Old 27-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Andrew McMichael

Default Kill Ants Organically?

Pan Ohco wrote:

Try instant grits. Put about a teaspoon on the mound, it works for
fire ants. The workers take it into the mound and feed it to the
queen. The grits expand and kill the queen.

This is silliness. Ants eat grain all the time and it doesn't kill them. Your
grits may drive them away, but not for the reason you think. That's sorta like
claiming that you shouldn't throw rice at weddings because birds eat it and
die when it expands in their stomachs.

Ants and Grits:

http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm

(and a more scientific treatise)
http://fireants.tamu.edu/research/ar...4/97-01pg4.pdf

Birds and Rice:

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/horrors/birdrice.htm

Andrew
Old 28-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Pan Ohco

Well Pam then that urban legend is working for me. As soon as a fire
ant mound shows up, I put grits on it and in a couple of days its
gone. I've kept my lawn here in Alabama ant free for quite a few
years.
Pan Ohco

I just think they don't like your cooking.

Well that could be true, Just never thought of that
Pan Ohco
Old 28-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Pan Ohco

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:07:10 -0500, Andrew McMichael
wrote:

Pan Ohco wrote:

Try instant grits. Put about a teaspoon on the mound, it works for
fire ants. The workers take it into the mound and feed it to the
queen. The grits expand and kill the queen.

This is silliness. Ants eat grain all the time and it doesn't kill them. Your
grits may drive them away, but not for the reason you think. That's sorta like
claiming that you shouldn't throw rice at weddings because birds eat it and
die when it expands in their stomachs.

Folks I did not mean to start a fight. And yes the reason that I
stated for the death of the ants , might well be an urban myth.

But I don't care if the ants stone each other with the grits.
Direct observation shows that putting grits on a fire ant mound works
to destroy the mound.

Try the experiment and see if it works for you, it works for me.

Pan Ohco
Old 28-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:25:01 -0500, Pan Ohco
wrote:

But I don't care if the ants stone each other with the grits.
Direct observation shows that putting grits on a fire ant mound works
to destroy the mound.

Experience beats theory, every time...well, *almost* every
time. Does in my book, anyway.

Pat (a pragmatic, practical Pat)

Old 30-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:25:01 -0500,
Pan Ohco scribbled:

wrote:

Pan Ohco wrote:

Try instant grits. Put about a teaspoon on the mound, it works for
fire ants. The workers take it into the mound and feed it to the
queen. The grits expand and kill the queen.

Folks I did not mean to start a fight. And yes the reason that I
stated for the death of the ants , might well be an urban myth.

Might?

But I don't care if the ants stone each other with the grits.
Direct observation shows that putting grits on a fire ant mound works
to destroy the mound.

No it doesn't, which is the point. All you're doing is disrupting
the mound. If you disrupt a fire ant mound, they will move the
entrance. Disrupt it enough and they will move the mound.
You are not, I repeat, *not* killing a single fire ant.

Try the experiment and see if it works for you, it works for me.

I expect your neighbors are just thrilled that you fatten up the
fire ants before sending the mounds over into their yards.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"

Old 31-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Pan Ohco

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:28:23 GMT, Pam Rudd
wrote:

All you're doing is disrupting
the mound. If you disrupt a fire ant mound, they will move the
entrance. Disrupt it enough and they will move the mound.
You are not, I repeat, *not* killing a single fire ant.

Try the experiment and see if it works for you, it works for me.

I expect your neighbors are just thrilled that you fatten up the
fire ants before sending the mounds over into their yards.

Pam

And putting food (as you claim) around a mound, disrupts it how.

Pan Ohco
Old 10-09-2003, 04:17 AM
Pam

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:51:51 -0500, Pan Ohco
secretly encoded this message:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:28:23 GMT, Pam Rudd
wrote:

please note appropriate snipping

All you're doing is disrupting
the mound. If you disrupt a fire ant mound, they will move the
entrance. Disrupt it enough and they will move the mound.
You are not, I repeat, *not* killing a single fire ant.

And putting food (as you claim) around a mound, disrupts it how.

shrug Ask the ants. Or ask the experts.

Have you ever done as I suggested and googled for
information on the behavior and life cycle of fire ants?
I would really like to know what it is you think you're
accomplishing when you those facts in hand.

Hint: Nary a grit makes it to the queen.

Pam

--
Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
-Cordelia, BtVS

Old 11-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Culturalenigma

wrote:

please note appropriate snipping

All you're doing is disrupting
the mound. If you disrupt a fire ant mound, they will move the
entrance. Disrupt it enough and they will move the mound.
You are not, I repeat, *not* killing a single fire ant.

And putting food (as you claim) around a mound, disrupts it how.

shrug Ask the ants. Or ask the experts.

Have you ever done as I suggested and googled for
information on the behavior and life cycle of fire ants?
I would really like to know what it is you think you're
accomplishing when you those facts in hand.

Hint: Nary a grit makes it to the queen.

Pam

I don't know how to get rid of them short of digging up tghe whole yard and
repl;acing it. My mother has them very badly in her yard adn weve had them
for years there.

trai