Old 26-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Dave Allyn

Default slightly OT -- wine recipies

An old friend of mine (my father's really) used to make homemade wine
all the time in the basement. He had several large wine casks he
used, and lots of people actually were after his wine alot. he never
sold it, just gave it away. He has since died. My question is this:
How do you make wine? I know there are kits out there, and I have
looked at them, but they all seem to have a powder you add to the mix,
and you have to keep ordering the powder from them. does anyone have
a good recipe?

another friend of mine always said you could make wine out of almost
any fruit, and he used apples, peaches, pears, whatever he could find.

I know this is OT, but I didn't really want to have another NG to
keep up on, and hoped you guys might be able to help out....

thanks again...

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 26-06-2003, 12:08 PM
JohnDKestell

Hey,
I'm a beer brewer myself.

Traditionally, you would just crush up the fruit and that powdery white stuff
on the fruit (which is loaded with yeast) was used to ferment the brew. but
you never know what to expect.

if you have a copy of reader's diget "Back to Basics", there is a good recipe
there.

and tons on the web too.

as a brewer i'll tell you, keep things CLEAN CLEAN and CLEANER! man you can
make some nasty stuff if you aren't careful.

if you want, I can dig up some recipes laying around

john
Old 26-06-2003, 12:20 PM
The Cook

"Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn) wrote:

[...]

There is a newsgroup rec.crafts.winemaking that you might try. I know
nothing about it but it should be worth a look.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Old 26-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
The Cook wrote:

"Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn) wrote:

An old friend of mine (my father's really) used to make homemade wine
all the time in the basement. He had several large wine casks he
used, and lots of people actually were after his wine alot. he never
sold it, just gave it away. He has since died. My question is this:
How do you make wine? I know there are kits out there, and I have
looked at them, but they all seem to have a powder you add to the mix,
and you have to keep ordering the powder from them. does anyone have
a good recipe?

another friend of mine always said you could make wine out of almost
any fruit, and he used apples, peaches, pears, whatever he could find.

I know this is OT, but I didn't really want to have another NG to
keep up on, and hoped you guys might be able to help out....

thanks again...

oops, sorry about the blank post...

Anyhow, I received a recipe for tomato wine from a nice woman on another
group that I could post when I get home tonight if you'd like it. It
takes about a year for it to come of "age" and then it's more like a
mild, slightly sweet brandy.

--
Steve

Old 26-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Rich McCormack

"Dave Allyn (Dave Allyn)" wrote:

An old friend of mine (my father's really) used to make homemade wine
all the time in the basement. He had several large wine casks he
used, and lots of people actually were after his wine alot. he never
sold it, just gave it away. He has since died. My question is this:
How do you make wine? I know there are kits out there, and I have
looked at them, but they all seem to have a powder you add to the mix,
and you have to keep ordering the powder from them. does anyone have
a good recipe?

another friend of mine always said you could make wine out of almost
any fruit, and he used apples, peaches, pears, whatever he could find.

I know this is OT, but I didn't really want to have another NG to
keep up on, and hoped you guys might be able to help out....

thanks again...

Use the following link to visit my beer and cider making page.
On the page, I've reduced the process down to about as basic
as it can get. The only hardware required is a gallon jug,
stopper to fit the jug and a length of plastic tubing. Most
any fruit juice can be substituted for the apple juice. I've
gotten acceptable results using canned frozen concord grape
juice. Granted, I wouldn't pour it to accompany a fine filet
mignon for dinner, but it works great mixed with lots of ice
and lemon-lime soda for making wine coolers to quench the
thirst on hot summertime afternoons.

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/beerpage.html

--
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those
who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
Old 26-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Dan Mazerolle

For all the info you need go to
winemaking.jackkeller.net

Old 26-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:14:34 -0400,
Steve Calvin proclaimed:

Anyhow, I received a recipe for tomato wine from a nice woman on another
group that I could post when I get home tonight if you'd like it. It
takes about a year for it to come of "age" and then it's more like a
mild, slightly sweet brandy.

Oh yes! Please do.

It sounds like a fun thing to try.

Pam, Brandywine tomato brandywine, anyone?

---
"Oh no, not again."
- A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death
Old 26-06-2003, 07:32 PM
tippy1

JohnDKestell wrote:

Hey,
I'm a beer brewer myself.

Traditionally, you would just crush up the fruit and that powdery white stuff
on the fruit (which is loaded with yeast) was used to ferment the brew. but
you never know what to expect.

if you have a copy of reader's diget "Back to Basics", there is a good recipe
there.

and tons on the web too.

as a brewer i'll tell you, keep things CLEAN CLEAN and CLEANER! man you can
make some nasty stuff if you aren't careful.

if you want, I can dig up some recipes laying around

john

John,

I would like to have a recipe for a red wine if you have it.
--

Squire
Old 26-06-2003, 07:32 PM
tippy1

Steve Calvin wrote:

Steve Calvin wrote:
The Cook wrote:

"Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn) wrote:

[...]

Hey Steve,
I would love to try this one! Would you mind sending the recipe?
--

Squire

Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Dave Allyn

thanks for the help.. I looked at he tomato wine recp you posted...
FINALLY!! something to use all my extra toms for!

on the other hand, I did check out rec.crafts.winemaking shortly after
the post. 700+ messges later.... managed to find a link to a
website that has ALL the basics, and TONS of recipies. a VERY good
site IMHO... Link is below.

rambling begins
To tell you the truth, I actally learned alot in a short time... not
just about winmaking, but about wild fruits, grapes, etc. I never
knew what the white on the grapes was, but Now I understand the
importance my mom always put on washing the grapes before making juice
when I was a kid... There is lots of other information about how
the process works, what each part does, and how things can go wrong...
to anyone interested in makeing, or just bored and interested, check
it out!
/rambling

here's the link I promised:
Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net

Old 28-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Dave Allyn"
(Dave Allyn) wrote:

[...]

The powder was probably winemaker's yeast. You can ferment just about
anything. We make raspberry and rhubarb wine up here (seperately) in Alaska.
Do a web search. You'll find LOADS of help.

Jan

champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 25 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
Half Wine Barrels Pete United Kingdom 5 15-05-2003 10:44 PM
Wild Blackberries (wine) Rob Smith Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer kevin bailey Bonsai 6 03-02-2003 10:40 PM
Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer Daze Bonsai 0 26-01-2003 04:35 AM