Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default acorn squash

years ago we'd eat them and liked them, then the
stores started carrying them with little flavor so
we stopped buying them.

last year someone gave us a few acorn squash and
we cleaned 'em out and cooked 'em up. not really
all that good either, so i didn't think much of it
and put the innards from the squish into the worm
bins.

this spring planting i used the worm compost in
the gardens as usual and we had some volunteer
squash plants come up. most i will trim off so
they don't disrupt the gardens, but a few here or
there i let go as they can run into the pathways
or along an edge. basically, it's free food of
the sort we both like, so we are happy to have them.

this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent. whew! so it wasn't that they'd
ruined the crop/seed line, but it was poor growing
and harvesting too early. we cooked up another few
squishes tonight and again were very happy with the
acorn squash. didn't need to put a thing on them.
i've saved those seeds to use again in the coming
years.

i like it when a plan comes together, even when
there really wasn't a plan at all...

songbird
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
years ago we'd eat them and liked them, then the
stores started carrying them with little flavor so
we stopped buying them.

skip to :

like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent. whew! so it wasn't that they'd
ruined the crop/seed line, but it was poor growing
and harvesting too early. we cooked up another few
squishes tonight and again were very happy with the
acorn squash. didn't need to put a thing on them.
i've saved those seeds to use again in the coming
years.

i like it when a plan comes together, even when
there really wasn't a plan at all...

songbird

Acorns are one of our favorites . To bad they weren't more productive
this year , we only got four . Next year though ... we like them split and
the seeds scraped out , then packed with brown sugar and a big pat of butter
and baked . Also pretty good baked with the cavity filled with canned
cranberries not the jelly stuff , the berries .
--
Snag
Do put a cookie

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

i like it when a plan comes together, even when
there really wasn't a plan at all...

serendipity

Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:
Acorns are one of our favorites . To bad they weren't more productive
this year , we only got four . Next year though ... we like them split and
the seeds scraped out , then packed with brown sugar and a big pat of butter
and baked . Also pretty good baked with the cavity filled with canned
cranberries not the jelly stuff , the berries .

i just split these and baked them (350F for 1hr)
with a little water added to the pan.

i didn't add any thing else as they were already
so sweet and tasty they didn't need a thing. i'm
trying to avoid added sugars as much as i can these
days (no specific health reason other than the fact
that i feel a heck of a lot better).

ok, time to get to work... got a pile of apples
to turn into apple sauce.

songbird
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

i like it when a plan comes together, even when
there really wasn't a plan at all...

serendipity

as my sister says, "We accept!"

i now have a nice pile of cleaned and dried
seeds ready for next year.

songbird

Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:54:09 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Snag wrote:

Acorns are one of our favorites . To bad they weren't more productive

this year , we only got four . Next year though ... we like them split and

the seeds scraped out , then packed with brown sugar and a big pat of butter

and baked . Also pretty good baked with the cavity filled with canned

cranberries not the jelly stuff , the berries .

i just split these and baked them (350F for 1hr)

with a little water added to the pan.

i didn't add any thing else as they were already

so sweet and tasty they didn't need a thing. i'm

trying to avoid added sugars as much as i can these

days (no specific health reason other than the fact

that i feel a heck of a lot better).

ok, time to get to work... got a pile of apples

to turn into apple sauce.

songbird

Try them with your favorite stuffing. Grandma's chestnut stuffing is just great!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google and
found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for
Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google and
found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for
Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

hmm, well i like scones, so i'm pretty sure i'd like
them with pumpkin in them too...

in the USoA a common November/Thanksgiving/December/Christmas
pie is pumpkin pie, which is a sweet custard with pumpkin and
spices. i think that is where many of us get the idea that
pumpkin and sweet go together. and probably the added fact
that almost any food here in the states is now loaded with
extra sugars/carbohydrates of one kind or another.

it is one of our favorite foods (pumpkin/squash).

as a very young kid (about 2yrs old) i was said to
have climbed the cupboard drawers and sat on the
counter and feasted on two pumpkin pies. alas, i have
no memory of the event, but i do not doubt it as i'd
probably still climb cupboards if i had to...

songbird
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

(snip)
[...]

The pumpkin in this case is what the French call "citrouille". In the
U.S. it is basically a cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove delivery system.

it is one of our favorite foods (pumpkin/squash).

as a very young kid (about 2yrs old) i was said to
have climbed the cupboard drawers and sat on the
counter and feasted on two pumpkin pies. alas, i have
no memory of the event, but i do not doubt it as i'd
probably still climb cupboards if i had to...

songbird

--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:44:04 PM UTC-5, Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)

this season a few of those were acorn squash and

had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other

day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked

like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow

to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the

flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google and

found out that its a winter squash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash

so that (and the butternut)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash

is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for

Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

We're in Maryland, USA. My wife cooks pumpkins like squash, served as a vegetable at dinner. She also makes excellent pumpkin pies. We tried making custard in a pumpkin shell once; I liked it but she didn't think it was worth the effort, other than for the novelty of the presentation.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/m92cx4xc...n-custard.html

If we have a good pumpkin crop, we keep some to throw to the sheep as a treat during the winter.

Paul

Old 16-11-2013, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google
and found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for
Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Do they not grow Grammas in the south? I thought Gramma pie was a bush
standard.

Old 17-11-2013, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
[...]

Perhaps it once was. I haven't herd of anyone growing Gramma for years. I
must see if I can find some seeds.

Old 17-11-2013, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
[...]

Oh my, you be talkin' Strine now, aren't you?

Numero-uno: I doubt that any Bubba worth his salt would know what a
Gramma pie was. It's just plain pumpkin pie in these parts.

Numero-two-o: By bush (not Bush) standard I presume that you mean common
to unsophisticated rural areas. Au contraire, mon ami, Gramma pie is
consumed in vast quantities during year end festivals by cognoscenti,
bumpkins, urbanites, suburbanites, and all the other "ites" alike.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 17-11-2013, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
[...]

A gramma is a cucurbit with orange flesh that is particularly made into a
sweet(ish) pie and AFAIK not usually eaten as a vegetable. Whether you
would call it a winter squash or a pumpkin I have no idea.

Numero-two-o: By bush (not Bush) standard I presume that you mean
common to unsophisticated rural areas. Au contraire, mon ami, Gramma
pie is consumed in vast quantities during year end festivals by
cognoscenti, bumpkins, urbanites, suburbanites, and all the other
"ites" alike.

The 'bush' is everything outside cities and major regional centres and
includes areas where your neighbours are a few hundred metres away and the
outback where they might be a hundred kilometres away. It is where people
tend to have land to grow large plants like pumpkins and the tradition of
doing so. I wasn't making any comment on level of sophistication, it's that
city folk wouldn't eat gramma pie due to the lack of grammas and knowing how
to make it.

Old 17-11-2013, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
[...]

Nope. Just plain old English.

Compact Acorn Squash Bill Litchfield Edible Gardening 3 17-09-2004 04:43 PM
When to pick acorn squash? nutNhoney Edible Gardening 3 19-08-2004 03:20 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 6 31-07-2004 06:29 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 0 27-07-2004 01:57 PM
oak acorn bread Human civilization is based on the staple acorn! Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM