Old 28-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Cecelia Medbery

Default Green Tomatoes????

I have six HUGE tomato plants that are very weighted down with beautiful
tomatoes...that are green! They won't turn red. What am I doing wrong?

Cecelia

Old 28-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 02:05:06 GMT, "Cecelia Medbery"
wrote:

I have six HUGE tomato plants that are very weighted down with beautiful
tomatoes...that are green! They won't turn red. What am I doing wrong?

Same situation here, for the third summer in a row. I don't
know - of course - what the problem is in your case, but I
think I know what it is here.

I wrote to our extension agent, and received an interesting
reply.

He said (paraphrased) that the 'maturity dates' given on
seed packets are delayed by four days each time the *average
temperature in a 24 hour period* is below 70.

(I'd assume this cannot be a hard-and-fast thing, but must
be an 'average'.)

Well, we have cool nights here. The *average* temperature
for most of the summer *is* going to be below 70. Say, it's
80 in the daytimes, and 50 at night: this gives an average
temperature for the 24-hour period of 65. Ooops. Delayed
ripening.

The tomatoes will eventually ripen but this may not happen
until *after* the first frost date (first week in October
here) - in other words, it may never happen.

We are in the mountains in northern PA, and - for the most
part - have very pleasant, enjoyable summers. Non-ripening
of tomatoes is the price we pay for the cool summers.

My husband and I are building a hoophouse (unheated
greenhouse) shortly, and next summer I plan to grow my
tomatoes in the hoophouse to give them some protection from
the cool nights. I hope this will work much better. It's
not the only reason I want a hoophouse, but it's one of the
reasons.

Pat
Old 28-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Steve Calvin

wrote:

[...]

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

--
Steve (Mid-Hudson Valley, New York)

Old 28-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:39:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

I'd sort of figured (informally) that the tomatoes don't
like the cool nights.... anyway, this rather explains it,
doesn't it?

You know: this year, I started my tomatoes from seed. I
transplanted the first two plants (Early Girls) into the
garden in WalloWaters on May 8. MAY 8!

They were LARGE plants by then, I'd transplanted them
several times and they were about 18" tall, and stocky.
Here it is July 28 and no ripe tomatoes! Early Girl is
supposed to ripen in 59 days after transplanting (according
to Burpee's catalog).

Mine were transplanted to the garden about 80 days ago...
and they were much larger than most transplants when I set
them out. No ripe tomatoes yet.

It will be interesting to see if the hoophouse improves
matters.

Pat

Old 28-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

PS (see earlier answer) - I think the fact that the Brits
normally grow tomatoes under glass (in greenhouses) gives at
least some credence to this. Their summers are fairly cool
(by our standards).

We have a friend who lives around the corner from us - he's
English. They moved to the USA three years ago: this is
their fourth summer here.

He just routinely continued to grow his tomatoes in an
unheated (plastic) greenhouse - I don't think he was even
aware that most Americans don't grow them under glass, at
first.

He's had many more ripe tomatoes than I have for the last
two years (we only moved here two years ago).

Pat
Old 28-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Ross Reid

"Cecelia Medbery" wrote:

I have six HUGE tomato plants that are very weighted down with beautiful
tomatoes...that are green! They won't turn red. What am I doing wrong?

Cecelia

Do you know what variety they are?
We grow at least 8 or 10 different varieties every year, most of them
heirloom. For the last 4 or 5 years, we've grown two varieties that
don't turn red, Aunt Ruby's German Green and Evergreen. Both are
excellent tasting.
Also, since you don't say where you're located, it may be too early in
the season for ripening tomatoes. Our tomato plants are also loaded
with tomatoes but, it'll be at least another 2 weeks, probably longer
before any of them ripen, either red or green.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West
Old 28-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Mike Stevenson

I grew a variety of tomato called 4th of July that is sopposed to have one
of the earliest ripening dates of any tomato. As the name implies if you get
them in the ground soon enough, and the weather cooperates you'll have ripe
tomatoes by 7/4. I got mine in the ground on May 8th. My first ripe tomato
actually came off my Sweet Treat cherry tomatoes lol! That was about 2 weeks
ago. The first 4th of July came about a week ago. I just pulled 5 ripe
tomatoes off the 4th of July tomato, and many more are beginning to ripen.
Many Sweet Treats are also ripening, and 1 of my Big Mama tomatoes has
started turning yellow. None of the Burpee's Burgers and Brandy Boys are
even close to ripening, they just keep getting bigger and bigger.

My weather has been almost exactly like yours (Pat) this year, aside from
the fact we've had far warmer days (and nights) during this month.

Old 28-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:42:12 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote:

[...]

The first week in July was hot here - temps in the high 80s.

I don't think we've had any temperature over 80 since then -
pretty cool. I know we've not turned the air conditioners
on since that first week in July - haven't felt the need for
air conditioning. It's nice for people, although not for
tomatoes!

It's not unusual for it to get down into the 40s here at
night in summer, and very occasionally, summer nights have
temperatures in the 30s.

Pat
Old 29-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Cecelia Medbery

Do you know what variety they are?

I wouldn't swear to it, but I am pretty sure they are Big Boy or something
like that. I bought them as plants from Wal-Mart.

Also, since you don't say where you're located, it may be too early in
the season for ripening tomatoes.

I live just south of Omaha, NE.

As for the temperature, we have had it over 100 several days and the
evenings haven't been much relief (sometimes the low is not even down to
70).

The only other thing I can think of is to not watch as the first reply
suggested. LOL

Cecelia

Old 30-07-2003, 04:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

I'd sort of figured (informally) that the tomatoes don't
like the cool nights.... anyway, this rather explains it,
doesn't it?

