Old 29-09-2004, 01:23 PM
brickled

Default frost already?

last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest. luckily,
it passed me by. anyone experience a killing frost yet and if so, when did
it hit?

Old 29-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Mary McHugh

In article . net, brickled
says...

last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest. luckily,
it passed me by. anyone experience a killing frost yet and if so, when did
it hit?

Not yet here in southwest CT zone 6. It's been warm and humid thanks to Jeanne
(not to mention WET). This Saturday night they're predicting a cool front
coming thru but no mention of frost yet. Next week's lows are predicted for the
40's. Our avg. first frost date is Oct. 15.

Mary

Old 30-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Blair Larsen

Here in northern Utah (somewhere between a zone 3 and 4), we've had a
killing frost already. We got it early last week, and for at least 3 nights.

Blair

Old 30-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:23:03 GMT, "brickled"
wrote:

last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest. luckily,
it passed me by. anyone experience a killing frost yet and if so, when did
it hit?

Bite your tongue!

We don' need no stinkin' killing frost around here 'til
Thanksgiving!

Penelope, with a little luck, anyway.

"ElissaAnn"

Old 01-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Puckdropper

No frost yet, but watermelon that are just now starting to produce quite
a bit of fruit. (I haven't looked in a few days, haven't been around.)

Is there a easy and fairly inexpensive way to help keep the plants warm
enough at night?

Puckdropper

brickled wrote:
last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest. luckily,
it passed me by. anyone experience a killing frost yet and if so, when did
it hit?

www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Puckdropper said:

No frost yet, but watermelon that are just now starting to produce quite
a bit of fruit. (I haven't looked in a few days, haven't been around.)

Is there a easy and fairly inexpensive way to help keep the plants warm
enough at night?

Old sheets, blankets, towels, newspapers, and paper grocery bags are what
get pressed into service at my house. When I 'retire' sheets and towels
they get stockpiled for all sorts of projects and emergencies.

They do yard waste pickup here in large paper bags, which we accumulate
each fall when we scarf leaves from around the neighborhood. The big
bags are great for covering plants when frost threatens.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-10-2004, 01:32 PM
zxcvbob

Shawna Brasgalla wrote:
northern minnesota not so much last night but on the 29th and 30th
"brickled" wrote in message
ink.net...

last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest.

luckily,

it passed me by. anyone experience a killing frost yet and if so, when did
it hit?

I think some places in MN had a frost in August that really damaged the
soybeans and corn.

It dropped into the 20's here (SE Minnesota) Friday night, Oct 1, after
raining all day and turning clear at dusk.

Bob

Old 05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Gin

In central Maine we've had two light frosts and the weatherman is predicting
a killing frost for tonight. I just brought in all of my green tomatoes, to
be ripened in boxes and paper bags. ...Gin

Old 06-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Steve

Well, I guess it's my turn to check in.
Things were quite frosty this morning. The first week of October is
about average for a killing frost in my yard. I'm lucky enough to live
on the lake front so I rarely have to worry about frost in September.
People who live far away from the lake often have a light frost at the
end of August. That happened this year.
My thermometer had a low of 28 but tomato plants closer to the water
than that thermometer were either undamaged or only lightly damaged.
When I walked to work at 9 AM, the cars along the street were still
heavily covered with frost. A co-worker of mine who lives on the other
side of town had 21 degrees at 7 AM.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY