Old 24-04-2005, 04:24 PM
GA Pinhead

Default Blackberry Winter - NE GA

The blackberries are blooming and we have a frost warning tonight.

Well, I put off planting the peppers and maters because I *knew* we
would have one last blast of cold air. The earliest peppers are
flowering and the maters are getting a little leggy but I battled my
urges to plant.

I have my evenings planned later this week!

John!
Old 24-04-2005, 05:47 PM
The Cook

GA Pinhead wrote:

The blackberries are blooming and we have a frost warning tonight.

Well, I put off planting the peppers and maters because I *knew* we
would have one last blast of cold air. The earliest peppers are
flowering and the maters are getting a little leggy but I battled my
urges to plant.

I have my evenings planned later this week!

John!

Sounds like western North Carolina, in the foothills. 32°F predicted
for tonight. In the high 70's and low 80's last week. Think one
group of tomatoes will go out tomorrow since the low is predicted for
47° and lows in the 50's the next 8 or 9 days.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 24-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Katra

In article ,
GA Pinhead wrote:

The blackberries are blooming and we have a frost warning tonight.

Well, I put off planting the peppers and maters because I *knew* we
would have one last blast of cold air. The earliest peppers are
flowering and the maters are getting a little leggy but I battled my
urges to plant.

I have my evenings planned later this week!

John!

Oh lovely... :-P
Fortunately I decided to container grow my peppers this year so I'll
just move them inside. Thanks for the warning!

I do, however, have tomatoes in the ground.

Anyone know what might have eaten all of my new brocolli and
cauliflower? I've searched day and night (at night with a flashlight)
and I can't find what is doing it, but they've eaten them to the ground!
Guess I'll wait a month and try growing them again. It did not look like
slug or snail damage.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 24-04-2005, 11:05 PM
GA Pinhead

Katra wrote:
Oh lovely... :-P
Fortunately I decided to container grow my peppers this year so I'll
just move them inside. Thanks for the warning!

I do, however, have tomatoes in the ground.

I was, for years, a plant em early as I can type of person. Countless
years I had to cover at least once. Before I brewed my own beer, I
would save the case boxes, cut them in half, and use them to cover.
"beer garden" I need to find those pics...

Now I just wait. Except on corn, I will gamble with a couple of bucks
worth of seed.

Anyone know what might have eaten all of my new brocolli and

cauliflower?

Herbivores? Any leftovers?

John!
Old 25-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:24:06 -0400, GA Pinhead
wrote:

The blackberries are blooming and we have a frost warning tonight.

Oh man, I'm screwed.

I didn't put things out in the garden, but all my plants are
outside around the front porch, and I'm in Schenectady, New
York. The forcast was for ten days of warm nights and hot
days when I left last week.

And the pepper plants I over-wintered are all out in the
middle of the backyard.

Maybe my neighbor will think to cover the plants, she was
going to water them for me.

Otherwise, I am *so* screwed!

Penelope

--
Dinna let yer wind fly out
Nor flap 'n wave yer kilt about

Old 25-04-2005, 03:46 AM
GA Pinhead

Warm thoughts going your plants' way.

Hopefully the wind will keep up and you don't live in a holler.

John!

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Otherwise, I am *so* screwed!

Penelope

Old 25-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Dwayne

When I lived in Arkansas the same thing happened to all my cabbage,
cauliflower, etc. I put a fence around them to keep the rabbits out and
replanted. The second planting made it. Nor I plant one clove of garlic at
the beginning of the row and one at the end of the row, and one between each
plant.

I wont promise you that, that is the solution, but In the 5 years I have
been doing it, I haven't lost a cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi,
etc to rabbits.

Dwayne
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
GA Pinhead wrote:

[...]

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell see, I have friends
in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 25-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Katra

In article ,
GA Pinhead wrote:

Katra wrote:
Oh lovely... :-P
Fortunately I decided to container grow my peppers this year so I'll
just move them inside. Thanks for the warning!

I do, however, have tomatoes in the ground.

I was, for years, a plant em early as I can type of person. Countless
years I had to cover at least once. Before I brewed my own beer, I
would save the case boxes, cut them in half, and use them to cover.
"beer garden" I need to find those pics...

Now I just wait. Except on corn, I will gamble with a couple of bucks
worth of seed.

Anyone know what might have eaten all of my new brocolli and

cauliflower?

Herbivores? Any leftovers?

John!

Just the bases of the stalks now... :-(
Looked like caterpillars initially, but sevin did not kill whatever was
doing it. The planter is 3' tall so I doubt it was bunnies.

sigh

I might just try container growing them in 1 gallon pots and keep 'em
inside the greenhouse!

Old 25-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

When I lived in Arkansas the same thing happened to all my cabbage,
cauliflower, etc. I put a fence around them to keep the rabbits out and
replanted. The second planting made it. Nor I plant one clove of garlic at
the beginning of the row and one at the end of the row, and one between each
plant.

I wont promise you that, that is the solution, but In the 5 years I have
been doing it, I haven't lost a cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi,
etc to rabbits.

Hmmmmm... I've read that Garlic is a good insect repellant also.
And, I have some sprouting cloves in the 'frige. I'll have to try that.
;-)

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 25-04-2005, 02:49 PM
GA Pinhead

Katra wrote:

Herbivores? Any leftovers?

John!

Just the bases of the stalks now... :-(
Looked like caterpillars initially, but sevin did not kill whatever was
doing it. The planter is 3' tall so I doubt it was bunnies.

Rodents? They climb. Chipmunks?

JOhn!

Old 25-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Katra

In article ,
GA Pinhead wrote:

Katra wrote:

Herbivores? Any leftovers?

John!

Just the bases of the stalks now... :-(
Looked like caterpillars initially, but sevin did not kill whatever was
doing it. The planter is 3' tall so I doubt it was bunnies.

Rodents? They climb. Chipmunks?

JOhn!

It's possible that squirrels did it, but initially they just ate the
leaves, then the center of the leaves, then the rest of it. It really
looked like moth larvae damage and I did find a single worm that first
day and squished it, but after that, I hunted both in daylight and
around midnight for more worms and could not find any. :-(

I had a similar problem last fall and sevin took care of it.... so I'm
wondering what I may be missing?

These poor baby plants were only about 6" tall.

The chard has a little bit of munching on it but is in good shape for
the most part, but the chard is also mature!

Old 25-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Barbara Foss

squirels have eaten mine. try sprinkeling blood meal around them

Old 26-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Barbara Foss

Sure did get the broccoli (squirels) We have a 4 sq garden fenced in.
We have lots of the dickens. Have a pecan tree in the back yard. I
have seen them many times on top of the fence eating one of my
cucumbers. gerrr bad word! B