Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Steve Calvin

David wrote:

I don't disagree with you, Steve. The problem that I have is that
neither major party speaks much about the issues of importance to me.
I've been voting since the 1980 election (and in every election since)
and have never voted Republican or Democrat for president.

Our mass media is so complicit with the current set up that no voice
from outside the narrow band covered by the two parties could ever
possibly get itself heard. Our political spectrum in the US is so narrow
it's ridiculous (and we will pay for it, eventually). Some single
parties in Europe are as politically diverse as our entire government.

Boy, no arguement with ya there! I think that it's time for the masses
to stand up and take the country back from these idiots. Problem is,
people are so complacent that it will probably never happen. Especially
when voting has come down to "ok, who do I dislike the least" for a a
large percentage of the population. :-(

--
Steve
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
SVTKate

Ok, at first, I thought you were just soputing BS to try and stir things up.
Then I opened the morning paper. There was an article on this very subject
in there.

It would seem that *I* am the one without all the facts, and that you are
right.
My apologies.
Even more than that, the way they have written about it in the paper, it
scares the hell out of me.

Kate

"Tax Man" wrote in message
| Most states have sales tax and you would still have it plus the federal
| sales tax of probably 20 or 25%. With your regular 10% sales tax plus
| the 25% federal sales tax, you would be paying 35% sales tax. On a $1000
| dollar item such as a refrigerator or a riding lawn mower, you would
| have to pay an extra $350 on the item. Most low and middle income
| earners spend every dime the make and more. They would be paying taxes
| on every dime and more that they make. The rich man who doesn't spend
| every dime could have millions or billions left over that he wouldn't
| pay cent of taxes on. My state (Illinois) has a sales tax plus a state
| income tax. We would still have these plus the Federal sales tax.
|
| SVTKate wrote:
| I live in a state in the US that has the tax you are talking about.
| We do not pay a state tax and our sales tax is roughly 10%.
|
| We are able to deduct this tax on our federal tax return.
|
| You may think you know what you are talking about, but I don't believe
that
| you have all the facts.
| It works better this way, trust me.
|
| This way everyone pays on everything that they purchase. If you buy
less,
| you paly less, buy more, pay more.
|

| "Tax Man" wrote in message
| | Get ready Americans for the biggest screwing in all history. For some
| | time I have worried that the consumption tax (national sales tax) to
| | replace our income tax idea would take hold. This would be a nightmare
| | for low and middle income people. There is more and more talk every
day
| | for this. Now that old geezer Greenspan is saying it is a good idea.
He
| | adds that maybe we should also keep the income tax and have both.
Since
| | the consumption tax would be a rich man's dream, that is probably what
| | we will end up with. With a consumption tax, the low and middle income
| | earners would pay all of the tax and the rich man would pay even less.
| | Americans had better start raising hell with their congressmen and
| | senators now to stop this before it gains anymore momentum. The only
| | fair income tax replacement would be a flat tax with the standard
| | deduction and the family member exemptions and no other deductions or
| | loopholes. Please help spread the word.
| |

Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
David

Boy, no arguement with ya there! I think that it's time for the masses
to stand up and take the country back from these idiots. Problem is,
people are so complacent that it will probably never happen. Especially
when voting has come down to "ok, who do I dislike the least" for a a
large percentage of the population. :-(

Isn't that the truth! I guess that's one reason I love my garden. When
I'm in my garden I can forget that these things are happening, at least
for a little while.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Steve Calvin

David wrote:

Boy, no arguement with ya there! I think that it's time for the
masses to stand up and take the country back from these idiots.
Problem is, people are so complacent that it will probably never
happen. Especially when voting has come down to "ok, who do I dislike
the least" for a a large percentage of the population. :-(

Isn't that the truth! I guess that's one reason I love my garden. When
I'm in my garden I can forget that these things are happening, at least
for a little while.

lol, me too. But my garlic has been seriously confused this winter with
the ups and downs of the weather in the northeast US. I can almost hear
it saying "ok, I should start growing, oops, no wait it's g.d. cold
again so I'd better now... ok, warm again...' (continually go back to
beginning)

Hopefully it'll be ok 'cause that store bought stuff doesn't even come
close.

--
Steve

DIY frenzy to get the pond ready for winter... Theo van Daele Ponds 9 22-09-2005 03:32 PM
OT Get ready America Tax Man Gardening 6 10-03-2005 08:37 PM
OT Get ready America figaro Gardening 0 06-03-2005 03:32 PM
Get lawn and garden ready for spring! (LandSteward Article) Earl Gardening 0 24-02-2005 05:25 PM
Get the pond ready for winter Rick Ponds 3 02-10-2004 07:24 AM