Old 15-03-2004, 02:55 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Cilantro

Henriette Kress wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Since I don't care for the leaves AT ALL, I would want it to bolt
quicker. Let it bake in the sun if that's gonna get the seeds coming.

You'll get seeds faster if it bolts faster, but not more of them.
You'll get more seeds if you let it grow more leaf.

Never grown
before, so one seed could be the size of a pumpkin seed or microscopic
petunia seeds.

You do realize that you could use seeds out of your spice jar for your
coriander needs? Those round balls are two seeds in one, the ones that
have split are one seed.

I've bought ground coriander.

Henriette

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

Old 15-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Loki

il Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:54:06 GMT, Frogleg ha scritto:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:50:51 -0700, "Aria"
wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

(I'm having a funny mental image of a healthy cilantro plant suddenly
collapsing like a cartoon weed after RoundUp.)

Here's a site that discusses 'how to grow' clearly.

http://chefsgarden.com/Cilantro.htm

heh, slow motion more like it. :-)
--
Cheers,

Old 16-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Ray Drouillard

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

My usual problem is to keep it from going to seed. Once it starts to
bolt, there isn't much you can do about it. Also, once it starts to
bolt, the flavor gets stronger and the stems get tougher.

Since I don't care for the leaves AT ALL, I would want it to bolt
quicker. Let it bake in the sun if that's gonna get the seeds coming.
My problem is I have no clue what we're talking about. Never grown
before, so one seed could be the size of a pumpkin seed or microscopic
petunia seeds. It could have a habit like dill with dozens of seeds
per floret and a dozen florets per plant. I will squeeze in what I
can--yes I am limited by land and what I'm willing to maintain. Have
to check on the growth habit--don't know what spacing they prefer.

You can buy the whole seeds in some spice markets, or you can buy a
package of seeds. Either way, you'll be able to get a good look at what
you'll be harvesting in a couple months.

The seeds look like little grayish-brown balls perhaps 3 mm in diameter.

Ray

Old 16-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:55:56 +0200, Henriette Kress
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

will work (if they're not too old) to start your plants. As someone
else has posted, there are 2 small seeds inside each round pod.

Umm. No, those "pods" _are_ the seeds.
Two to each tiny ball; like all umbelliferae, coriander seeds, too, come
in pairs.

Umm, no. Coriander *is* in the Umbelliferae family because of its
umbrella-like flower/seed arrangement. So are parsley, carrot, celery,
and geranium. The round ball is the dried fruit of the plant, and
contains two seeds.

Old 16-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Henriette Kress

Frogleg wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

will work (if they're not too old) to start your plants. As someone
else has posted, there are 2 small seeds inside each round pod.

Umm. No, those "pods" _are_ the seeds.
Two to each tiny ball; like all umbelliferae, coriander seeds, too, come
in pairs.

Umm, no. Coriander *is* in the Umbelliferae family because of its
umbrella-like flower/seed arrangement. So are parsley, carrot, celery,
and geranium. The round ball is the dried fruit of the plant, and
contains two seeds.

Heh. Both Pelargonium and Geranium are in the Geraniaceae.
Please show me an umbellifer that doesn't have paired seeds; there might
be lots, but I haven't seen one yet.
The coriander ball is just two seeds, stuck together.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 17-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:22:43 +0200, Henriette Kress
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

will work (if they're not too old) to start your plants. As someone
else has posted, there are 2 small seeds inside each round pod.

Umm. No, those "pods" _are_ the seeds.
Two to each tiny ball; like all umbelliferae, coriander seeds, too, come
in pairs.

Umm, no. Coriander *is* in the Umbelliferae family because of its
umbrella-like flower/seed arrangement. So are parsley, carrot, celery,
and geranium. The round ball is the dried fruit of the plant, and
contains two seeds.

Heh. Both Pelargonium and Geranium are in the Geraniaceae.
Please show me an umbellifer that doesn't have paired seeds; there might
be lots, but I haven't seen one yet.

Carrot, parsley, dill, Pelargonium, celery and others.
The coriander ball is just two seeds, stuck together.

"Apiaceae (parsley family)."..."Ripe coriander fruits" (picture
caption)...
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Cori_sat.html

"Coriander, an umbelliferous plant indigenous to southern
Europe"..."The fruit (so-called seeds) are of globular form, beaked,
finely ribbed, yellowish-brown 1/5 inch in diameter, with five
longitudinal ridges, separable into two halves (the mericarps), each
of which is concave internally and shows two broad, longitudinal oil
cells (vittae)."
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/corian99.html

"Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) is an annual herb that belongs to
the carrot family (Umbelliferae)."..."The small white or pink flowers
are borne in compound umbels that measure approximately 1.6 in. (4 cm)
across. The fruits are nearly globular and consist of two,
single-seeded mericarp"

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex121?opendocument

"Technically, these are the fruits, not the seeds, of coriander"
(caption for a picture of coriander fruit/seed) Lovely pictures on
this page, BTW.
http://web.odu.edu/webroot/instr/sci...ages/coriander

"The fruit of the coriander plant contains two seeds "
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=70

Umbelliferae

n : plants having flowers in umbels: parsley; carrot; anise; caraway;
celery; dill
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Umbelliferae

Umbel

n: A flat-topped or rounded flower cluster in which the individual
flower stalks arise from about the same point, as in the geranium,
milkweed, onion, and chive.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Umbel
Old 17-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Steve

Frogleg wrote:

"Apiaceae (parsley family)."..."Ripe coriander fruits" (picture
caption)...

Good job. I think it's time to rest your case. As a member of the
jury, I now see the light.

Steve

Old 17-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Henriette Kress

Frogleg wrote:

Heh. Both Pelargonium and Geranium are in the Geraniaceae.
Please show me an umbellifer that doesn't have paired seeds; there might
be lots, but I haven't seen one yet.

Carrot, parsley, dill, Pelargonium, celery and others.

Pelargonium is in the Geraniaceae.

The Geraniaceae family is in the order Geraniales, class Magnoliopsida.
The Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) family is in the order Apiales, class
Magnoliopsida.

Apiaceae and Geraniaceae aren't all that closely related, botanically.
They're certainly far enough apart that a botanist who'd suggest that
Pelargonium belongs in the Apiaceae would be laughed out of the room.

Carrot has two seeds, stuck together; they separate when they mature.
Ditto for parsley, dill, celery and pretty much any Apiaceae I've seen
so far. Sure, they come in single seeds in your seed packet, and in
single seeds in your spice jar, but they grow in pairs, and mature in
pairs. Here's a nice illustration of your average umbellifer seed:
http://home.teleport.com/~howieb/see.gif
It's at the top of Howie's page:
http://www.teleport.com/~howieb/howie.html

Like I said, please show me an umbellifer that doesn't have paired
seeds; there might be lots, but I haven't seen one yet.

Thanks
Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 01:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 09:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM