Old 17-11-2013, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default acorn squash

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a
google and found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular
vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except
for Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Do they not grow Grammas in the south? I thought Gramma pie was a
bush standard.

Oh my, you be talkin' Strine now, aren't you?

Numero-uno: I doubt that any Bubba worth his salt would know what a
Gramma pie was. It's just plain pumpkin pie in these parts.

A gramma is a cucurbit with orange flesh that is particularly made into a
sweet(ish) pie and AFAIK not usually eaten as a vegetable. Whether you
would call it a winter squash or a pumpkin I have no idea.

Numero-two-o: By bush (not Bush) standard I presume that you mean
common to unsophisticated rural areas. Au contraire, mon ami, Gramma
pie is consumed in vast quantities during year end festivals by
cognoscenti, bumpkins, urbanites, suburbanites, and all the other
"ites" alike.

The 'bush' is everything outside cities and major regional centres and
includes areas where your neighbours are a few hundred metres away and the
outback where they might be a hundred kilometres away. It is where people
tend to have land to grow large plants like pumpkins and the tradition of
doing so. I wasn't making any comment on level of sophistication, it's
that city folk wouldn't eat gramma pie due to the lack of grammas and
knowing how to make it.

:-)) Indeed. City people seem to have lost many skills when it comes to
food and it's preparation.

I'm always stunned when I visit my sister in Sydney and look in her fridge
and pantry. Both are almost bare and I always think of the old saying about
'society being 7 meals away from anarchy'. I could eat out of my
fridge/freezer and pantry for at least a month but at my sisters I wonder
what they will eat for dinner (she seldom does any cooking at all and they
seem to eat out every night).

Old 17-11-2013, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Billy wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

sounds like Farm1 would call it a pumpkin.

around here grammas are people... some are sweet as pie.

songbird
Old 17-11-2013, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

Nope. Just plain old English.

Odd, here, there is a distinct prohibition against turning grammas into
pie. I don't seem to have appreciated the striking cultural differences
between the U.S., and Oz before ;O)

By Old English did you mean like From The Canterbury Tales:
The Miller's Prologue

Heere folwen the wordes bitwene the Hoost and the Millere
Whan that the Knyght had thus his tale ytoold,
In al the route ne was ther yong ne oold
That he ne seyde it was a noble storie,
And worthy for to drawen to memorie;
And namely the gentils everichon.
Oure Hooste lough, and swoor, "So moot I gon,
This gooth aright; unbokeled is the male,
Lat se now who shal telle another tale,
For trewely the game is wel bigonne.

Whoops, my bad. That's Middle English.

Old English would be like Beowulf

Hwæt! w? G?r-Dena in ?e?r-dagum, ??od-cyninga, ?rym ?efr?non, h? ??
æ?elingas ellen fremedon. Oft Scyld Sc?fing scea?ena ?r?atum, monegum
m???um, meodosetla oft?ah, egsode eorlas. Sy??an ?rest wear? f?asceaft
funden, h? ?æs fr?fre ?eb?d, w?ox under wolcnum, weor?myndum ??h, o??æt
him ??hwylc ??ra ymbsittendra ofer hronr?de h?ran scolde, gomban gyldan.
ÞÊt wÊs gMd cyning!

Hmmmmm. Too much of a reach, I suppose. My fonts seem to have crashed.
No matter. "Plain Old English" appears to be an oxymoron.

Think I'll continue eating sweet potato pie instead, in any event.

I'll save gramma for roasting, and served with frites.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

I was reading that in some western cities (eg New York) kitchens are being
converted to other uses (spare bedrooms, walk-in wardrobes etc) because the
occupants always eat out and that some new appartments are built without
one. No I can't recall when or who said so.

If you look at the way cities decay into anarchy in a few days due to
external events (eg weather extremes such as Katrina at New Orleans) we must
be very concerned about the fragility of such a way of life. As soon as the
power or fuel stop people will be hungry very soon. We are going to pass
through a transition away from a fossil fuel economy some time in the next
generation. I don't see myself as a doomsayer but I worry that the
transition will not be smooth. Many people would not be aware that in this
country we have had many thousands of city men tramping about the bush
looking for work/food. Sydney is now much bigger and more dependent on
remote supplies of food and energy than it was in the Great Depression.

Old 17-11-2013, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

That could all be solved if you Americans learned how to spell and use
language properly. Not knowing a donkey from a sphincter is unsttling
enough but given that the collective 'you' can't make a distinction between
your pumpkins and your female grandparents shouldbe of concern to every old
american lady as Halloween approaches.

My grandma died decades ago but her death had nothing to do with being put
into any pie in mistake for a gramma. ;-)

I don't seem to have appreciated the striking cultural differences
between the U.S., and Oz before ;O)

By Old English did you mean like From The Canterbury Tales:
The Miller's Prologue

The answer, of course, all in the detail. I used 'old English' as opposed
to 'Old English'.

[...]

You could try using 'plain old English' instead although to be gramamtically
nearer my old English teacher's dictates, I should have inserted commas so
it was 'plain, old English'.

Think I'll continue eating sweet potato pie instead, in any event.

Apparently sweet potato is low GI whereas pumpkin isn't. I like both as a
vegetable.

I'll save gramma for roasting, and served with frites.

Eeew! You will get done for murder when they catch you! How many grandmas
have you already roasted? And, although I shouldn't ask, but do they taste
like poultry which is what cannibals are reputed to have said?

Old 18-11-2013, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
[...]

I've read similar things for a few years. Being a keen and active cook, I
shudder at the thought, let alone the practice.

