Old 15-07-2014, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weird weather

This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a
downpour last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today
is mainly clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west.
It seems to b e a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious
downpours - one succeeding the other.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-07-2014, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a
downpour last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today
is mainly clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west.
It seems to b e a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious
downpours - one succeeding the other.
--

Sacha

The HOT bit is yet to come, you just wait!!!

I am afraid that I am partly to blame as I had to rearrange two sets of my
water butts. The 5 behind the garage had got a 'tilt' on the platform they
were on so I used them on the beds and stripped 3 of the five out, levelled
up and waited for the rain. The one under the veranda at the back of the
house, well, the base it was standing on collapsed and we have had to have a
new stand and new butt!! The was a dustbin full of water in that one, so you
tell how low we are on that one. However, the one at the side of the house
is almost full.

urglers who visit us will know the ones I am talking about.

Mike

Old 15-07-2014, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...

This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a downpour
last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today is mainly
clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west. It seems to b e
a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious downpours - one
succeeding the other.

The trouble for us is that we seldom get the heavy downpours, all our
friends say we live in a dry spot. Time after time we phone people who tell
us it's pouring where they are, only a few miles away, but it's dry here or
we go visit and when leaving it's pouring there only for the roads to become
dry as we approach home. Could it partly be Heathrow? I wonder if the
constant plane movements through the clouds break them up like the rockets
they use in the fruit growing parts of France to disperse hail storm clouds.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-07-2014, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Sacha" wrote...

[...]

Bob that's not as daft as it may first appear. When the planes were grounded
due to that volcano, the skies were clear of vapour trails. We had blue
skies nearly all the time over the Isle of Wight. The Island is directly
under the flight path from Europe and when you watch the flight plot on the
computer it's amazing just how many 'bits of machinery' there are up there.
www.flightradar.com

Mike

Old 15-07-2014, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 07:43:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a
downpour last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today
is mainly clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west.
It seems to b e a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious
downpours - one succeeding the other.

St. Swithin's Day is 15 July so we are in for 40 days of whatever the
weather is like today.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 15-07-2014, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/07/14 07:43, Sacha wrote:
This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a
downpour last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today is
mainly clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west. It
seems to b e a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious downpours
- one succeeding the other.

I prefer that over endless drizzle.

However my neighbours down the hill were not impressed with the monsoon
and marble sized hailstones last week - quite a lot of flash flooding.
My lawn was under an inch of water just on account of the clay.
Old 15-07-2014, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-15 08:45:34 +0000, Tim Watts said:

On 15/07/14 07:43, Sacha wrote:
This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a
downpour last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today is
mainly clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west. It
seems to b e a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious downpours
- one succeeding the other.

I prefer that over endless drizzle.

So do I and a good soak is very beneficial to the garden - but only if
the sun comes back!

However my neighbours down the hill were not impressed with the monsoon
and marble sized hailstones last week - quite a lot of flash flooding.
My lawn was under an inch of water just on account of the clay.

We didn't see hail but we had some torrential rain for a while and the
paths were running with water. But it's back to watering every morning
now.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-07-2014, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-15 08:45:34 +0000, Tim Watts said:

On 15/07/14 07:43, Sacha wrote:
This is such a weird year for weather! I'd have sworn we'd get a
downpour last night but we got a tiny drizzle and then nothing. Today is
mainly clear blue sky and the wind is just a zephyr from the west. It
seems to b e a year of prolonged dry spells and then ferocious downpours
- one succeeding the other.

I prefer that over endless drizzle.

So do I and a good soak is very beneficial to the garden - but only if
the sun comes back!

However my neighbours down the hill were not impressed with the
monsoon and marble sized hailstones last week - quite a lot of flash
flooding. My lawn was under an inch of water just on account of the clay.

We didn't see hail but we had some torrential rain for a while and the
paths were running with water. But it's back to watering every morning now.

Here in "Wet Wales" we didn't get enough rain to do any good, in fact it
didn't even wash the privet flowers off the car, we had a few heavy
showers none lasting more than 10 min in the evening, so it's on with
the watering, but what precipitation we had will be enough to get the
weeds growing.
David @ a dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 15-07-2014, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-15 08:45:34 +0000, Tim Watts said:

On 15/07/14 07:43, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Your weather sounds about as 'reliable' as ours! We've had a week or
starting out bright and sunny each morning and then slowly clouding
over and becoming grey and muggy. Last Monday I drove down here from
Bridgwater and could hardly see the road for rain and spray at times.
We've barely had a drop since.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com