Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Greenhouses

I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing season
by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience with
them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300 coupon
next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I assume at
that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are also selling
an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but I'm not sure
that I'm up for spending that much.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing season
by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience with
them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300 coupon
next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I assume at
that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are also selling
an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but I'm not sure
that I'm up for spending that much.

Get the largest size you can, they fill up quick. and for the $8k range, I
would go commercial at that point.

I decided on the Harbor Freight's (HF) 10x12, it is ~ 750$
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93358 or
http://tinyurl.com/33mzq5 . I got it for $600 at the time, a grand less
than the Costco one was. It's double wall poly also. Instructions are a bit
difficult to understand, (call and get pics) and its frame seemed a bit less
sturdy than the Costco one . but it has held well for last 2 years. A hoop
house might have been cheaper, lots of free plans on the Internet for those
but my wife wanted pretty and cheap as she wants to move.

Do plan on benches & also consider electricity and water if you really want
to extend your seasons. I ran a 20 amp circuit with GFI and 3/4 poly pipe
w/ antisiphon hardware for added protection, Our code allows them in the
same trench and we only have to go down 12", so it was one dig w/ a $60 a
day trencher.

Mine is on an old kennel slab with plastic decking as a frame to anchor it.
Normal construction calls for gravel, so plan accordingly. I figure 3-5
yards of pea gravel to fill it in. lot of wheelborrowing if you can't dump
inside it.

Keep air moving inside, controls mold and strengthens plants. I got 2x 20"
box fans from our local Hardware store for ventilation, but saw similar
ones at Walmart for $20 ea. Dual outlet timers are ~ $20 at HF also, same
item is $24-32 at the Big Boxes and garden stores . In the really hot parts
of summer I built screen frames that fit inside the channels, the xtra cross
ventilation cools pretty good. I'm telling you this because temps will jump
to over 100 degrees as fast as inside a car when that sun hits it in the
summer. You might have to consider shade cloth or whitewash if you live in
a hotter climate. For xtra winter protection I am going to try 4 foot wide
bubble wrap for inside insulation to give xtra protection. I also run 2
small oil heaters on low ~ 36f and have them turn off at 45. But we have
mild ( but long cool winters).

My raised beds are just outside so I start seeds inside on a couple of 4'
heat mats and then move them outside. I have budgeted for 2x 6 light T5s
for next spring in there.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...res_35_ctg.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/32btko also have 2 x1' square tube frames with feet
spreaders for hanging plants inside.I wouldn't trust the walls or ends to
hang anything from.

Yesterday we loaded it up with my wife's plants she wants to overwinter . I
have another hydro system to build this winter and put in there for next
year. Similar to this one:
http://extremegrowing.com/web/content/view/110/41/ or
http://tinyurl.com/ykdzqwq.

Use one of the inexpensive inside and outside remote weather info gadgets to
watch your temps. another 20-30$.

If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

More Hydro: Dr. H. Resh:
http://betterbuyhydroponics.com/inde...onic_Lettuce_3 or
http://tinyurl.com/yfemr8h

Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:09:03 -0700, gunner wrote:

[...]

commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/32btko also have 2 x1' square tube frames with
feet spreaders for hanging plants inside.I wouldn't trust the walls or
ends to hang anything from.

Yesterday we loaded it up with my wife's plants she wants to overwinter
. I have another hydro system to build this winter and put in there for
next year. Similar to this one:
http://extremegrowing.com/web/content/view/110/41/ or
http://tinyurl.com/ykdzqwq.

Use one of the inexpensive inside and outside remote weather info
gadgets to watch your temps. another 20-30$.

If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

More Hydro: Dr. H. Resh:
http://betterbuyhydroponics.com/inde...onic_Lettuce_3 or
http://tinyurl.com/yfemr8h

Thanks for the suggestion, $750 is cheap enough to be used as an
experiment to see if a greenhouse would be helpful, if I liked it I could
get a nice glass one in the future.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gunner wrote:
"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing season
by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience with
them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300 coupon
next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I assume at
that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are also selling
an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but I'm not sure
that I'm up for spending that much.

snip

A hoop
house might have been cheaper, lots of free plans on the Internet for those
but my wife wanted pretty and cheap as she wants to move.

Working on a modified hoop myself at the moment. Straight sides with
a hoop top. I just need 8' * 8' (all I have room for) and the curved
walls would take up foot print. I'm bending 10' 3/4" irrigation pvc
(thinner walls and cheaper) over 8'. That will arch up 2 1/2' and give
strength and a nice rounded top (for water to run off).

If it'll stop raining here, I can finish it! I think I just had my
second batch of kale wash out.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:09:03 -0700, gunner wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message

Thanks for the suggestion, $750 is cheap enough to be used as an
experiment to see if a greenhouse would be helpful, if I liked it I could
get a nice glass one in the future.