If you look at the way cities decay into anarchy in a few days due to
external events (eg weather extremes such as Katrina at New Orleans) we
must be very concerned about the fragility of such a way of life. As soon
as the power or fuel stop people will be hungry very soon.

Yep. Typhoon Haiyan being a current example.

We are going to pass
through a transition away from a fossil fuel economy some time in the next
generation.

What astounds me is that such a fact is not glaringly obvious to so many
people. We're living in post peak oil world by every account I've ever
managed to read on the subject and despite Himself's hobby of collecting and
driving old cars, we still try to be careful about our use of fuel and in
our purchasing of oil derived products. And as you'd know, oil derived
products are just about everything in and around a modern day house.

I don't see myself as a doomsayer but I worry that the transition will not
be smooth.

I know what you mean. I've read the Transitions Handbook and a lot of the
other literature but it seems that many people have not or if they do think
aobut the issues, they start to soudn like some of the radical 'preppers'
cites aroudn the web.

More sane, middle class people need to start thinking aobut the issues and
voting according to what they learn IMO. Additionally it wouldn't hurt if
they started gardens and learned some of the old skills such as learngint or
elaly cook not just assemble ingredients. I might someday come in handy.

Many people would not be aware that in this
country we have had many thousands of city men tramping about the bush
looking for work/food. Sydney is now much bigger and more dependent on
remote supplies of food and energy than it was in the Great Depression.

When I was interested in the Depression, I was fascinated when I found out
in my research that apparently Australia and Germany had the highest
unemployment rates during the Depression years. I'd always thought the US
was more impacted than anywhere else on earth but I guess the majority of
all images we have ever seen about the Depression come from the US. The
photographers they had in the US at that time were icons of B&W photgraphic
'art' and, even today, looking at their images still manages to say a lot
about the human condition IMO.

Old 18-11-2013, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

i hope for a long and slow but steady decline in some
aspects, but i have yet to see any civilization in historical
records that just fades quietly.

the amount of debt and the various ways the current system
is set up means that to unravel it will take quite a bit. to
do it slowly, orderly and with restraint isn't in the lexicon
of any society i've ever examined.

i'm not in the cities, but close enough that it is unlikely
i would survive a diaspora event here. there's just too many
of "them" and too few of "us".

songbird
Old 21-11-2013, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

Oh my, you've resorted to tarring all Americans with the same brush,
reducing unique individuals to a cookie cutter characterization. We were
just having a bit of fun, but there is no decent place for
dehumanization, but since you are just a ****ed, wanking Ocker, no harm
done ;O)

American-English orthography has no place for a cucurbit called Gramma.
We have a pumpkin, which is very precisely defined, if not in taxonomy,
it is in practice.

And it shouldn't be construed that there aren't some elderly women who
undoubtedly would be happy to share their pie with the less fortunate.
(Waiting for God: Season 3, Episode 6 )

My grandma died decades ago but her death had nothing to do with being put
into any pie in mistake for a gramma. ;-)

Just to be on the safe side, don't forget to pour some rum into the
custard. Give the ol' girl a reason to smile. ;O)

I don't seem to have appreciated the striking cultural differences
between the U.S., and Oz before ;O)

By Old English did you mean like From The Canterbury Tales:
The Miller's Prologue

The answer, of course, all in the detail. I used 'old English' as opposed
to 'Old English'.

We had a very clever author, some years back, who in his "nom de plume"
opined that he never had any respect for a man who only knew one way to
spell a word. Even though one of my history instructors inscribed on my
class project,"Dew ewe bee leave hymn?"

[...]

Old English "IS" old English, and it isn't plain, at least to me, at
all. You can get off by saying that you were a little bit wrong you
know. It's like saying that you're a little bit pregnant.

Remind me to look up plain, old english.

Think I'll continue eating sweet potato pie instead, in any event.

Apparently sweet potato is low GI whereas pumpkin isn't. I like both as a
vegetable.

Serving pumpkin/grammas as a vegetable/fruit is rarely/can't find a
reference used here in the colonies as a side dish. However it is
mushed-up and blended into pies, rolls, and soups. My sweety makes a
wonderful sweet potato/yam puree which is also a clove, cinnamon, ginger
delivery device.

I'll save gramma for roasting, and served with frites.

Eeew! You will get done for murder when they catch you! How many grandmas
have you already roasted? And, although I shouldn't ask, but do they taste
like poultry which is what cannibals are reputed to have said?

Too many carbs?!!

Where did you get off talking about roasting grandmothers? Are you in a
plane wreck, high in the Andes?

According to the "Gourmet" section of the Wagga Wagga, Daily Advertiser,
the flavor is more like pork, ergo it's epithet, "long pig". I believe
roasting with pineapple, prunes, leeks, and potatoes would be called for.
Oh, and be sure to pour on at least a cup of brandy, gramma would like
that ;O)

http://alangraysonemails.tumblr.com/...ea-party-no-mo
re-popular-than-the-klan
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 21-11-2013, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

Well I guess that will have to be the last time I try a bit of irony without
adding emoticons.

Old 21-11-2013, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

You're not going to come out and play? :O) -- emoticon
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 22-11-2013, 08:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"

wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

Not today Billy. I've had a hard couple of days. I'll play on some other
day.

Old 23-11-2013, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"

wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
.
au.
..
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

[...]

Hope you're feeling better soon.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Compact Acorn Squash Bill Litchfield Edible Gardening 3 17-09-2004 04:43 PM
When to pick acorn squash? nutNhoney Edible Gardening 3 19-08-2004 03:20 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 6 31-07-2004 06:29 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 0 27-07-2004 01:57 PM
oak acorn bread Human civilization is based on the staple acorn! Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM