Old 20-03-2004, 10:07 PM
chillled

Default Tabasco Peppers

belly wrote:
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 01:27:28 GMT in
, chillled
graced the world with this thought:

Tabasco is a state in Mexico, so I'd guess the peppers come from that
region.

Actually, I believe that they're grown on Avery Island and the
surrounding salt pillars, at least for the product.

The company's located on Avery Island. That doesn't mean that's where
the pepper originated. I suspect Tabasco peppers originated in that
region of Mexico. It's not necessarily so, just a guess.

Old 20-03-2004, 10:29 PM
The Watcher

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:54:33 GMT, belly wrote:

(snip)
Actually, I believe that they're grown on Avery Island and the
surrounding salt pillars, at least for the product.

Avery Island, on top of a big salt dome is an interesting place to visit if you
ever go down to that part of Louisiana. I grew up not too far from there, and
found it worth visiting(several times). In addition to the tabasco peppers, they
also grow a bunch of different types of bamboo and manufacture the Tabasco
Sauce. They mine salt from the salt dome, and there's also an egret nesting area
in the private preserve. Also lots of ponds in there with alligators swimming in
them.

Old 21-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Ken Anderson

"Pam Rudd"...
Ok, thanks. I guess it's probably the seeds. I started a second
batch to make sure. I appreciate the information.

When you say it's the seeds, do you mean the health of the seed itself, or the
genetics contained within it?
Ken

Old 21-03-2004, 02:30 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:22:09 -0500, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

"Pam Rudd"...
Ok, thanks. I guess it's probably the seeds. I started a second
batch to make sure. I appreciate the information.

When you say it's the seeds, do you mean the health of the seed itself, or the
genetics contained within it?

The health of the seeds. Sometimes bad germination happens. In
this case, since all the other peppers planted in the tray at the
same time have germinated and are growing well, I don't think I'm
to blame. I wanted to be fair, though, so I asked if Tabasco
peppers had some special germination requirement that I'm not
aware of. I did plant the rest of the seeds in the packet in
another tray, just to be sure. I'll have to let you know about
them.

Penelope

--
I like to say dark beer is a little bit like going to
church: Everybody talks about it, but few people actually

Old 21-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Steve

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

........................ Sometimes bad germination happens. In
this case, since all the other peppers planted in the tray at the
same time have germinated and are growing well, I don't think I'm
to blame. I wanted to be fair, though, so I asked if Tabasco
peppers had some special germination requirement that I'm not
aware of. I did plant the rest of the seeds in the packet in
another tray, just to be sure. I'll have to let you know about
them.

Penelope

One thing I didn't see mentioned (you probably already know this) is
that pepper seeds don't store very well. I have grown tomato seeds
from the same packet for 4 or 5 years with no problem. Pepper seeds
are nearly worthless by the second year.
Maybe the seed company or, possibly, the people who grow the seed
for them did something wrong. I would like to think they wouldn't
try to sell two year old seed but there could have been an honest
mistake by letting them get too warm in storage or something. If
that is the case, the rest of the seeds in the packet will be just
as bad. If the rest of the packed suddenly grows normally, then
something did go wrong on your end the first time. You'll soon find
out.
I've never grown tabasco peppers, myself. I do suppose they behave
pretty much like the others.

Steve

Old 21-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Loki

il Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:34:09 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

One thing I didn't see mentioned (you probably already know this) is
that pepper seeds don't store very well. I have grown tomato seeds
from the same packet for 4 or 5 years with no problem. Pepper seeds
are nearly worthless by the second year.
Maybe the seed company or, possibly, the people who grow the seed
for them did something wrong. I would like to think they wouldn't
try to sell two year old seed but there could have been an honest
mistake by letting them get too warm in storage or something. If
that is the case, the rest of the seeds in the packet will be just
as bad. If the rest of the packed suddenly grows normally, then
something did go wrong on your end the first time. You'll soon find
out.
I've never grown tabasco peppers, myself. I do suppose they behave
pretty much like the others.

I haven't found that, but then I collected my own seeds and and dried
them and stored them any which way and a few years later I still get
strikes. The percentage goes down but that's all I've noticed. My
mistake was not segregating the different varieties before drying.

--
Cheers,

Old 21-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:09:51 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

belly wrote:

Interestingly, I have a pack of cayenne seeds, it lists them as
annuums, however, when looking at several web pages, some list
cayennes as frutescens, others list them as annuum. One thing that
they all agree on, is that all the milder peppers like bells, paprika,
pimento, etc., are all annuum. Do you know if maybe they were
reclassified in the last couple years? I seem to remember my first
brush with cayennes, they were called frutescens, but that was
probably 25 years ago.

Cayenne are annuum, tabasco are frutescens, and habaneros and scotch
bonnets are chinense. All three species will cross and produce viable
seeds, so the distinction seems rather dubious to me.

My brother grows mild scotch bonnet peppers ("Trinidad Spice" is one of the
varieties, I think), so the statement that all mild peppers are annuum is
false no matter how many "experts" say it.

Let's see, there are two _C chinense_ that I know of that are
sweet, Sweet Datil and a Puerto Rican one. There are more
mild ones; the Trinidad Spice you mentioned, Trinidad Perfume,
Grenada Seasoning, St. Lucia Seasoning, and Puppy
are all mild. Christmas Bell is a mild _C baccatuum_. However,
the number of sweet and mild peppers that are _C annuum_
vastly outnumbers the other species. Of course, the number
of varieties of _C annuum_ vastly outnumbers the number of
varieties of other species too.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 22-03-2004, 04:57 AM
belly

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:09:51 -0600 in
, zxcvbob
graced the world with this thought:

My brother grows mild scotch bonnet peppers ("Trinidad Spice" is one of the
varieties, I think), so the statement that all mild peppers are annuum is
false no matter how many "experts" say it.

Best regards,
Bob

for sure, I'm a restaurant worker, and I've had a lot of jalapenos
that have absolutely no heat, and resemble a bell pepper more than
anything.