Old 26-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Steve Calvin

Default rec.gardens.edible top posting question

xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

**** Posted and mailed ****

I received an email regarding my comments on top posting which would
normally "tick me off" too but it wasn't a "flaming" mail. It's
a serious request and should receive a valid reply. I also thought that
others may find it informative (hopefully) which is why
I'm posting it to the group. The context of the note is below but the
identify of the sender has been deleted.

**** Start of email text ****

Hello, I read your post about top posting on the rec.gardens.edible
newsgroup, and have a question. I'm mainly curious, so don't take
this as any kind of attack. It's not intended to be.

What's wrong with top posting? I understand refusing to read replies
that are full of previous messages, but I cannot see why either
posting method would be better than the other.

**** End of email text ****

This issue has been debated/argued/discussed more times than I could
probably count. Without going into a whole historical tirade
about usenet I'll simply post the following example which hopefully will
make it clear along with a few links for those interested
enough to do some reading.

Example which hopefully shows how difficult it is to follow:

Dave: Oh! Now it makes sense to me. Okay! No more top-posting for me!
Bob: It's annoying because it reverses the normal order of
conversation. In fact, many people ignore top-posted articles.
Dave: What's so wrong with that?
Bob: That's posting your response *before* the article you're
quoting.
Dave: People keep bugging me about "top-posting." What does that
mean?
A: Top posters.

http://www.the-foxhole.org/strads/sp...faq.html#avoid
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3

There is a plethora of information and discussions on the use of usenet
if a google search is done.

Bottom line? Top posting is just considered to be rude by the majority
(notice I didn't say all) of folks using usenet.
--
Steve
Old 26-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Gary Woods

GA Pinhead wrote:

Yes but most newsreaders these days show the top of the message, I don't
read bottom posters because they never do any snipping and I hate
scrolling through 14 pages of old stuff.

Never say "never." That's generalizing about a whole class of people based
on the dumb behavior of the few. And it's a religious issue anyway; always
has been.

I regard non-snipping as reason not to read the post; almost as bad as
repeating the same paragraph twice.

And the ground is still 80% snow covered in Upstate NY in the hills, but
nice bright sun, so that will change. I swear I heard the Troy-Bilt sigh as
I slogged past the shed yesterday. Don't worry big fella, I'll wake you up
soon for a stroll through the asparagus bed.

Old 26-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Steve Calvin

GA Pinhead wrote:

Yes but most newsreaders these days show the top of the message, I don't
read bottom posters because they rarely do any snipping and I hate
scrolling through 14 pages of old stuff.

Times changes...

snip
Yes but most newsreaders these days show the top of the message, I don't
read bottom posters because they never do any snipping and I hate
scrolling through 14 pages of old stuff.

I think that you'll find that more people prefer to read top to bottom
as opposed to bottom to top. I guess we'll just agree to killfile each
other. And NO, any reader worth the time to download sets the default
to bottom post.

bye-bye

--
Steve

Old 26-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Steve Calvin

Gary Woods wrote:

And the ground is still 80% snow covered in Upstate NY in the hills, but
nice bright sun, so that will change. I swear I heard the Troy-Bilt sigh as
I slogged past the shed yesterday. Don't worry big fella, I'll wake you up
soon for a stroll through the asparagus bed.

Not quite that bad around Poughkeepsie. Snow is almost gone. I'm getting
ready to fire my tiller up too. I'm pleasently surprised though that
my garlic is doing very well even with all of the weird weather we had
this year.

--
Steve

Old 28-03-2005, 09:20 PM
shazzbat

SNIP.

And the ground is still 80% snow covered in Upstate NY in the hills, but
nice bright sun, so that will change. I swear I heard the Troy-Bilt sigh

as
I slogged past the shed yesterday. Don't worry big fella, I'll wake you up
soon for a stroll through the asparagus bed.

What is a Troy-Bilt? I don't think we have them in UK. I've heard of
Peterbilt, but that's a truck and you'd need a hell of an asparagus bed for
that, no? I'm guessing that Troy-Bilt is a Rotavator or similar. Educate me
if you will.

Steve.
Ferndown, Dorset.

No snow, bags of sun for most of the easter weekend :-))

Early potatoes went in today :-))
My back went out:-((

Old 28-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Steve Calvin

shazzbat wrote:
SNIP.

And the ground is still 80% snow covered in Upstate NY in the hills, but
nice bright sun, so that will change. I swear I heard the Troy-Bilt sigh

as

I slogged past the shed yesterday. Don't worry big fella, I'll wake you up
soon for a stroll through the asparagus bed.

What is a Troy-Bilt? I don't think we have them in UK. I've heard of
Peterbilt, but that's a truck and you'd need a hell of an asparagus bed for
that, no? I'm guessing that Troy-Bilt is a Rotavator or similar. Educate me
if you will.

Steve.
Ferndown, Dorset.

No snow, bags of sun for most of the easter weekend :-))

Early potatoes went in today :-))
My back went out:-((

Troy-Bilt is a name brand of equipment here in the States. He's
referring to their garden 'tiller.

Here's a site with a pic:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=fram...s/tillers.html

--
Steve
Old 28-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Gary Woods

"shazzbat" wrote:

I'm guessing that Troy-Bilt is a Rotavator or similar. Educate me
if you will.

My apologies.... forgot to engage trans-Atlantic cultural translator:

Yes, it's a rear-tine rototiller.... erm... rotivator.... Similar to a
Howard, but not as huge. Mine is 20 odd years old, been through a few sets
of tines and a the odd oil seal, but still running strong. 7HP cast-iron
Kohler engine; don't know if Kohler exports, but they run rings around
Briggs and Stratton, which I believe is. The same engine often powers
cement mixers and suchlike. Getting balky in its old age; last spring took
2 pulls on the recoil starter to get it to run.

Old 29-03-2005, 10:10 AM
China

G'day,
You said:

" My point is, with bottom posting, you at least have to scroll through the
reference to. ; )

Isn't the subject line and position within the thread more than
enough to recognise the reference?
China
Wingham
NSW