Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mushroom ID

On 7/3/2014 9:06 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
On 6/30/2014 12:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to be
chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to help
me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where they're
growing and the one I picked to ID them .
We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

First two photos look like slightly-aged Smooth Chanterelles.
What you need here is a hands-on knowledgable and *experienced*
shroomer to show you the diff between the edibles and any lookalikes.
So join a club, if there's one anywhere around!
(I can not speak for ones in the other photos, and while I don't
necessarily think they are harmful I don't claim they are the same
species, either.)

The other 'shrooms in my photos are identical , I picked this one in the
same spot . Unfortunately the only guy I've found that is close enough to
help me grows his own , said he found so few edibles here that he quit
hunting . With no one near to help me learn and identify I've decided to
limit my 'shroom hunting to the grocery store shelves ...
Plus right now I've got a case of hives , dunno where it came from . Might
be a reaction to handling that mushroom , might be from a couple of bee
stings earlier this week , might be something I ate .scratch scratch

If he says he is growing his own chanties, then I think maybe he is a liar.
And JFTR, there can most definitely be *very* similar looking species
growing amongst one another. Proximity is no way to ID anything,
presumption here is really not an option if you want to live long.
I _personally_ don't know anyone who's had an allergy to chanties, ...
OTOH when I grew up nobody heard of anyone in the world ever having
allergy to peanuts, either.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nelly W wrote:

If he says he is growing his own chanties, then I think maybe he is a
liar. And JFTR, there can most definitely be *very* similar looking
species growing amongst one another. Proximity is no way to ID
anything, presumption here is really not an option if you want to
live long. I _personally_ don't know anyone who's had an allergy to
chanties, ...
OTOH when I grew up nobody heard of anyone in the world ever having
allergy to peanuts, either.

No , he's not cultivating Chanterelles , here's a quote from his email to
me :

"As far as edible mushrooms are concerned, I cultivate the ones we eat,
pluroteus ostreatus, pluroteus eryngii, and hericium erinaceus. I have
tried cultivating some others, unsuccessfully.

because i have found so few edible species in my nature walks in north
central arkansas, i never go looking for them now."

And yes , I know proximity is no indicator . But when you see a cluster of
mushrooms that all look identical , I believe it would be safe to assume
they're the same . Moot point , because I'm not going to be eating them . I
suspect I am sensitive to something in/on those shrooms , 24 hours after I
picked it I'm bustin' out in hives and they are the only thing different in
things I do/eat/handle .

--
Snag

Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/4/2014 8:47 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Nelly W wrote:

[...]

I always feel compelled to stress the importance of judging each
specimen on its own merits, is all. I've found the little orange wax
caps amongst chanties many times, but they are pretty harmless.
Hives? Jeepers. Guess it's a good thing you didn't try eating them.
Although I don't suppose it could've been surrounding vegetation? Giant
hogweed?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nelly W wrote:

[...]

I don't really know what triggered it , might have been handling that
mushroonm , might have been the 2 bee stings on monday . Seems to be
lessening today , but then I've been taking the max dose of benadryl .
--
Snag

Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nelly W wrote:

[...]

In all my years of picking and eating from the wild, I've only seen one example of negative reaction to chanterelles. I group of friends and I along with a journalist (who was detailing our foray) were passing about a bottle of chanterelle infused vodka. The journalist had severe throat swelling and severe shortness of breath. Lucky one of the group had some benadryl.

Be careful when trying something new. Only eat a small amount until you see if it affects you. It pays to use caution with new things especially with all the food allergies today.

I teach a wild edibles class once in a while and I've found that I can't eat day lily blossoms. Everyone knows the whole plant is edible but I can't eat the blooms without severe facial itching and tingling. So, go easy on new things until you know.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/07/2014 6:29 AM, Steve Peek wrote:

In all my years of picking and eating from the wild, I've only seen one example of negative reaction to chanterelles. I group of friends and I along with a journalist (who was detailing our foray) were passing about a bottle of chanterelle infused vodka. The journalist had severe throat swelling and severe shortness of breath. Lucky one of the group had some benadryl.

Be careful when trying something new. Only eat a small amount until you see if it affects you.

I don't think I'd be trying even a small amount of an unkown fungi.

There have been multiple warning in the media here following the deaths
that arose from eating the wrong sort of fungi that ingesting even a
small amount of some of the more toxic fungi can cause major system
damage.

The warnings might be over cautious but given that fungi death results
from damage to the liver I take the warnings seriously. I'm rather fond
of my liver. I think if I drank booze I'd probably be even more fond of
it as I'd use it more than I currently do.