Old 23-06-2011, 04:22 PM posted to alt.survival,rec.gardens.edible

Default Ohio food status

I talked to a Commercial farmer today at the green house. And he said he
doesn't see a food shortage crisis. But food prices are definitely going up.
As soon as the demand starts at harvest time. Its because of the rain. Its
the corn, soy, grain, that's hit hard. Here.

The green house sales are down too because people aren't buying much.
Saying that I was afraid I waited too long to plant my garden. But its
probably too early. All I've put in is leaf lettuce, onions , about a month
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Old 23-06-2011, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote:
I talked to a Commercial farmer today at the green house. And he said he
doesn't see a food shortage crisis. But food prices are definitely going up.
As soon as the demand starts at harvest time. Its because of the rain. Its
the corn, soy, grain, that's hit hard. Here.

The green house sales are down too because people aren't buying much.
Saying that I was afraid I waited too long to plant my garden. But its
probably too early. All I've put in is leaf lettuce, onions , about a month
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Corn under grow lights, why bother?

The only vegetables i grow indoors are peppers and tomatoes because they
need more than a hundred days of temperatures about fifty degrees. Most
veggies will go from seed to harvest in under a hundred days in Michigan.
From frost to frost in Michigan is about one hundred days. For everything
else the seeds go directly into the ground.

Things here in my part of Michigan seems to shaping up nicely. I would say
the heavy rains last month has delayed planting by three weeks. The last
two weeks of no rain was great and provided time for things to dry out. The
rain in the last two days was just in time. I have everything planted and
this morning the corn, green beans and cucumbers sprouted from the ground
and looking nicely. From the weather it looks like occasional showers for
next few days... Yes. Rain barrels full again.

When I went to the local green house I was surprised to see so many plants
for sale during mid June. Typically they have next to nothing this time of
year. The reason they did not buy here was because of the relentless rain
during the month of May. The green houses was packed with people last week.
Just a three week delay is my guess for veggies. I just hope for late
frost. An early frost could hurt because of the late plantings.

Old 23-06-2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:
I talked to a Commercial farmer today at the green house. And he said he
doesn't see a food shortage crisis. But food prices are definitely going
up.
As soon as the demand starts at harvest time. Its because of the rain.
Its
the corn, soy, grain, that's hit hard. Here.

The green house sales are down too because people aren't buying much.
Saying that I was afraid I waited too long to plant my garden. But its
probably too early. All I've put in is leaf lettuce, onions , about a
month
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in
my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Corn under grow lights, why bother?

And the soil temp needed to be 70. And i planned on June 5 to put the in.
but its too wet., And the pack said best seeded under lights.

The only vegetables i grow indoors are peppers and tomatoes because they
need more than a hundred days of temperatures about fifty degrees. Most
veggies will go from seed to harvest in under a hundred days in Michigan.
From frost to frost in Michigan is about one hundred days. For everything
else the seeds go directly into the ground.

Things here in my part of Michigan seems to shaping up nicely. I would say
the heavy rains last month has delayed planting by three weeks. The last
two weeks of no rain was great and provided time for things to dry out.
The
rain in the last two days was just in time. I have everything planted and
this morning the corn, green beans and cucumbers sprouted from the ground
and looking nicely. From the weather it looks like occasional showers for
next few days... Yes. Rain barrels full again.

When I went to the local green house I was surprised to see so many plants
for sale during mid June.

Exactly. Same here , they still have lettuce, but mines already done.

Old 23-06-2011, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Nad R" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:

-snip-
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in
my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Corn under grow lights, why bother?

And the soil temp needed to be 70. And i planned on June 5 to put the in.
but its too wet., And the pack said best seeded under lights.

Have you still got the packet? Variety? Source? What kind of
corn needs 70 degree soil?

all I've seen says 'as early as ground can be worked' -- or 'after all
danger of frost is past'.

-snip-

When I went to the local green house I was surprised to see so many plants
for sale during mid June.

Exactly. Same here , they still have lettuce, but mines already done.

Same in NY-- Crazy weather or too much stock? We've gone from cold
& rainy to 'too hot to plant' - about a week at a time since early
May.

Jim
Old 23-06-2011, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Nad R" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:

-snip-
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in
my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Corn under grow lights, why bother?

And the soil temp needed to be 70. And i planned on June 5 to put the
in.
but its too wet., And the pack said best seeded under lights.

Have you still got the packet? Variety? Source? What kind of
corn needs 70 degree soil?

I'm not sure where the pack is, but I found the other pack I got. , Its a
variety I didn't plant. And its 70F too. Its territorial seed co. how
sweet it is corn .Hybrid SH2. And it says SE and SH2 varieties minimum
soil temp is 70F. Planting them in colder soil will bring disappointment.
The other pack was sh2 also but it was from johnnies. I didn't plant them
together because johnnies pack said don't plant within 100 yards of other
corn. Or something like that. The pack said if they pollinate from other
corn it will ruin them.

I got the pack somewhere I only put in 32 plants . But they were just about
the same instructions. I didn't know about the cross pollination issue
though.

Diesel.

Old 23-06-2011, 11:58 PM posted to alt.survival,rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:22:27 -0400, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

I talked to a Commercial farmer today at the green house. And he said he
doesn't see a food shortage crisis. But food prices are definitely going up.
As soon as the demand starts at harvest time. Its because of the rain. Its
the corn, soy, grain, that's hit hard. Here.

The green house sales are down too because people aren't buying much.
Saying that I was afraid I waited too long to plant my garden. But its
probably too early. All I've put in is leaf lettuce, onions , about a month
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Don't worry, the light at the end of the tunnel is an 800 pound
gorilla with a flashlight.
Old 30-06-2011, 05:47 AM posted to alt.survival,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I talked to a Commercial farmer today at the green house. And he said he
doesn't see a food shortage crisis. But food prices are definitely going up.

The cost of a 4th of July barbeque
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ErxKn1kJ:http:
//www.foodpricetruth.org/press_news_6_26_08.htm+cost+of+4th+of+july+barbequ e&c
t=clnk

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

http://thesolarvillage.com/index.cfm?app=News&news=78
Why does renewable energy cost more than non-renewables? Oil, gas, coal
and nuclear get $300 billion (in the G 20 countries) a year in
subsidies...$300 billion a year...every year, for years and years and
years. Imagine the change in cost if that $300 billion was taken away
from oil, gas, coal and nuclear to be given to renewables like solar,
wind, geothermal, and biomass. 100% renewable energy would be doable. It
is our choice, with our tax dollars.
http://thesolarvillage.com/index.cfm?app=News&news=78
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/