Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default acorn squash

years ago we'd eat them and liked them, then the
stores started carrying them with little flavor so
we stopped buying them.

last year someone gave us a few acorn squash and
we cleaned 'em out and cooked 'em up. not really
all that good either, so i didn't think much of it
and put the innards from the squish into the worm
bins.

this spring planting i used the worm compost in
the gardens as usual and we had some volunteer
squash plants come up. most i will trim off so
they don't disrupt the gardens, but a few here or
there i let go as they can run into the pathways
or along an edge. basically, it's free food of
the sort we both like, so we are happy to have them.

this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent. whew! so it wasn't that they'd
ruined the crop/seed line, but it was poor growing
and harvesting too early. we cooked up another few
squishes tonight and again were very happy with the
acorn squash. didn't need to put a thing on them.
i've saved those seeds to use again in the coming
years.

i like it when a plan comes together, even when
there really wasn't a plan at all...

songbird

Compact Acorn Squash Bill Litchfield Edible Gardening 3 17-09-2004 04:43 PM
When to pick acorn squash? nutNhoney Edible Gardening 3 19-08-2004 03:20 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 6 31-07-2004 06:29 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 0 27-07-2004 01:57 PM
oak acorn bread Human civilization is based on the staple acorn! Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM