Old 23-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Bill Litchfield

Default Weird Weather

Out here in the wilds of Washington State, we're still having Summer! My
tomatoes and peppers are still blooming and ripening and we've had temps in
the 80's much of this month. Our first really good frost is likely tonight,
and then three days from now the forecast is calling for 80 degrees again.
I dunno...have never seen such warm weather this late in the year here. Is
anyone else in other areas of the country having wacky weather?

Regards,
Bill

Old 23-10-2003, 05:02 PM

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:06:31 -0700, "Bill Litchfield"
wrote:

Out here in the wilds of Washington State, we're still having Summer! My
tomatoes and peppers are still blooming and ripening and we've had temps in
the 80's much of this month. Our first really good frost is likely tonight,
and then three days from now the forecast is calling for 80 degrees again.
I dunno...have never seen such warm weather this late in the year here. Is
anyone else in other areas of the country having wacky weather?

We have had weird weather all year.

The first (heavy) frost here in our corner of northern
Pennsylvania was on October 2. It's been sleeting most of
the morning today.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 24-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Thomas

I can't imagine that your complaining of it still being warm. well, I think
we set a new record high today in Dallas...91. Beats the heck out of sleet
and snow! I'm still harvesting chili pequins....mmmmm gonna have some good
hot vinegar for that spinach. grin

Old 05-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Bill

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:06:31 -0700, Bill Litchfield wrote:

Out here in the wilds of Washington State, we're still having Summer! My
tomatoes and peppers are still blooming and ripening and we've had temps in
the 80's much of this month. Our first really good frost is likely tonight,
and then three days from now the forecast is calling for 80 degrees again.
I dunno...have never seen such warm weather this late in the year here. Is
anyone else in other areas of the country having wacky weather?

Regards,
Bill

Yup ... on the threat of snow last week I pulled my tomatoes out. Smells
to be me ... we still haven't had first frost! Deep planted garlic is
showing shoot tips.

(Not that I am complaining, mind you ... but if it aint coming, would
somebody please let me know for certain so I can get my ground replanted?)

Bill

Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 PM

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:26:11 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

Yup ... on the threat of snow last week I pulled my tomatoes out. Smells
to be me ... we still haven't had first frost! Deep planted garlic is
showing shoot tips.

(Not that I am complaining, mind you ... but if it aint coming, would
somebody please let me know for certain so I can get my ground replanted?)

We had several heavy frosts, temps down to around 25 F.
Fine.

Then it got warm.... and it's been very warm for about the
last two weeks - 50-70s. This is annoying!

Very frustrating. It could have waited on the frosts, you
know, and then we'd have had the tomatoes (etc.) much
longer. I already miss the tomatoes!

Pat

Old 05-11-2003, 02:42 PM
joe s

warm?!? its been high 80s here with 90%+ humidity...

now THAT is warm..warm and uncomfortable

Old 09-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Noydb

Bill wrote:

Yup ... on the threat of snow last week I pulled my tomatoes out. Smells
to be me ... we still haven't had first frost! Deep planted garlic is
showing shoot tips.

(Not that I am complaining, mind you ... but if it aint coming, would
somebody please let me know for certain so I can get my ground replanted?)

Bill

First frost November 7, 2003; 28.9F was the low in my backyard (corner of
I-96 and Telegraph Rd. in Detroit, MI)

It is 22.1F as I write this at 3:30 a.m. on the morning of the 9th.

Well, time to get the rest of the garlic in, I guess.

Sigh ... I wish it would stay summer about 11 months and get spring and fall
over with in the other month. No need for winter at all.
:-)

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
I operate my own mail server (Postfix on Mandrake Linux). The above address

Old 09-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Noydb said:

First frost November 7, 2003; 28.9F was the low in my backyard (corner of
I-96 and Telegraph Rd. in Detroit, MI)

It is 22.1F as I write this at 3:30 a.m. on the morning of the 9th.

I had light, patchy frosts in October. The big whomp arrived overnight on
the 7th, though. My mutant sugar maple (which seems to think it's an oak)
finally started dropping leaves.

The lawn is going to need another mow or two.

Well, time to get the rest of the garlic in, I guess.

Got mine planted, got a bale of straw ready to mulch the bed.

Sigh ... I wish it would stay summer about 11 months and get spring and fall
over with in the other month. No need for winter at all.

NO way... I'd like winter to be a little less gloomy (and a tiny bit shorter).
I think we could maybe double up on September and October and repeat the
first half of May two or three times, skipping November, February and part of
January, along with some of the muggiest summer days.

And winters should have plenty of snow. Not all at once, though. Repeated
snowfalls, no more than 4 inches at a time.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 09-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:29:39 -0500, Noydb
wrote:

Bill wrote:

Yup ... on the threat of snow last week I pulled my tomatoes out. Smells
to be me ... we still haven't had first frost! Deep planted garlic is
showing shoot tips.

First frost November 7, 2003; 28.9F was the low in my backyard (corner of
I-96 and Telegraph Rd. in Detroit, MI)

It is 22.1F as I write this at 3:30 a.m. on the morning of the 9th.

Two days in a row (Wed, Thu) of record 85F here in SE Virginia.
Yesterday the weathercritters began reporting windchill numbers, and
overnight temperatures in the 20s somewhat inland. It's a balmy 45F
right now.

Sigh ... I wish it would stay summer about 11 months and get spring and fall
over with in the other month. No need for winter at all.
:-)

Try Hawaii. 80F year 'round in many parts. I *like* seasons, although
I'd also like the wealth to enjoy a carefree attitude toward summer
and winter utility bills.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:12 PM

wrote:

Bill wrote:

Yup ... on the threat of snow last week I pulled my tomatoes out. Smells
to be me ... we still haven't had first frost! Deep planted garlic is
showing shoot tips.

(Not that I am complaining, mind you ... but if it aint coming, would
somebody please let me know for certain so I can get my ground replanted?)

Bill

First frost November 7, 2003; 28.9F was the low in my backyard (corner of
I-96 and Telegraph Rd. in Detroit, MI)

Hehe. First frost here in Pennsylvania's chilly Northern
Tier: October 2. Low temperature that night was 26 F.

Since then, we've had several heavy frosts but a lot of nice
warm weather as well.

Last night was cold: I have a min-max thermometer so I know
the lows -- it was 11 F here last night. We have a very
heavy frost on the ground. I think the Swiss chard froze -
darn, I should have covered it up. The kale is fine.

It is 22.1F as I write this at 3:30 a.m. on the morning of the 9th.

Well, time to get the rest of the garlic in, I guess.

Sigh ... I wish it would stay summer about 11 months and get spring and fall
over with in the other month. No need for winter at all.

I need a rest. I don't need as LONG a rest from
gardening as I'll get, but a couple of months would be nice.
Say, about two-three months.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.