Old 16-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Patrick McClintick

Default Odd hitchhicker on plant

I've gotten the requisite snails and even some hydra on plants before, but
what I saw today surprised me. One of my microsword bundles has a tiny
spider, web included. Now, these plants have been underwater for at least 2
weeks, if not longer. They are currently finishing up a stay in Ellis
Island (my quarantine tank) before being transplanted into their permanent
home. It's tiny, reddish body, black abdomen. Any ideas?

--Patrick
Duo at Evilaccess dot Com

Old 16-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Kelly Upton

Here is a web site that has descriptions of some aquatic spiders on it for
you. I have heard of them and we even have some in Georgia. Check it out
and see if your guy is there. Watch out though if you are breeding
fish--some may become his lunch!
http://www.dlwc.nsw.gov.au/care/wetl...es/watermites_
aquaticspiders.html

Old 16-04-2003, 07:32 AM
DWS

Oh God yes we have these in Indiana too - they are so gross. Maybe a
different strain, but our grow about as big as a 50% piece... They are
always in my boat - ive gone to great lengths to keep them out - everything
but have a pro come in and kill every insect around

Id get rid of it unless you can id it and contain it some how.

Just my 2 Cents

Dustin
.net...

Old 16-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Patrick McClintick

From what I can find, it is probably a common spider that got on the plant
where it was grown (I'm guessing microswords can be grown above water?) and
had just managed to survive underwater for this long period of time some
how. It does not fit the description of any aquatic spider I can find. No
air bubble around it, no coneweb.

Old 16-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

Sounds interesting - would love to keep one, especially if it builds
a bubble web under water! Would be cool to watch it hunt.

Old 16-04-2003, 10:09 PM
LeighMo

(I'm guessing microswords can be grown above water?)

Yes, and they usually are emersed grown when you buy them.

Leigh