Old 24-02-2005, 09:35 PM
The Cook

Default It's here

My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday
morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video
and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I
got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow
to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 24-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Katra

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday
morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video
and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I
got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow
to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

Groovy!!! :-)
Be sure to post a jpeg when you are done???

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 24-02-2005, 10:25 PM
The Cook

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday
morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video
and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I
got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow
to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

Groovy!!! :-)
Be sure to post a jpeg when you are done???

Absolutely. I am taking pictures at each interval. Just so I can
bore the world with them.

Old 24-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Katra

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday
morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video
and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I
got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow
to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

Groovy!!! :-)
Be sure to post a jpeg when you are done???

Absolutely. I am taking pictures at each interval. Just so I can
bore the world with them.

lol I think I already bored the world with my greenhouse jpegs...
Mine are just 8x8 popups but they are working OH so well and were within
both my financial and time budget.

It sounds like you are putting up a "real" greenhouse. :-)
Not like my cheepies.

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...eenhouses2.jpg

You can see the passion vine growing over the roof of the one in the
middle. That one is mostly for cactus propagation:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...SanPedros1.jpg

The one on the left is my seed starter for now.....

They are all closed up for cold weather here. There is a door on either
side that is also screened and the plastic doors wrap back and secure.
They are really just glorified plastic tents, but well designed and
remarkably sturdy. There are also 4 screened vents/windows on either
side.

They also have a 3 year warantee.
--
K.
Old 24-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Ken Anderson

"The Cook" wrote in message
My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday
morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video
and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I
got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow
to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

--
Susan N.

Somehow, spending time in your own greenhouse would have to be good for the
soul. Sounds very neat.

Old 25-02-2005, 12:59 AM
samuel

Do you heat those pop-up greenhouses (I've never used a greenhouse)?
Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I think you just gave me the idea
I was searching for, if I can find a place to buy them around here!

Old 25-02-2005, 02:59 AM
Katra

In article .com,
"samuel" wrote:

Do you heat those pop-up greenhouses (I've never used a greenhouse)?
Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I think you just gave me the idea
I was searching for, if I can find a place to buy them around here!

We just put a clip on lamp in them during the winter to prevent
freezing... The greenhouses never dropped much below 50 degrees using a
single 100 watt bulb.

They are $260.00 each and that includes delivery. I'm wishing I could
somehow manage to get a contract to sell those things around here. :-)
So far, I've only been able to find them on line. Here is the URL:

http://www.propools.com/cgi-bin/Soft.../greenhouses/d
reamhouse.htm?E+scstore

Once I discovered these, I did a _lot_ of searching on line for
"portable greenhouses" and this really was the best deal for the size.

I'm still going to envy cook her greenhouse tho'. G But, these really
are working very well, and can be taken down in the summer if you wish...

Old 25-02-2005, 10:38 AM
samuel

Thanks so much for the info! This kind of advice is invaluable to
beginners, so I hope you don't think it goes unappreciated!

Old 25-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Katra

In article .com,
"samuel" wrote:

Thanks so much for the info! This kind of advice is invaluable to
beginners, so I hope you don't think it goes unappreciated!

Most welcome! :-)
--
K.
Old 26-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:59:31 -0600, Katra
wrote:
"samuel" wrote:

Do you heat those pop-up greenhouses (I've never used a greenhouse)?
Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I think you just gave me the idea
I was searching for, if I can find a place to buy them around here!

We just put a clip on lamp in them during the winter to prevent
freezing... The greenhouses never dropped much below 50 degrees using a
single 100 watt bulb.

What was the temp outside?

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Katra

wrote:
"samuel" wrote:

Do you heat those pop-up greenhouses (I've never used a greenhouse)?
Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I think you just gave me the idea
I was searching for, if I can find a place to buy them around here!

We just put a clip on lamp in them during the winter to prevent
freezing... The greenhouses never dropped much below 50 degrees using a
single 100 watt bulb.

What was the temp outside?

Penelope

It never got much below 30 this year, I think it hit 28 at the coldest
but it was enough to freeze everything else in the yard! :-(

But, that's winter! It generally never gets any colder than maybe 15 to
17F above zero. My first attempt at an outdoor winter garden did well
with brocolli, kale, mustard and a BUNCH of red swiss chard. I expect to
get a lot more chard this year from it and just planted more babies I
started from seed in greenhouse #2.

The idea of warming the greenhouse is just to keep it above 32 so one
could use more than one lamp if necessary for colder temps. I live in
Central Texas. These seem to hold the heat nicely.

One greenhouse has a pair baby frogs I developed from tadpoles, and a
tank of escargot snails I'm experimenting with, so it was important to
keep it reasonabley warm! I had an additional lamp a bit closer to them
with a 75 watt bulb.

We will be building a pond hopefully this year and I want to raise those
two leopard frogs up large enough to release into it.

The snails will only be released into a steamer pot. ;-d

Old 28-02-2005, 03:50 PM
The Cook

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

In article
,
says...
My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday
morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video
and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I
got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow
to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

Sounds good. Where are you located? Any thoughts on
how much this will increase your growing time per year?

Also please feel free to update here regarding your
assessment of the particular brand, design, etc.

Here is the URL at Costco for the greenhouse.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...nav=&prodid=77

It comes with just about everything you could want to have in the
greenhouse. My husband got the wooden base and the aluminum frame
done by early afternoon Friday (rained on Thursday.) My son arrived
about 3 PM. By 6 PM they had 2 walls up. The weather on Saturday was
great. They had most the outside done that day. Yesterday they
finished up the 2 person jobs by noon. I will point out that my
husband has finished a basement, made an extra room from the back
porch, built a storage shed and put vinyl siding on a 2 story house.
My son is in the business of assembling and repairing exercise
equipment so we are talking about knowledge levels here.

I am located in the foothills of Blue Ridge Mountains in North
Carolina (USA.) Saturday it was 56F and sunny. Today it is snowing.
I am hoping to be able to get at least a month head start on my seeds.
I also needed a place to work and put seedlings since there is really
no place in the house. Besides, I have wanted a greenhouse for years.
I am also going to see what I can keep going over the winter.
Hopefully lettuce, tomatoes, some herbs. It is all a big experiment
this year and I am getting a late start.

Guess I will have to go out and hold things while my husband finishes
with the pop rivets.

Old 28-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Katra

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=2&whse=&topna
[...]