Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Mark

Default Radish seed pods

Since no one in the family likes radishes much, I let my small crop of
them go. They sprouted way up and developed some small, very pretty
white and purple flowers.

Now that the earliest of the flowers have been pollinated, the petals
have fallen off and they are developing seed pods that look just like
upright small green bean pods. The biggest pod I've seen so far is
about 2" long and 1/4" in diameter.

I picked one of these and found that it is succulent and tastes only
faintly of radish. I had the idea that they would taste great in
stir-fry.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I didn't want to whip up a mess of
these pods on the off chance that they might be unhealthy...

Mark

P.S. Nugget, our half-grown Rhode Island Red, is doing a great job
keeping the garden cleaned up. She seems to nibble exclusively on the
"weedlings" and leaves the proper growing veggies alone. Go figure.
Plus, in contrast to last year at this time, I have yet to pick any
ticks off myself after working in the garden.
Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Steve

Mark wrote:
Since no one in the family likes radishes much, I let my small crop of
them go...........The biggest pod I've seen so far is
about 2" long and 1/4" in diameter.

I picked one of these and found that it is succulent and tastes only
faintly of radish. I had the idea that they would taste great in
stir-fry.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Yes, they are good. I have eaten them fresh from the plant. I never
actually used them in a stir fry, myself, but I know they are used
that way. Try it and report back to us. :-)

Steve

Old 24-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Mutti Pie

They are pretty good aren't they? We grow podding radishes (purchased
from Pinetree I believe). Easy to save seed from also. Try using a
pickling recipe to save some for later. My favorite is dilly radishes
with small okra pods.....

Good luck,
Mutti

P.S. our guineas are like Nugget

Old 25-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Gary Woods

"shazzbat" wrote:

Available in UK from Thomson&Morgan, do you get them in US?

Yes; I got Rat's Tail from a small U.S. company; have seen several other
sources including the Seed Saver's Exchange (U.S., but international
membership). T&M does business here out of Canada, but I haven't dealt
with them lately, preferring exchanges and the numerous small outfits.

I have also eaten seed pods from regular radishes that got away from me in
one of my *rare lapses of atten4tion in the garden. Quite tasty.

Peace,

*(Bold-faced lie)

Old 25-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Mark

Gary Woods wrote in message . ..
(Mark) wrote:

I picked one of these and found that it is succulent and tastes only
faintly of radish. I had the idea that they would taste great in
stir-fry.

They do indeed... there are actually varieties bred for the pods rather
than the root.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

Wow. The things you learn if you only ask... I'll get a mess of them
together and try them in stir-fry. I'll report back.

Mark
Old 31-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Tim Tyler

Mark wrote or quoted:

I picked one of these and found that it is succulent and tastes only
faintly of radish. I had the idea that they would taste great in
stir-fry.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I didn't want to whip up a mess of
these pods on the off chance that they might be unhealthy...

IMO the fresh seeds are the best bit - but it's a pain to pick them out.
--