I wonder if anyone in the NG who experienced the cold wet spring has
ripe tomatoes. All my tomatoes aren't ripe yet...I thought I messed
up, too much nitrogen or such.

My "4th of July" (Burpee, 49 days) and "Healthy Kick Plum" (Burpee,75
days) are in ground 70! days. All still needs to grow some and are
green or whitish green. My "Burpee Burger" (72) and "Big Mama" (80)
are also behind. I don't expect either to harvest for ..im guessing ..
2-4 weeks.

How long do tomatoes take to ripen, once it starts to change color?
(generally)

You know: this year, I started my tomatoes from seed. I
transplanted the first two plants (Early Girls) into the
garden in WalloWaters on May 8. MAY 8!

They were LARGE plants by then, I'd transplanted them
several times and they were about 18" tall, and stocky.
Here it is July 28 and no ripe tomatoes! Early Girl is
supposed to ripen in 59 days after transplanting (according
to Burpee's catalog).

Mine were transplanted to the garden about 80 days ago...
and they were much larger than most transplants when I set
them out. No ripe tomatoes yet.

It will be interesting to see if the hoophouse improves
matters.

Pat

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 30-07-2003, 10:07 PM
sueb

"Cecelia Medbery" wrote in message ...
Do you know what variety they are?

I wouldn't swear to it, but I am pretty sure they are Big Boy or something
like that. I bought them as plants from Wal-Mart.

Also, since you don't say where you're located, it may be too early in
the season for ripening tomatoes.

I live just south of Omaha, NE.

As for the temperature, we have had it over 100 several days and the
evenings haven't been much relief (sometimes the low is not even down to
70).

The only other thing I can think of is to not watch as the first reply
suggested. LOL

Have you planned your summer vacation? They should all ripen during
that period! :-)

As near as I can tell, tomatoes are the only semi-sentient vegetable.
Their one power is the ability to read a calendar, determine when it'll
be most inconvenient, and ripen all fruit then.

I'm going on a 2 week business trip. I'm the only certified tomato
lover in the family (and I do all the gardening). My tomato plants
are aware....

Susan B.
Old 31-07-2003, 06:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

I'd sort of figured (informally) that the tomatoes don't
like the cool nights.... anyway, this rather explains it,
doesn't it?

I wonder if anyone in the NG who experienced the cold wet spring has
ripe tomatoes. All my tomatoes aren't ripe yet...I thought I messed
up, too much nitrogen or such.

My "4th of July" (Burpee, 49 days) and "Healthy Kick Plum" (Burpee,75
days) are in ground 70! days.

I just found one ripe 4th of July all alone at the bottom of the
plant. Another cluster is yellowing. Finally.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Mike Stevenson

Hehe don't feel too bad buddy my Health Kicks didn't even survive. I got the
4th of July's in the ground around May 8th, got my first ripe fruit from
them about 2 weeks ago. My roommate has started calling them the August 1st
tomatoes to make fun of me hehe. I am sure this has to do with some luck,
but mostly weather. Something rather odd is that one of my Big Mama tomatoes
is almost ripe, but ONLY one! The rest are still very much green and show no
sign of ripening. One of the Brandy Boy's is just starting to ripen. I
actually got my first ripe fruit from the Sugar Snack cherries (I keep
calling them Sweet Treats), and now the plant is producing at least a few
fruit each day, the 4th of July producing 1 or 2 ripes every other day.
The Burpee Burger is just now showing signs of ripening, and still only one
fruit...

Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:05:12 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote:

Hehe don't feel too bad buddy my Health Kicks didn't even survive. I got the
4th of July's in the ground around May 8th, got my first ripe fruit from
them about 2 weeks ago. My roommate has started calling them the August 1st
tomatoes to make fun of me hehe. I am sure this has to do with some luck,
but mostly weather. Something rather odd is that one of my Big Mama tomatoes
is almost ripe, but ONLY one! The rest are still very much green and show no
sign of ripening. One of the Brandy Boy's is just starting to ripen. I
actually got my first ripe fruit from the Sugar Snack cherries (I keep
calling them Sweet Treats), and now the plant is producing at least a few
fruit each day, the 4th of July producing 1 or 2 ripes every other day.
The Burpee Burger is just now showing signs of ripening, and still only one
fruit...

Contrary to everyone's doleful outdoor-tomato experiences
this year, we've had really nice results with the Red Robins
that have been growing indoors on our big bay window ledge.

These are true miniatures, mine are in 6" pots. A slightly
larger pot would be nice, but they'll manage in 6" pots.

We have nine plants - yesterday, I picked 20 cherry-sized
tomatoes from them. This is plenty for one good-sized
helping of tossed salad...We have about that many to pick
today as well.

The Red Robins have been producing very nicely for quite a
while now, maybe a month or six weeks. I think they're
determinate plants and therefore won't produce fruit
indefinitely, but they've surely been fine so far.

These have a terrific flavor, IMHO - they have the 'real
old-fashioned tomato taste'. They aren't as sweet as some
cherry tomatoes.

Seeds are available from Shumway:

http://www.rhshumway.com/index.cfm

I'm starting seeds for more of these and for Yellow Canary
(indeterminate) in a day or two - for growing on into the
winter.

I don't know if tomatoes are day-length sensitive or not:
if they are, I can supplement the natural lights with a
fluorescent light or two.

If anyone *does* know whether or not tomatoes are day-length
sensitive, would you please post it? Thanks.

Pat