Old 25-01-2003, 02:59 AM
Lee Hall

Default What tomato varieties are you growing this year?

I would be interested in knowing what the tomato lovers in the group
are growing this year. I will be growing plants for my friends that
have been tested in my garden and will grow some new varieties for
myself.

Here are the ones I have grown successfully befo

Clear Pink Early
Mortgage Lifter (pink/red)
Black Brandywine

And the varieties I will be trying for the first time:

Mortgage Lifter (red VFN)
Oxheart
Bull's Heart
Rose
Micro-Tina
Tropic VFN
Neptune
Kentucky Beefsteak
Ponderosa Red
Super Sioux

I had planned to just grow 5-6 plants but here I go again with 10. I
think I am addicted.

Happy Gardening,
Lee Hall
Tennessee - southern end of Zone 6B
Old 25-01-2003, 03:21 AM
zxcvbob

Lee Hall wrote:

I would be interested in knowing what the tomato lovers in the group
are growing this year. I will be growing plants for my friends that
have been tested in my garden and will grow some new varieties for
myself.

Here are the ones I have grown successfully befo

Clear Pink Early, Mortgage Lifter (pink/red), Black Brandywine

And the varieties I will be trying for the first time:

Mortgage Lifter (red VFN), Oxheart, Bull's Heart, Rose,
Micro-Tina, Tropic VFN, Neptune, Kentucky Beefsteak,
Ponderosa Red, Super Sioux

I had planned to just grow 5-6 plants but here I go again with 10. I
think I am addicted.

I'll probably just grow Principe Borghese (sp?) and Sausage again. They
did very good for me last year. Maybe one more variety, but I haven't
decided yet. "Sausage" didn't seem very productive at first, but each
fruit had an amazing amount of meat to it.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 25-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Roger

I am going to raise "Tropic" this year as always

Roger
To answer - remove the obvious
Old 26-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Jim Carter

On 24 Jan 2003 18:59:00 -0800, (Lee Hall) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I would be interested in knowing what the tomato lovers in the group
are growing this year.

This will be the first time I have grown tomatoes from seeds. I ordered the
following and will plant only one or two of each. I live near Ottawa, Canada so
the growing season is short.

Husky Red

These were given to me by the local nursery where I had purchased some other
supplies. A short growing season and supposedly good flavour.

Bush Celebrity

I had not heard of these, but saw them in the on-line listing of some seed
suppliers. They only grow to 15 inches tall. Wow! I can grow these indoors.
Another half dozen sites confirmed the height.

A few hours after the postman dropped off the seeds I checked again. Still,
just 15" tall. Wot? One site, and only one site, told me they grow to 3-4 feet
in diameter. AAAARRRGGH!

I intend to grow these in a couple of pots on the patio.

Early Girl

For obvious reasons in this uncivilised climate.

Manitoba

Same reason as the Early Girls as well as seeing how a strain developed for
Canada tastes.

Beefmaster

There is web site run by a newspaper in the Yukon that has a contest for largest
tomato and ugliest tomato. Beefmaster wins both categories: how could I
resist?

Brandywine (pink)

Like the Beefmaster, these take a long time before the fruit is ripe. Taste is
supposed to be the best, but because of the lateness of the fruit I do not
expect to have them for long.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Old 26-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:18:08 -0500, Jim Carter
wrote:

Brandywine (pink)

Like the Beefmaster, these take a long time before the fruit is ripe. Taste is
supposed to be the best, but because of the lateness of the fruit I do not
expect to have them for long.

I grew Brandywine last year. I will never grow them again
in this climate - I think we had TWO ripe tomatoes from
them. Bah.

The plants got huge, and one of them collapsed its cage -
they have funny-looking leaves, btw, different from other
tomatoes I've grown - but they didn't set much fruit and
what fruit they did have, didn't ripen.

