Old 30-06-2014, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mushroom ID

I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help me ID
these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're growing and
the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !
--
Snag

Old 30-06-2014, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
--
Snag

Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/07/2014 2:38 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Even if a number of people who post here swear on a stack of bibles that
they are safe to eat, I'd still be wary given how toxic some mushrooms
can be.

I pick and eat field mushrooms but even then I'm wary given that there
have been a number of deaths in near proximity to where I live form
mushroom poisoning.

Do you have any higher education institutes near you where there might
be a mycologist on staff?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Even if a number of people who post here swear on a stack of bibles
that they are safe to eat, I'd still be wary given how toxic some
mushrooms can be.

I pick and eat field mushrooms but even then I'm wary given that there
have been a number of deaths in near proximity to where I live form
mushroom poisoning.

Do you have any higher education institutes near you where there might
be a mycologist on staff?

We eat field mushrooms too. Only if two of us have no doubt about the
identity, one person has any doubts - out.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Even if a number of people who post here swear on a stack of bibles
that they are safe to eat, I'd still be wary given how toxic some
mushrooms can be.

I pick and eat field mushrooms but even then I'm wary given that there
have been a number of deaths in near proximity to where I live form
mushroom poisoning.

Do you have any higher education institutes near you where there might
be a mycologist on staff?

I'll call the county extension agent , he might have or know someone . I
don't know of anyone in the area that is a 'shroom hunter , have to check .
My neighbor knows everything else , maybe ...
--
Snag

Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:18:45 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help me ID
these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're growing and
the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

I won't offer any opinion on the mushroom identity but, I'd recommend
a cautious check on some of the other vegetation growing around them.
In the photo showing the tip of your shoe, compare the plant above and
to the left of the mushrooms, at about 11 o'clock, as well as the one
to the right of your toe to this: http://tinyurl.com/3ylv9h

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

I won't offer any opinion on the mushroom identity but, I'd recommend
a cautious check on some of the other vegetation growing around them.
In the photo showing the tip of your shoe, compare the plant above and
to the left of the mushrooms, at about 11 o'clock, as well as the one
to the right of your toe to this: http://tinyurl.com/3ylv9h

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada

Yup , looks a lot like poison ivy . But it isn't , it'll be a tree when if
, it's in the power line easement it grows up . I'm especially careful to
avoid PI , not because it bothers me but because my wife reacts badly to it
.. If I think I've been in it , I put my clothess directly in the washer and
my body into the shower .
Thanks for the thought !
--
Snag

Old 01-07-2014, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

You are in Arkansas, I think. There's a great mycological (mycology=study of fungi) society there. I have a friend or two in that group (I've been picking and eating wild fungi for more than 40 years). Do a Google search for NAMA (North American Mycological Society). They will list affiliated groups, find one near you and join in.
Steve
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Will do , Steve , and thanks so much for your help in IDing these guys .
Yes , we're in Stone County Ar. on top of the Boston Mountains . We got all
kinds of wonderful stuff growing out in the woods !

--
Snag

Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

:-)) We use exactly the same system. We had a bumper crop here out in
the paddocks just a couple of months ago - large cane shopping baskets
full of them and they were delicious.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help me ID
these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're growing and
the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

I won't offer any opinion on the mushroom identity but, I'd recommend
a cautious check on some of the other vegetation growing around them.
In the photo showing the tip of your shoe, compare the plant above and
to the left of the mushrooms, at about 11 o'clock, as well as the one
to the right of your toe to this: http://tinyurl.com/3ylv9h

Now that sort of post is guaranteed to get people to click on the link :-)

I've always wondered what poison ivy looks like. And now that I've
done a google hunt on it I find that it is a member of the rhus family -
I wonder if we have any native to this country - next google job......

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Supposedly the cashew plant is related to poison ivy.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Late summer and fall are prime mushroom times at least in Western NC. I've been on forays that didn't get more than a couple hundred yards or so. Be super careful if you intend to eat wild fungi. There are thousands of species out there and while only a few are deadly, there are many that might make one think (or wish) he is dying.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/30/2014 12:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

First two photos look like slightly-aged Smooth Chanterelles.
What you need here is a hands-on knowledgable and *experienced* shroomer
to show you the diff between the edibles and any lookalikes.
So join a club, if there's one anywhere around!
(I can not speak for ones in the other photos, and while I don't
necessarily think they are harmful I don't claim they are the same
species, either.)
Old 03-07-2014, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

First two photos look like slightly-aged Smooth Chanterelles.
What you need here is a hands-on knowledgable and *experienced*
shroomer to show you the diff between the edibles and any lookalikes.
So join a club, if there's one anywhere around!
(I can not speak for ones in the other photos, and while I don't
necessarily think they are harmful I don't claim they are the same
species, either.)

The other 'shrooms in my photos are identical , I picked this one in the
same spot . Unfortunately the only guy I've found that is close enough to
help me grows his own , said he found so few edibles here that he quit
hunting . With no one near to help me learn and identify I've decided to
limit my 'shroom hunting to the grocery store shelves ...
Plus right now I've got a case of hives , dunno where it came from . Might
be a reaction to handling that mushroom , might be from a couple of bee
stings earlier this week , might be something I ate .scratch scratch
--
Snag