Old 08-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Harry Muscle

Default What do you think of these fish in a 55G

"Sue" wrote in message
1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish -either ONE male OR three or four females.

Its best to not mix sexes in a community tank.

Just out of curiosity, but why do you say that?

SNIP

1 pair Swordtails 1 pair Guppies -

These prefer much harder water than your other choices so I wouldn't have
them.

According to fishprofiles.com all of the fish (except the livebearers) are
OK in 5-19dH water. The livebearers are ok in 10-20dH. My water is around
7-8dH, which I'm hoping is going to be ok for the Guppies & Swordtails
especially since I used to have guppies many years ago in the same 7-8dH
water and they did really good (or at least they bred like crazy).

SNIP
Sue

Thanks for the input,
Harry

Old 08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
RedForeman ©®

If you're referring to bettas, sue is right... the male will be the living
$hit out of the female if/when he decides to mate.... it's not advisable to
put a male and female betta in the same tank without removing the female
after the male builds the bubble nest and she does her thing....

if you're talking about chinese algae eaters, then YGIAGAM (your guess is as
good as mine)

--

RedForeman ©®

Old 16-02-2004, 06:11 AM
Ray

--"1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish"
probably beta's right. don't do it!!! Very teretorial fish and not good
to keep together for long periods,specialy after mating. keep a few females
together and the male in a seperate bowl. also I found that the females like
to hide a bit so make some good hiding places for them. however keep in mind
that some females are just as aggresive if not more so then the males and if
they feel crowded the will attack the weaker ones and possible kill.(natural
selection)
--"1 pair Guppies"
guppies are small fish and great for creating live food for themselves and
other fish but best to keep several as they actual are a schooling type
fish.Guppies will canabalis there young very quickly. make sure to have some
good floating (fake or real) plants for the fry to hide in while growing to
adult hood
--"6-12 algae eaters (SAE and/or Ottos)"
a SAE are a vey agressive fish always keep many but never a few
--"6 Cory Jullii"
not sure on these as I only have Albino Cory's (so damn ugly there cute ;-)
--"1 pair Kribs"
don't have these either and have no clue
--"1 pair Swordtails"
had these when I was younger. agian a schooling fish in which you will want
to keep 1 or keep many but not a few.also rapid breeders as like guppies and
need good top side hiding places just like guppies
--"3 Clown Loaches"
from what I understand (agian I don't have any of these) say good bye to the
guppies and to the swordtials as they make great all you can eat sushi
--"12 small Tetras (still have to determine which ones)"
good keep many or one but not a few as they are most happy in a school.
--4-6 zebra danios.
ok your starting to get the idea of 1 or many but not a few
Now for a bit of advice 1 inch (from tip of head to tip of tail) of fish per
gallon of water max. so research adult size and then plan on the amount of
fish to that. So 55 gal you want no more then 55 inches of adult fish size.
Always remember with schooling fish they prefer to be with a groupof 5 or
more less then that and they are not truly happy.So always keep many or keep
one for schooling fish.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
These are the fish I was thinking of putting in my planted 55G. Looking

for
some feedback about whether it's too much, etc.

1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish
1 pair Kribs
1 pair Swordtails
1 pair Guppies
6 Cory Jullii
3 Clown Loaches
12 small Tetras (still have to determine which ones)
6-12 algae eaters (SAE and/or Ottos)
bunch of ghost shrimp (maybe)
bunch of malaysian trumpet snails

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. If I actually have room for more, I was thinking of adding 4-6 zebra
danios.

Old 16-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Giancarlo Podio

--"3 Clown Loaches"
from what I understand (agian I don't have any of these) say good bye to the
guppies and to the swordtials as they make great all you can eat sushi

I don't think you'll have any problems with the clown loaches, they
have never hurt another fish in my tanks, swordtails included. The
guppies on the other hand will probably be the first to get picked off
if any of the fish do become a little agressive, but I doubt the
loaches will do anything. You can also keep MTS with loaches, seeing
they live under the substrate during the day, the loaches won't be
able to get to all of them, they will keep the population under
control but won't be able to exterminate them.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio