Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 AM
hort-4
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  #2   Report Post  
Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Henriette Kress
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

hort-4 wrote:

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.


Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Best of RHOD: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/rhod
  #3   Report Post  
Old 04-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.

Steve

hort-4 wrote:

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


  #4   Report Post  
Old 04-01-2004, 07:02 PM
simy1
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

Henriette Kress wrote in message news:[email protected]
hort-4 wrote:

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.


Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.

Henriette


one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.
  #5   Report Post  
Old 04-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Henriette Kress
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

simy1 wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote

Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.


one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.


?? What's wrong with mud? In small amounts it's _good_ for you. Also,
mulch harbors things like snails ... far more icky than a bit of clean
dirt.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Best of RHOD: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/rhod


  #6   Report Post  
Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 PM
simy1
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

Henriette Kress wrote in message news:[email protected]
simy1 wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote

Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.


one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.


?? What's wrong with mud? In small amounts it's _good_ for you. Also,
mulch harbors things like snails ... far more icky than a bit of clean
dirt.

Henriette


two things: one, in my sandy soil mud is quite gritty and two, after a
big rainstorm lettuce heads are half brown. I eat greens every day and
those that are mulched require no washing even after rain.
  #7   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Nick Apostolakis
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

Steve wrote:
My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.

Steve


if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)
  #8   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Wrench
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:56:02 +0200, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:

My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.


if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)


I work in a plant where we wash and bag fresh spinach. If it is
muddy in the fields when it is harvested the spinach comes in extremly
muddy. We send ours thru a double "log flume" type wash system before
spin drying and packing. And even then it still sometimes has a little
grit left in it.



Wrench
  #9   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud



Wrench wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:56:02 +0200, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:


My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.



if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)



I work in a plant where we wash and bag fresh spinach. If it is
muddy in the fields when it is harvested the spinach comes in extremly
muddy. We send ours thru a double "log flume" type wash system before
spin drying and packing. And even then it still sometimes has a little
grit left in it.
Wrench




Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve


  #10   Report Post  
Old 26-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Nick Apostolakis
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud




Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in
other ways too.
in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses
or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation
in nuts for example and stuff like that
--



--------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos
--------------------------------------------------------------


  #11   Report Post  
Old 26-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Nick Apostolakis
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud




Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in
other ways too.
in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses
or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation
in nuts for example and stuff like that
--



--------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos
--------------------------------------------------------------
  #12   Report Post  
Old 26-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Nick Apostolakis
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud




Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in
other ways too.
in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses
or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation
in nuts for example and stuff like that
--



--------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos
--------------------------------------------------------------


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Include plants when cycling tank? rapdor Freshwater Aquaria Plants 50 22-10-2011 12:50 PM
To much Mud Jason in a mud Gardening 4 20-01-2011 12:46 AM
first posting #2 I will include the pic this time Richard Kolen Orchid Photos 0 16-04-2007 06:04 PM
How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 03:11 AM
store bought bio filters Tim Wardell Ponds 4 02-03-2003 03:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017