Old 29-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Boris

Default Nymphaea Lotus

I have kept this plant for years with success but recently have had
problems...

I set-up a new tank:
54 gallon
RO water
Tropica liquid fertilizer
2 compact flouresant bulbs totaling 110 watts
fluorite gravel
Duplarit and Seachem (gravel) fertilizer
Dupla CO2 system

While the tank is new - much of the water and gravel came from a tank that
was established.

When I bought the plant - I noticed the little bulb that is in the root area
was missing.

All other plants are doing well and the tank is amonia, nitrit, nitrate are
not a problem - with a PH - just under 7.

Maybe I just got a bad plant? (bulb thingy missing). Any help appreciated.
Thank you.
Boris

Old 29-08-2003, 05:02 PM
~Vicki ~

I have 6 of them growing in my 55g tank. I love that plant and they add
red variety to the greens of the other plants. I have a couple who do
not have there bulbs and they grow as well as the plants with bulbs. It
could be that you have to much light for it. Mine grow with under 1wpg
using the NO lights that came with the tank and full spectrum deep reef
10,000K, 15W bulbs.

Vicki

Old 29-08-2003, 06:42 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

This plant can survive fine without the bulb.
Many times it comes off.

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 29-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Boris

Yes, someone else mentioned it does not require too much light. Maybe I'll
move it to another area - but the strange thing about it is that it has not
grown at all (in a month) and the leaves are decaying.

It's one of my favorites too and they're a more expensive plant - so I hope
to save it.

Thanks for replying.
cheers,
Boris

Old 29-08-2003, 11:32 PM
LeighMo

It doesn't need a bulb. And it loves high light. I have over 3 wpg, and my
Nymphaea are doing fine.

Are you sure your plant is getting enough nutrients? Nymphaea like root
fertilization. (I use Seachem root tabs, as well as Jobe's spikes for
phosphate and nitrate.)

Leigh

Old 30-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Boris

Okay Leigh, thank you... it could very well be in an area of the tank that
does not have enough root nutrients.

I was using Duplarit but ran out. I'll get some of those Seachem tabs and
try that. I never tried Jobe's spikes.

Thanks so much,
Boris

Old 30-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Sandy

"LeighMo" wrote in message
It doesn't need a bulb. And it loves high light. I have over 3
wpg, and my Nymphaea are doing fine.

Are you sure your plant is getting enough nutrients? Nymphaea like
root fertilization. (I use Seachem root tabs, as well as Jobe's
spikes for phosphate and nitrate.)

Leigh

Any rabbits about, pet or wild, push one of there droppings into the sand
beside your plants and that will fertilise them, and it is free.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old 30-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Boris

You know, I never considered rabbit droppings. I have a parrot...

Do you really use rabbit droppings? It kind of makes sence.
cheers,
Boris

Old 31-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Poe Lim

Leigh, I'd be much obliged if you could post the chemical analysis of the
Jobes spike; they used to be available here, but I haven't seen them lately,
but there is another brand, but would like to see the composition before I
put it into my tank.

Cheers,
Poe

Old 31-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Sandy

Boris wrote:
You know, I never considered rabbit droppings. I have a parrot...

Do you really use rabbit droppings? It kind of makes sence.
cheers,
Boris

No, I just happened to see it on a television program the night before, I
hadn't thought about it either till then

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 01-09-2003, 01:12 PM
LeighMo

Leigh, I'd be much obliged if you could post the chemical analysis of the
Jobes spike;

The Jobes planted tank folk like are the ones for ferns and palms:

16-2-6

That is, 16% nitrogen, 2% phosphate, 6% potassium. The ferns and palms type
has less phosphate and more potassium than the normal houseplant Jobes.

However, many people have used the normal Jobes (13-4-5) with success
(including me). So I'm sure your local plant spikes would work. Just be
careful. Break the spike into thirds, and use only one piece at first. Bury
it deeply, and don't disturb that area of the gravel for awhile. I usually
notice nearly instant results when I give a piece of Jobe's to my Nymphaea.

Leigh

Old 02-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Dave Millman

tose (LeighMo) wrote in
:

Leigh, I'd be much obliged if you could post the chemical analysis of
the Jobes spike;

The Jobes planted tank folk like are the ones for ferns and palms:

16-2-6

That is, 16% nitrogen, 2% phosphate, 6% potassium. The ferns and
palms type has less phosphate and more potassium than the normal
houseplant Jobes.

However, many people have used the normal Jobes (13-4-5) with success
(including me). So I'm sure your local plant spikes would work. Just
be careful. Break the spike into thirds, and use only one piece at
first. Bury it deeply, and don't disturb that area of the gravel for
awhile. I usually notice nearly instant results when I give a piece
of Jobe's to my Nymphaea.

Warning:

I used the Jobes for Ferns and Palms for a year without problems. Then I
removed a large Nuphar Japonica. It's roots had extended to all four
corners of my four-foot tank. Removing it disturbed the gravel (Flourite)
throughout the tank. I estimate that approximately 1.5-2 Jobes spikes were
released into the water column-I had them under four swords and the Nuphar.
They were so crumbly that I could not vacuum them.

Result: Algae city. It turns out much of the nitrate in the spikes is in
the form of ammonium, which algae love. This is why we are so often told,
"Keep them buried". I say, "Keep them out of your tank." I no longer use
them in mine.

I am still searching for a good substrate nitrate supplement though.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Jim Seidman

Dave Millman dav.e.at.tac.tics.co.m wrote in message 4...
I am still searching for a good substrate nitrate supplement though.

Is there a reason you feel strongly about keeping the nitrate in your
substrate rather than the water column?

In any case, potassium nitrate (KNO3) is available in granular form at
some garden stores. I understand that Ace Hardware sells it as "Green
Light Stump Remover." Many people use this to add nitrates to their
tank. Usually it's dissolved and added to the water. But I suppose you
could wrap the granules in a little ball of paper and place them in
the substrate.

- Jim
Old 04-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Racf

"Jim Seidman" wrote in message
om...
Dave Millman dav.e.at.tac.tics.co.m wrote in message

4...
I am still searching for a good substrate nitrate supplement though.

Is there a reason you feel strongly about keeping the nitrate in your
substrate rather than the water column?

In any case, potassium nitrate (KNO3) is available in granular form at
some garden stores. I understand that Ace Hardware sells it as "Green
Light Stump Remover." Many people use this to add nitrates to their
tank. Usually it's dissolved and added to the water. But I suppose you
could wrap the granules in a little ball of paper and place them in
the substrate.

- Jim

I bought some Spectracide Stump Remover at Wal-mart the other day. Is
white crystals and so far works ok. Its Potassium Nitrate with no other
ingredients shown on the label. I have just been using this in the
water column. I use 1/3 Jobes spikes in the substrate.

Old 05-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Dave Millman

Jim Seidman wrote:

Dave Millman dav.e.at.tac.tics.co.m wrote in message 4...
I am still searching for a good substrate nitrate supplement though.

Is there a reason you feel strongly about keeping the nitrate in your
substrate rather than the water column?

In any case, potassium nitrate (KNO3) is available in granular form at
some garden stores.

I've been dosing KNO3 for 15 months in the water column. Swords are root feeders, and mine do not get what they
need from the substrate or through the water column. Cuck Gadd used pictures of my swords in is talk on Nutrient
Deficiencies at the AGA convention a year ago. These were taken in a tank that got 1.5 tsp KNO3 per week.