Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered User

Default Whats eating my indoor chilli plants?

Picture as below:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...d_IMG_0789.jpg

I'm guessing greenfly but I'm not sure. How best to get rid of them. I used some mild detergent in a sprayer and gently wiped them off with tepid water.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
pullet_surprise wrote:

Picture as below:

http://tinyurl.com/35t56kc

I'm guessing greenfly but I'm not sure. How best to get rid of them. I
used some mild detergent in a sprayer and gently wiped them off with
tepid water.

Please use full URL as tinyurl can mask scams and attacks on visitors.
(Translation: you'd have to be crazy to trust a tinyurl from someone you
don't know.)

If you use soap on plants, make sure it is a fatty acid based soap and
not a detergent.
--
- Billy
Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Homemade V8?

First time poster, but I've been reading this newsgroup for awhile. I
enjoy an 11.5 oz can of V8 every morning and got to thinking about
making my own. Not so much to taste exactly like it, but as a way to
not let anything from the garden go to waste.

I envision using tomatoes as a base ingredient and add whatever's ripe
at the time. Is there a brand of juicer that would be preferable over
say, a blender? I'd imagine retaining the maximum amount of
nutritional value would invole a different process than just smashing
vegies into juice.

We can and freeze, but there's always some goodies left over that I
just hate to throw in the compost. I'll bet you could come up with
some interesting flavors too ; ) Have any of you tried this?

Thanks

Newb

Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

First time poster, but I've been reading this newsgroup for awhile. I
enjoy an 11.5 oz can of V8 every morning and got to thinking about
making my own. Not so much to taste exactly like it, but as a way to
not let anything from the garden go to waste.

I envision using tomatoes as a base ingredient and add whatever's ripe
at the time. Is there a brand of juicer that would be preferable over
say, a blender? I'd imagine retaining the maximum amount of
nutritional value would invole a different process than just smashing
vegies into juice.

We can and freeze, but there's always some goodies left over that I
just hate to throw in the compost. I'll bet you could come up with
some interesting flavors too ; ) Have any of you tried this?

Thanks

Newb

If you go to http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ you will
see that pureed tomatoes generally contain more nutrients than tomato
juice (indicative of the USA that they didn't have numbers for fresh
tomato juice). The puree will, as you would expect, contain more fiber.
I'd just think of it as gazpacho to which you can add cucumbers, celery,
peppers, just about anything, along with some oil oil to help adsorb the
fat soluble vitamins, and vinager to make it refreshing on a hot day. It
is a great way to use excess tomatoes.

OT: Today is the 40th anniversary of Kent State.
http://english.aljazeera.net/program...254342410.html

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/5/4/on_40th_anniversary_of_kent_state
--
- Billy
Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

gazpacho

Below from Rec.food.recipes

XLayered Gazpacho Salad
Diced Gazpacho Salad
Gazpacho Salad
Mexican Gazpacho Salad
Gazpacho Salad
Gazpacho Salad
Caputo's Gazpacho Salad
Cool Summer Gazpacho Salad

Layered Gazpacho Salad

Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette (See Below)
1 bag Mediterranean lettuce blend
2 medium tomatoes, diced (2 cups)
2 medium cucumbers, diced (2 cups)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 cup seasoned croutons

Make Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette. Place lettuce in large glass bowl.
Layer tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper and onion on lettuce. Pour
vinaigrette over top. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours to blend
flavors. Sprinkle eggs and croutons over salad. Toss before serving.

Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette

1/2 cup olive or canola oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Shake all ingredients in tightly covered container.
Source:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeid=34050

Diced Gazpacho Salad

Categories: Salads
Yield: 4 Servings

7 md Tomatillos
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 cup Whole parsley sprigs
Black pepper
1/3 cup Olive oil
1 sm Red onion
1 md Cucumber
1 lg Red bell pepper
1 sm Avocado

Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse. Dice red onion to yield 1/2
cup. Seed cucumber and cut into 1/2-inch dice to yield 1 cup. Seed red
bell pepper and cut into 1/2-inch squares to yield 1 1/2 cups. Peel
avocado and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Coarsely slice 2 tomatillos and
combine in food processor with salt, oregano, parsley, and pepper to
taste; chop fine. Add oil and blend. Cut remaining tomatillos into
1/4-inch dice.
Combine diced tomatillos, onion, cucumber, and red pepper in a serving
dish; toss with dressing. Add avocado and toss gently. Cover and chill
for about an hour before serving to 4.

from Uncommon Fruits & Vegetables: A Commonsense Guide by Elizabeth
Schneider

Source: Chicago Sun Times
Source: http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/salads/05/rec0581.html

Gazpacho Salad

Makes 6 servings

This colorful and spicy salad features the same combination of tastes
and textures found in the famous cold Mexican soup. Try it with
tortilla chips.

