Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preen

On Apr 7, 2:22*pm, Billy wrote:

Worst case
scenario is that you add young pokeweed leaves to your salads, along
with the dandelions, or serve them like spinach.

Then stupidly attempts to correct his deadly faux pas with :

Similar, I don't know. Potentially poisonous? Yes. Which is why I gave
references.{Add: which he apparently doesn't read } (This is not a safe world for fools. ) { Add: especially when they give ignorant and potentially dangerous "advice" they know nothing about} But, moreover,
pokeweed berries.... ( lame attempt to cover up faux pas)

If you like weekends (8 hr./day & 40 hr./week), then thank a labor union.
They paid for it in blood.

Better yet little billy, Thank the VET that gave him the country to
do that!
They got real skin in the game.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I'll more directly answer your question, without chasing rabbits....

I'm using it for the first time this year & so far it seems to work very
well. It's still early, so I only have onion sets & cabbage in the ground,
but nary a weed is popping up. Yes, follow the directions.

OK, I'll chase the rabbit a little bit. I do mulch my veggie garden with
tons of leaves & grass clippings, but the weeds still take over if you give
them half a chance.

Robert

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 7, 8:43*am, The Cook wrote:
On 6 Apr 2011 20:25:11 GMT, General Schvantzkoph

wrote:
Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. *Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. *Wait until after they have sprouted. *I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

How expensive is it? Where can you buy it?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a

How expensive is it? Where can you buy it?

Better to use a hoe around the veggies than some chemical that you might be
consuming. Most weed killers kill dicots like dandelions and tomato plants
are dicots also. Read the label if putting around food stuff to make sure
"they" say it is safe?

Its cheaper than the weed-in-feed stuff and available everywhere, local
hardware stores and garden centers. Some say it is better to use weed
killers first, like preen, and then a few weeks later the fertilizers
separately. The weed-in-feed Stuff can help the weeds grow as well and cost
more than if you purchase the weed killer, like preen and fertilizers
separately.

However, your going to put yourself in the chemical trap. The stuff is
probably not good for your soil. Those weed chemicals also kill the good
bugs like worms and spiders. When the good bugs are gone then the flying
bad bugs move in like the Japanese beetles and their offspring the grubs.
Then your going to want to use more chemicals to get rid off the grubs. If
you use the chemicals you will have a beautiful lawn for a few years, then
each year later the soil and the lawn starts to look worse and worse as the
years go by.

I find the best way to help reduce the weeds is by bagging your grass in
the spring. Spring is the time for weeds to grow. Simply mowing the yard
just spreads the weeds in the grass, so bag the grass and compost it. Then
late spring to mid summer let the grass grow tall and let the grass go to
seed. Then mow the yard without bagging. This helps your grass get thicker
and better. In the fall aerate the yard. Spread some fine compost if you
like in the fall. This method is cheaper but more labor intensive. With the
organic method above you will not have the best looking yard but it will
look better after many years go by from using the chemicals.

too early for Preen? Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 10-02-2004 03:23 PM
PREEN - does it work? Will Renkel Gardening 6 03-08-2003 03:32 PM
PREEN - does it work. Will Renkel Gardening 0 03-08-2003 01:02 AM
Preen In Corn? chaz Gardening 22 20-04-2003 04:32 PM
Preen on strawberries Tim B Edible Gardening 0 05-04-2003 09:08 PM