Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 AM
HCN

Default Flowers I can eat???

"COcon28932" wrote in message
This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to

know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay

away
from!

If you go to www.amazon.com and do a search on "edible flowers" you get
several hits, including:
The Edible Flower Garden: From Garden to Kitchen: Choosing, Growing and
Cooking Edible Flowers by Kathy Brown

Old 06-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:40:32 GMT, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Finally, after 30-40 yrs of growing them, I tried them last year.
1. Pick in the AM before the bees get in them.
2. Use the male flowers- [the ones without fruit] ,
3. leave a tail, and place in a vase in a sunny window-- that might
get them to open in the afternoon-- [if there is another trick to
getting them to open so they stuff easier, could someone speak up?]
4. Stuff with mozzerella cubes & whatever 'feels good'- I've used
mushrooms, various spices, cheeses-- and I'm going for the anchovies
this summer.
5. use a simple batter of 1 cu. flour, salt, pepper, 1 Tbl oil & water
to make runny like pancake batter.
6. grab by the tail & deep fry. . . .

I will remember the opening-in-water advice. How come you don't
mention any sort of chile in the stuffing? Maybe there could be a sort
of veg tur-duck-en -- chiles stuffed with squash blossoms stuffed with
cheese?

Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Tom Eisenman

Of course some flowers are famously poisonous. Foxgloves and Delphiniums
will kill you dead.

Daylilies (hemerocallis) are edible and since their blossoms only last one
day you aren't losing as much by eating a few.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:52:07 -0400, "Tom Eisenman"
sorry@absolutelynospam wrote:

Of course some flowers are famously poisonous. Foxgloves and Delphiniums
will kill you dead.

Daylilies (hemerocallis) are edible and since their blossoms only last one
day you aren't losing as much by eating a few.

They're very pretty in salads. Not a heck of a lot of
taste, but they sure make the salad look good.

Pat
Old 08-06-2003, 12:56 AM
montana

In article ,
Pat Meadows wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:52:07 -0400, "Tom Eisenman"
sorry@absolutelynospam wrote:

Of course some flowers are famously poisonous. Foxgloves and Delphiniums
will kill you dead.

Daylilies (hemerocallis) are edible and since their blossoms only last one
day you aren't losing as much by eating a few.

They're very pretty in salads. Not a heck of a lot of
taste, but they sure make the salad look good.

Pat

I enjoy pansies, violets, nasturtiums, & calendula in salads. You can
eat carnations, but they (and roses) tend to taste like they smell,
which I find unpleasant. You can eat dianthus, geraniums, hibiscus,
hollyhock, honeysuckle, lavender, marigolds, peonies, primrose, tulips,
begonias, daisies, poppies, and the flowers from most vegetables & herbs.

Don't eat flowers that you have not grown yourself. Too many have traces
of pesticides.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:52:14 -0400, montana
wrote:

I enjoy pansies, violets, nasturtiums, & calendula in salads. You can
eat carnations, but they (and roses) tend to taste like they smell,
which I find unpleasant. You can eat dianthus, geraniums, hibiscus,
hollyhock, honeysuckle, lavender, marigolds, peonies, primrose, tulips,
begonias, daisies, poppies, and the flowers from most vegetables & herbs.

I wonder about the hollyhocks - I always thought they were
poisonous?

Pat