1-1/2 cups peeled and coarsely chopped tomatoes*
1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, cooked and drained
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch ground red pepper
1 medium head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup peeled and diced jicama
1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs

*To peel tomatoes easily, blanch in boiling water 30 seconds;
immediately transfer to bowl of cold water, then peel.

Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper and corn in large
bowl. Combine lime juice, vinegar, water, oil, garlic, salt, black
pepper and ground red pepper in small bowl; whisk until well blended.
Pour over tomato mixture; toss well. Cover and refrigerate several
hours to allow flavors to blend.
Toss together lettuce, jicama and cilantro in another large bowl.
Divide lettuce mixture evenly among 6 plates. Place 2/3 cup chilled
tomato mixture on top of lettuce, spreading to edges.

Source:
http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/Recipes/070/9907191070.htm

Mexican Gazpacho Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
1 cucumber, pared, halved and sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips

Salsa Dressing
1 cup tomato juice
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 teaspoons flour
1 tablespoon diced green chiles

Core, rinse and thoroughly drain lettuce. Refrigerate in closed plastic
bag or crisper.
Prepare remaining ingredients. To assemble salad, cut lettuce into 4
wedges; arrange in spoke fashion in salad bowl. Combine green onion,
cucumber, tomatoes and green pepper and heap into center of shallow
bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Serve with Salsa Dressing.

Serves: 4

Source: http://www.recipegoldmine.com/swsalads/swsalads20.html

Gazpacho Salad

1 md tomato, chopped
1/2 md cucumber, chopped
1/2 md green pepper, seeded and -chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 Tbsp parsley, freshly chopped

herb dressing:
3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice, freshly -squeezed
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp dijon-style mustard
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Instead of blending the vegetables to make the traditional soup, stop at
the chopping phase and serve as a salad. Combine first 6 ingredients in
13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Combine all ingredients for the Herb
Dressing and mix or whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour dressing over
the vegetables; toss gently Chill at least 2 hours. Arrange lettuce
leaves on serving platter. Spoon salad over leaves and serve.

Yield: 5 servings

One Serving = 1/2 cup Calories: 57 Protein: 2 g Fat: 3 g Carbohydrate:
7 g Fiber: 2.8 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 34 mg Potassium: 335 mg

Exchange: 1 Vegetable 1/2 Fat

Source: "The U.C.S.D. Healthy Diet for Diabetes, a Comprehensive
Nutritional Guide and Cookbook," by Susan Algert, M.S., R.D.; Barbara
Grasse, R.D., C.D.E.; and Annie Durning, M.S., R.D.

Source: http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/10052/

Gazpacho Salad

2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 qt. jar with screw lid

1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 sm. garlic clove
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. chopped parsley

In a one quart jar alternate layers of tomato, cucumber, pepper, onion
to make stripes. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over layers of
tomato etc. Screw lid on tightly. Chill overnight. Turn upside down for
part of chilling time to marinate evenly. Pour into salad bowl to
serve. Serves 6.

Source: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1843,144188-245195,00.html

Caputo's Gazpacho Salad

1 cup long grain rice, cooked
1/2 cup chuncky style salsa
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 cup V8 juice
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 lb. crab meat (or imitation crab)
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
4 green onions, chopped
2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed from cobs
1 bunch cilatro, chopped
red leaf or butter lettuce leaves
2 fresh limes sliced
Tabasco or other hot sauce

In a shaker jar combine the salsa, garlic, V8 juice, olive oil,
vineagar and chili powder and shake well. Refrigerate until you are
ready to prepare the salad.
In a medium mixing bowl combine all the remaining ingredients except
the lettuce leaves and lime slices, toss well with the prepared
dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

To serve, place a lettuce leaf on serving plates, spoon a serving of
the sald onto each plate and garnish with lime slices. Pass around
Tabasco or other hot sauce for those who like theirs a little spicier.