Exactly my thoughts when I started, now I want a sunroom or a Florida room
attachment to the house, right next to the kitchen.

Fresh herbs and lettuces are nice in Dec and Feb. The Tomatoes still have to
wait for the sun until LEDs make an improvement. Which speaking of Solar
panels, HF also has small solar lights to use for night lights.

BTW here is a better link to Dr. Resh. That last one was a front for a
Hydro store and not educational:http://www.howardresh.com/home.html

For years I've used his books ; Hydroponic Food Production and Hydroponic
Tomatoes as THE reference guide. The first one is a bit technical but lots
of good information.

Old 17-10-2009, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing season
by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience with
them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300 coupon
next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I assume at
that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are also selling
an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but I'm not sure
that I'm up for spending that much.

Google for pop-up greenhouses.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Subscribe:

Old 17-10-2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:36:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing
season by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience
with them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300
coupon next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I
assume at that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are
also selling an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but
I'm not sure that I'm up for spending that much.

Google for pop-up greenhouses.

Thanks, that's and interesting solution. They're cheap and you can even
get them at Home Depot.
Old 17-10-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:36:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing
season by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience
with them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300
coupon next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I
assume at that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are
also selling an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but
I'm not sure that I'm up for spending that much.

Google for pop-up greenhouses.

Thanks, that's and interesting solution. They're cheap and you can even
get them at Home Depot.

Mine lasted about 6 years. :-)
The sun will eventually rot them, but they are far more affordable.

Cheers!

Old 17-10-2009, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:15:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
[...]

How did you organize things in the greenhouses? Did you plant in the
ground or did you keep everything on racks?
Old 17-10-2009, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
[...]

A little of both. Mostly on racks but some in the ground. They don't
have floors.

Old 17-10-2009, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
[...]

Ps, I'm in the process of tearing down the three I have but am going to
try to salvage the frames and just use those rolls of clear plastic over
them. I'll post how it works out, if it does.

Old 24-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered User

Greenhouses & Gazebos

It's that time of year when many homeowners are thinking of new ways to add some sparkle to their yards and gardens.

A new gazebo, greenhouse, shed or even a treehouse to your yard will become a centerpiece and a topic of conversation for years to come! Whether you're looking to relax outdoors in the comfort of your new gazebo, or start a new gardening operation in your new greenhouse, the possibilities are endless!

Greenhouses and Gazebos is an independent website designed to help homeowners discover the wide variety of options available in outdoor buildings today. Inside this site you'll find information about products, installation, maintenance and other useful tips related to owning a new greenhouse or gazebo.
Old 25-11-2009, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
tamla wrote:

'Omelet[_4_ Wrote:
;867272']In article ,
General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
-
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:15:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:
-
In article
,
General Schvantzkoph
-

wrote:

[...]

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
foot down."
--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums:
http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Subscribe:

Greenhouses & Gazebos

It's that time of year when many homeowners are thinking of new ways to
add some sparkle to their yards and gardens.

By filling up their yard with a structure? yeah, sure, right.

A new gazebo, greenhouse, shed or even a treehouse to your yard will
become a centerpiece and a topic of conversation for years to come!

So will the over priced, lousy, cheap piece of crap that you end up
buying.

Whether you're looking to relax outdoors in the comfort of your new
gazebo, or start a new gardening operation in your new greenhouse, the
possibilities are endless!

Greenhouses and Gazebos is an independent website designed to help
homeowners discover the wide variety of options available in outdoor
buildings today. Inside this site you'll find information about
products, installation, maintenance and other useful tips related to
owning a new greenhouse or gazebo.

Google "greenhouse" or "gazebo", if that is what you want, but

don't support predatory spammers (like the above), who come to put up
advertising on our newsgroup.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 30-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered User

Location: Durham UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbilly View Post
In article ,
tamla
wrote:

'Omelet[_4_ Wrote:
;867272']In article
,
General Schvantzkoph
-
-

wrote:

[...]

There are some great ideas about growing your own fruit and vegeatables on www.mysod.co.uk It is mainly for UK gardeners but I think een people in the US will get some benefit from it.
I am finsing this forum difficult to navigate my way around but some of the gardening comments on here are extremely good. I didnt realise there were so many keen gardeners in the world. Great to see.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Seed vault video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...-nationa_n_616
316.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

[IBC] Panels for Greenhouses ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 5 12-03-2003 03:44 PM
Are double glazed greenhouses feasible ?? gray United Kingdom 6 08-02-2003 09:08 PM
Greenhouses Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:27 PM
Greenhouses CK United Kingdom 0 04-02-2003 08:53 AM
Greenhouses Julie Gardening 2 02-02-2003 06:34 PM