Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preen

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6 Apr 2011 20:25:11 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a

Is this the new product that is basically corn gluten?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.

Why not use newsprint and mulch to suppress weeds? It works well for me,
and keeps the worms happy.

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:49:00 -0700, Billy wrote:

wrote:

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.

Why not use newsprint and mulch to suppress weeds? It works well for me,
and keeps the worms happy.

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

The mulch distributor suggested Preen when I told him that the horse
bedding mulch that I bought from him last year was full of pokeweed seeds.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

wrote:

Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?

Yes, but make sure you follow the instructions. Don't put it anywhere
you are going to plant seeds. Wait until after they have sprouted. I
am thinking about putting it down pretty soon where my tomato plants
are going.

Why not use newsprint and mulch to suppress weeds? It works well for me,
and keeps the worms happy.

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

The mulch distributor suggested Preen when I told him that the horse
bedding mulch that I bought from him last year was full of pokeweed seeds.

The mulch distributor told you that the mulch was full of pokeweed
seeds? And this year, what's his prognostication on the pokeweed
content? I suspect that newsprint is cheaper than Preen oil. Worst case
scenario is that you add young pokeweed leaves to your salads, along
with the dandelions, or serve them like spinach.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Phytolacca%20americana
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h284.htm

I just paid $18 for a bale of alfalfa. That's a little pricey, but it
will hold down the newsprint, and last me all season long.

In his garden every man may be his own artist without apology or
explanation.
--Â*Â*Louise Beebe Wilder

Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Like a few other plants we eat are not poke weed berries toxic similar
to rhubarbs leaves or the nightshade family?

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

I told him that it was full of pokeweed. Here is a description of what I
used last year for the website of the distributor,

"It's base ingredient is horse bedding (wood shavings) from local horse
farms. Other ingredients included in the product are manure, hay, grain,
grasses, leaves, other organic material."

I had incredible yields last year, the first year that I used the stuff,
but I also had a lot a pokeweed that I had to pull. Pokeweed is poisonous
to humans unless you boil it several times, but I think horses like it
which would explain how the seeds got into the mulch.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

DO NOT USE RAW POKE WEED LEAVES FOR ANYTHING!!!
They are poisonous!! Poke requires a very special preparation to be edible.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Phytolacca%20americana
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h284.htm

I just paid $18 for a bale of alfalfa. That's a little pricey, but it
will hold down the newsprint, and last me all season long.

How many bales to cover 5000 sq ft? How many newspapers?
It's a great idea, but not feasible for a large garden.

In his garden every man may be his own artist without apology or
explanation.
--Â Â Louise Beebe Wilder

I agree and will use my new tiller without apology to anyone.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

The entire plant is poisonous. Very careful preparation is required for
edibility.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default seriously stupid advice

On Apr 7, 12:11*pm, Billy wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:49:00 -0700, Billy wrote:

... scenario is that you add young pokeweed leaves to your salads, along

with the dandelions, or serve them like spinach.

Eating Poke??? I have eaten a lot of Poke Salet, but admittedly never raw.

How does it taste billy?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear, poisonous plants in the garden.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Phytolacca%20americana
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h284.htm

I just paid $18 for a bale of alfalfa. That's a little pricey, but it
will hold down the newsprint, and last me all season long.

How many bales to cover 5000 sq ft? How many newspapers?

That would be about 8 bales, which would be $145. You don't read the
news paper? If you did read newpapers (which are not so hot these days),
it would save on landfill. An added bonus is as it breaks down, it feeds
the soil with organic material and nitrogen (N-P-K for alfalfa = 3-1-2),
so no additional compost is required, and less fish emulsion.
It's a great idea, but not feasible for a large garden.

80' X 50", large? No particular stress in it for me and my ticky ticker,
but your disability maybe more sever than mine.

In his garden every man may be his own artist without apology or
explanation.
--Â Â Louise Beebe Wilder

I agree and will use my new tiller without apology to anyone.

Good on you, Steve, and don't let the laughing bother you while you use
it for shallow hoeing of the weeds between the rows ;O)

How much you gonna pay for one of these global-warming, petroleum
burning, CO2 belching, OPEC enriching, tranquillity-destroying
contraptions, that cost money and time to maintain, more than $145?

-
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

If you like weekends (8 hr./day & 40 hr./week), then thank a labor union.
They paid for it in blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair

=

Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Similar, I don't know. Potentially poisonous? Yes. Which is why I gave
references. (This is not a safe world for fools.) But, moreover,
pokeweed berries make a damn fine ink, if anyone is still working in the
Paper Age. A few chicken feathers, some wood pulp, and you'll be ready
to revisit the 12th Century that our Republican guides are leading us to.

Bush's 3rd term: Obama

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

I realize that not everyone can follow directions.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Phytolacca%20americana
If you are one of those, pokeweed is best avoided, and as bill noted,
you should probably stay away from rhubarbs leaves, and the nightshade
family too.

"Though an old man, I am but a young gardener."
- Thomas Jefferson
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
http://wn.com/black_panther_party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug

too early for Preen? Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 10-02-2004 03:23 PM
PREEN - does it work? Will Renkel Gardening 6 03-08-2003 03:32 PM
PREEN - does it work. Will Renkel Gardening 0 03-08-2003 01:02 AM
Preen In Corn? chaz Gardening 22 20-04-2003 04:32 PM
Preen on strawberries Tim B Edible Gardening 0 05-04-2003 09:08 PM