Source: http://recipes.ksl.com/recipe-10719i.php

Cool Summer Gazpacho Salad

Prep Time 20 minutes
Chill Time 1 hour

3 cups fresh DOLE Tropical Gold Pineapple, cut into chunks
2 cups chopped tomatoes, drained
1 large cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
4 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed

Stir together pineapple and remaining ingredients in large bowl. Cover;
chill 1 hour or overnight to blend flavors. Stir before serving.

Source: http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/Recipes/745/1511002745.htm

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

I like Neil Young a lot .
Kent 40 years I was 22 .

Forget it OHIO.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ohio.htm

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,

Don't Forget it OHIO.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ohio.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRX4R9cYeDQ
--
- Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

First time poster, but I've been reading this newsgroup for awhile. I
enjoy an 11.5 oz can of V8 every morning and got to thinking about
making my own. Not so much to taste exactly like it, but as a way to
not let anything from the garden go to waste.

I envision using tomatoes as a base ingredient and add whatever's ripe
at the time. Is there a brand of juicer that would be preferable over
say, a blender? I'd imagine retaining the maximum amount of
nutritional value would invole a different process than just smashing
vegies into juice.

We can and freeze, but there's always some goodies left over that I
just hate to throw in the compost. I'll bet you could come up with
some interesting flavors too ; ) Have any of you tried this?

Thanks

Newb

A blender would be better than a juicer. A juicer does a poor job of
straining soft fruits. A food mill or food stainer is much better for
soft fruits like tomatoes. I find the seeds and skins can give a bitter
taste to the juice. The food strainer removes the seeds and skins.
For fresh I would use a simple food mill. A powerful blender is easier
to use and can pulverize the skins and small seeds. However I will
sacrifice the extra nutrition and fiber that the skins and seeds may
have over taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Roma-Strainer-...000I6JUMA/ref=
sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273014905&sr=1-3

When the tomatoes come in, I preserve my own tomato juice and use that
for my base tomato drinks. I consumed my last jar of my homemade: tomato
juice two weeks ago, salsa two months ago, whole tomatoes three months
ago, I still have four jars of sauce left. I am planting more tomatoes
this year.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
(snip) V8 every morning (snip) Is there a brand of juicer that would be
preferable over
say, a blender?

The juicer that gets the most ticks amongst cancer survivors is the
Champion, but it's expensive. The enemy of good juice is air and
centrifugal juicers or blenders are considered inferior to ones that don't
allow excess contact with air.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 04 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Thank you! That's a great site, and I'd never heard of gazpacho
before. Definately added that to our 'we've got to try that' list.

Newb

Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 04 May 2010 14:39:18 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

Billy wrote:

gazpacho

Below from Rec.food.recipes

XLayered Gazpacho Salad
Diced Gazpacho Salad
Gazpacho Salad
Mexican Gazpacho Salad
Gazpacho Salad
Gazpacho Salad
Caputo's Gazpacho Salad
Cool Summer Gazpacho Salad

:snip:

Outstanding recipies, thanks Bill! My mouth is watering here. I'd
better go subscribe to that newsgroup too ; )

Newb

Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 04 May 2010 19:51:46 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Do you have one of those, Dan? One of the three reviews on that is
less than stellar.

Newb

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:17:25 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
(snip) V8 every morning (snip) Is there a brand of juicer that would be
preferable over
say, a blender?

The juicer that gets the most ticks amongst cancer survivors is the
Champion, but it's expensive. The enemy of good juice is air and
centrifugal juicers or blenders are considered inferior to ones that don't
allow excess contact with air.

I'll run the Champion by my wife. That looks like a top quality unit.

Thank you

Newb
Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
wrote in message
(snip) V8 every morning (snip) Is there a brand of juicer that would be
preferable over
say, a blender?

The juicer that gets the most ticks amongst cancer survivors is the
Champion, but it's expensive. The enemy of good juice is air and
centrifugal juicers or blenders are considered inferior to ones that don't
allow excess contact with air.

I have owned a Champion for over 15 years and like it very much. I
haven't tried it, but here is the V-8 recipe from the Owner's Manual:

--------- Cut here ---------
Champion V-8

5 to 6 carrots
1 beet
3 large tomatoes
1 bunch spinach
1/8 cabbage head
several kale leaves
1 red bell pepper
1 stalk celery
1/4 sweet onion
1/2 clove garlic
chili pepper (optional)
salt (optional)

Juice everything.

Notice there is no cooking to extract the juice. Everything is raw.

The Champion also excels in removing seeds from berries for making
seedless wild blackberry jam, for example.