Pat
-- Pat Meadows - In Pennsylvania's northern
mountains, at about 1600 feet - one of the
colder areas of Zone 5
Old 27-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Zphysics1

Jubilee
Black Krim
Pineapple
Persimmon
Green Zebra ( always)
Juliette
Rose de Berne
Brandywine ( maybe)
Lemon
Old 27-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Lee Hall

(Zphysics1) wrote in message ...
Jubilee
Black Krim
Pineapple
Persimmon
Green Zebra ( always)
Juliette
Rose de Berne
Brandywine ( maybe)
Lemon

I wonder if the "Juliette" you refer to is the same as the "Juliet" I
grew last year. I was absolutely overrun with them. The Juliets were
a Roma type tomato but a little smaller than the true Romas. This was
one of the three plants I treated at planting time with mycorrhizae
solution and it turned out to be the biggest plant in my garden, even
dwarfing the large Mortgage Lifter plant. If I had to guess, I would
say this single plant produced around 300-400 tomatoes. There were a
few things I didn't like about them. I shouldn't be surprised but
they weren't very tasty for eating off the vine. I suppose they are
intended for making sauce or paste so I froze most of mine and use
them in vegetable soup. They are quite adequate for this purpose. I
read somewhere that they were better than most tomatoes of their type
at holding on the vine but this was not my experience. After a hard
rain or strong wind, I would have little Juliet tomatoes all over the
ground.

I think I will pass on them this year. I really prefer the big tasty
beefsteaks or the Clear Pink Early for small tomatoes with a big
taste. I will grow the Micro-Tina but only for the novelty and so I
can brag about having my first ripe tomato in April. : ^ )

Lee Hall
South End of Zone 6B in Tennessee
(but we are having a 6A winter this year)
Old 29-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Zphysics1

I wonder if the "Juliette" you refer to is the same as the "Juliet" I
grew last year. I was absolutely overrun with them. The Juliets were
a Roma type tomato but a little smaller than the true Romas. This w

Yes, it is. I grew it in large container and
Old 29-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Zphysics1

Yes, it is. I grew it in a large container and let it starve a bit. Worked
fine for me. I still have a few tomatoes from the suckers I transplanted.
However, they were not as good as Celebrity. I grew Health Kick as well and
found that bland.

I started seeds from last year's crop last week and they are about an inch high
now. Of course, having a warm 'winter' in So Calif helps :-)

/z.

Old 31-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Jo

I'm going to grow Santa again this year. Last year I got several plants
from seeds I picked out of a salad from our local deli. They grow great and
what the heck. Free seeds. The kids like to pick these tiny treats.

I got some great orange bell peppers from a grocery store pepper last year
too. They grow great here as long as they are in a container.

Jo
Zone 4b - New Brunswick

Old 02-02-2003, 04:02 AM
Brad

I am looking for a good tasting tomatoes variety; which to me means one
that has
very low sugar and is highly acidic. (I am in Zone 9)

Suggestions?

om...

Old 02-02-2003, 04:18 AM
zxcvbob

Brad wrote:

I am looking for a good tasting tomatoes variety; which to me means one
that has
very low sugar and is highly acidic. (I am in Zone 9)

Suggestions?

How about one of the very old commercial varieties, like Marglobe? My
parents used to grow those in East Texas. I tried them last year in
Minnesota and they didn't ripen. I'll give them another chance in a
year or two.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 02-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Brad wrote:

I am looking for a good tasting tomatoes variety; which to me means one
that has
very low sugar and is highly acidic. (I am in Zone 9)

Suggestions?

How about one of the very old commercial varieties, like Marglobe? My
parents used to grow those in East Texas. I tried them last year in
Minnesota and they didn't ripen. I'll give them another chance in a
year or two.

Best regards,
Bob

My dad used to grow these in his garden in northern ohio and they were
very heavy producers.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:01 AM
FarmerDill

Brad wrote:

I am looking for a good tasting tomatoes variety; which to me means one
that has
very low sugar and is highly acidic. (I am in Zone 9)

AS mentioned by others, Marglobe and its successor Rutgers would seem to meet
your taste requirements. Marion is a the same type but more suited to SE
conditions, Even the hybrid round reds like Fanatastic and SuperSonic are good
canning types. Depending on where you are in Zone 9 you may have a heat
problem. If so Homestead or one of the Florida tomatoes may be more suitable