fed only T-bone steaks

Good eats ;O)
as well as skin sensitive soaps.

Particularly important in group showers ;O)

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"The moderator" wrote in
:

[...]

From the point of logic, a qualified answer ("too a limit"), is no
answer at all.

Logic tends to deal with "right or wrong", "zero's and ones", "yes and
no". The posting does not deal with facts. Just opinions, subjective
views, one can accept or reject the views, both are fine. In my book,
"right and wrong" are thin lines at the ends with a vast grey middle.

I have also felt the same way. Some of the unhealthiest people I have
ever seen was at a health food store ( myself excluded .

How would you know, unless you were their doctor?

No, I am not anyones physician. However, skin rashes, pale or very red
faces, bad breath, some examples of external health problems. One can go
one with many observable conditions that are out of the normal.

There are
people that have better genetics than others. There are people that seem
to consume nothing but junk food and thrive and look healthy as can be.

Ah, appearances are subjective.

True.

Some people are more sensitive to certain foods than others. Wheat and
gluten products causes gas and fatigue for me. I have tested negative
for celiac (Endoscopy and Biopsy) and wheat allergies. However I still
ovoid those food substances for their negative affects to me. The health
food store has the rice and other flours that regular stores do not have.

Not bad, to have a wider choice.

True Again.

[...]

My 20 Chickens have a better life than many humans on this planet!
Nice warm home, plenty of food, two acre pen to roam and access to the
garden before nightfall and a much longer life than most of their kind.

Again the organic heath food store is a good place to be for
those who need alternatives.

Well, in my new roll as "Organic Man", I might suggest that you check
out your Community Supported Agriculture (find at
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ ) or check your local farmer's
markets. In my opinion, we all need alternatives to "factory food" that
is grown for shelf life and not nutrition.
"And how much of a difference in antioxidant content is there between
organically and conventionally-grown foods? According to a four year
long study carried out at the University of Newcastle, organic food is
some 40% richer in antioxidants."
- Dr. Joseph Schwarcz

The organic health food store I go to, also
sells grass fed only T-bone steaks

Good eats ;O)

A favorite show I record weekly

as well as skin sensitive soaps.

Particularly important in group showers ;O)

"too a limit" ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 00:25:01 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Anyone who
believes even minute amounts of toxins are ok in the bodies of my
grandchildren deserve...

what they ultimately will get.

Hmmm ...

What about homeopathic medicine? Do they contain minute amounts of
toxins? Does it help the body get better?

Does chemotherapy for cancer patients help them?
Does chemotherapy contain toxins?

Does not most fruits and vegetables contain both natural compounds that
help and harm human life? Does one need take the good with the bad in
order to survive?

Does food preservatives help preserve human life?

I might agree that even minute amounts of toxins are NOT ok.
I just do not know or sure about this topic. Just lots of questions.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 00:25:01 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Anyone who
believes even minute amounts of toxins are ok in the bodies of my
grandchildren deserve...

what they ultimately will get.

Hmmm ...

What about homeopathic medicine? Do they contain minute amounts of
toxins? Does it help the body get better?

Good question that deals like cures like. That a weak dose 6x which
mean S. 1 ml to 100 diluted 6 times. Then there is 30 c 1 ml diluted
to 100 30 times. Then there is 1 m yada yada .

http://www.icnr.com/articles/ischemotherapyeffective.html

Does not most fruits and vegetables contain both natural compounds that
help and harm human life? Does one need take the good with the bad in
order to survive?

Seems small attacks against our immune system strengthens us. Cat
shit in the sand box comes to mind.

Does food preservatives help preserve human life?

Of course but do you want to eat a mercury preserved herring or a
salt dried one.

I might agree that even minute amounts of toxins are NOT ok.
I just do not know or sure about this topic. Just lots of questions.

Nothing wrong with questions. Albert said as soon as we say we know no
progress.
Enjoy Life ... Dan

Sound Advice.

Bill Back to rotting some cukes in brine

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

[...]

I was amiss. One only takes a homeopathic remedies to you see a
change then stop or perhaps take the cure to a higher dilution.

Less and less the way to go but avoid coffee and mint of import.

I've studied 20 volumes still had melanoma and a quad. But my kids
like Arnica for daily mishaps.

Go study.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 00:25:01 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Anyone who
believes even minute amounts of toxins are ok in the bodies of my
grandchildren deserve...

what they ultimately will get.

Hmmm ...

What about homeopathic medicine? Do they contain minute amounts of
toxins? Does it help the body get better?

Does chemotherapy for cancer patients help them?
Does chemotherapy contain toxins?

Does not most fruits and vegetables contain both natural compounds that
help and harm human life? Does one need take the good with the bad in
order to survive?

Does food preservatives help preserve human life?

I might agree that even minute amounts of toxins are NOT ok.
I just do not know or sure about this topic. Just lots of questions.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

We are just arguing about adding to the pile of toxins that we eat. Say
hello to Mr. Liver. He does our detoxing of our "natural" environment
for us, but he is only human, and he can be overwhelmed.

Others may defend homepathy, but it doesn't make sense to me (not a
requirement for it to be true however). Ideally, by the time you finish
shaking the water, there is only the memory of the mimicking substance
left in the water.

Chemotherapy isn't good for you. It's only saving grace is that it is
even less good to quickly dividing cells.

Food preservatives is to large a catagory. Salt, vinegar, oxalate, and
SO2 aren't comparable.

If your not sure about toxins, you're welcome to my share.
--

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 00:25:01 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Anyone who
believes even minute amounts of toxins are ok in the bodies of my
grandchildren deserve...

what they ultimately will get.

Hmmm ...

What about homeopathic medicine? Do they contain minute amounts of
toxins? Does it help the body get better?

Good question that deals like cures like. That a weak dose 6x which
mean S. 1 ml to 100 diluted 6 times. Then there is 30 c 1 ml diluted
to 100 30 times. Then there is 1 m yada yada .

Does chemotherapy for cancer patients help them?
Does chemotherapy contain toxins?

http://www.icnr.com/articles/ischemotherapyeffective.html

Interesting article.
Another myth dispelled. I thought chemo was effective.

Does not most fruits and vegetables contain both natural compounds that
help and harm human life? Does one need take the good with the bad in
order to survive?

Seems small attacks against our immune system strengthens us. Cat
shit in the sand box comes to mind.

Does food preservatives help preserve human life?

Of course but do you want to eat a mercury preserved herring or a
salt dried one.

I might agree that even minute amounts of toxins are NOT ok.
I just do not know or sure about this topic. Just lots of questions.

Nothing wrong with questions. Albert said as soon as we say we know no
progress.
Enjoy Life ... Dan

Sound Advice.

Bill Back to rotting some cukes in brine

In two weeks I will be doing the same. My cukes are looking good.

Bill

I was amiss. One only takes a homeopathic remedies to you see a
change then stop or perhaps take the cure to a higher dilution.

Less and less the way to go but avoid coffee and mint of import.

I do avoid coffee and mint of import. Chocolate is my import addiction.