Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Harry Muscle

Default What do you think of these fish in a 55G

These are the fish I was thinking of putting in my planted 55G. Looking for
some feedback about whether it's too much, etc.

1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish
1 pair Kribs
1 pair Swordtails
1 pair Guppies
6 Cory Jullii
3 Clown Loaches
12 small Tetras (still have to determine which ones)
6-12 algae eaters (SAE and/or Ottos)
bunch of ghost shrimp (maybe)
bunch of malaysian trumpet snails

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. If I actually have room for more, I was thinking of adding 4-6 zebra
danios.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Flash Wilson

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:51:51 -0500, Harry Muscle wrote:
These are the fish I was thinking of putting in my planted 55G. Looking for
some feedback about whether it's too much, etc.

1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish

When you say "pair" do you simply mean two in number, or a male and
a female?

I wouldn't put them in anything as big as a 55g, I think there
was another threat recently about how unhappy they are in a
big space. Also, I've had two females which got along, but also
another one which didn't and had to be separated. And the male
would surely need to be separated. I'd leave Siamese fighters
out of a community tank to be certain.

1 pair Kribs
1 pair Swordtails
1 pair Guppies

Well I guess their fry would be live food for the others
if by pair you mean one of each. I've also heard that
because of their insatiable sexual appetite it's rather
cruel to have one male to one female - get one male to a
handful of females, so the lasses get some time off!

6 Cory Jullii
3 Clown Loaches
12 small Tetras (still have to determine which ones)

I find my kribs bully fish at feeding time and especially
if they have laid eggs. This is fine when they are bullying
clown loaches twice their size but I wouldn't like to keep
small fish in there. YMMV.

6-12 algae eaters (SAE and/or Ottos)
bunch of ghost shrimp (maybe)

I think those would get eaten, I'm not sure if the kribs
would dive in first and the clowns pull off any bits they
could, but I can see those getting chomped.

bunch of malaysian trumpet snails

My clown loaches manage to keep the population of these
down unfortunately so I never see any... not sure how
successful it would be.

P.S. If I actually have room for more, I was thinking of adding 4-6 zebra
danios.

Without wishing to comment on whether you have room for all those
fishes when full grown (simply because I havent kept them all
and also because I reckon you will have to change your selection
so it will be irrelevant) I would say you always have room for
4-6 zebra danios in a largish tank like that one.. because
they don't produce much waste so won't trouble the filter,
and zoom about in the top few inches of water - and I don't
think you've listed anything else that will be swimming that
high, the guppies perhaps.

HTH.

--
Flash Wilson
Me: So what is Gary's title these days?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:42 PM
blove

id never put a male and a female siamese fighting fish in the same tank
together unless it is heavily planted and even only if i was experienced in
the particuliar fish. males can kill unwilling to mate females and females
have been known to kill males. id just go with atleast 3 females. i have 4
female bettas in my 30 long and everyone gets along fine. but i wouldnt mix
males with females. with the guppies and swordtails you want 3 females to
each male just so the male doesnt pester the one female all the time to
breed. the jullii corys sound good with that many just cuz they do best in
groups of 3 or more., i dont know much aobut clown loaches and i dont know
much about the kribs. instead of those algea eaters i think a male and
female albino bristlenose pleco would be cool, they dont get huge like the
common plecos. i have a bunch of ghost shrimp in my 30 and they are good
little cleaners and fun to watch too. the clown loaches would probably eat
the snails, i do know they love snails.
i wouldnt add everyone at once id only add a few to let the tank cycle and
after the cycling id still gradually add until you have what ya want but as
for being too much, that one inch of fish per gallon rule is i find more of
a guidline for new aquariasts, as long as you routinly check your water
parameters and partial regularly and dont overfeed it should be ok.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Sue

1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish -either ONE male OR three or four females.
Its best to not mix sexes in a community tank.
Bettas are fine in big tanks but be careful if your LFS keeps them in tiny
containers as they may be rather unfit when first introduced. A breeding net
makes a good training area.
1 pair Kribs

- not ideal with smaller fish. Try apistogrammas, laetacaras or Rams
instead.
1 pair Swordtails 1 pair Guppies -

These prefer much harder water than your other choices so I wouldn't have
them.
6 Cory Jullii

-fine
3 Clown Loaches

- fine but the tank need to be mature & they will get big but take some time
doing so.
12 small Tetras (still have to determine which ones)

fine but I'd suggest 2 groups of 6 to give interest at different levels. If
you get pentazona barbs your clowns will school with them.
6-12 algae eaters (SAE and/or Ottos)

3 SAE or 5-6 otos or both.
bunch of ghost shrimp (maybe) bunch of malaysian trumpet snails

-both lunch for clown loaches.
P.S. If I actually have room for more, I was thinking of adding 4-6 zebra
danios.

-put these in first!
Sue

Old 08-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Harry Muscle

"Sue" wrote in message
1 pair Siamese Fighting Fish -either ONE male OR three or four females.

Its best to not mix sexes in a community tank.

Just out of curiosity, but why do you say that?

SNIP

1 pair Swordtails 1 pair Guppies -

These prefer much harder water than your other choices so I wouldn't have
them.

According to fishprofiles.com all of the fish (except the livebearers) are
OK in 5-19dH water. The livebearers are ok in 10-20dH. My water is around
7-8dH, which I'm hoping is going to be ok for the Guppies & Swordtails
especially since I used to have guppies many years ago in the same 7-8dH
water and they did really good (or at least they bred like crazy).

SNIP
Sue

Thanks for the input,
Harry

Old 08-01-2004, 07:43 PM
RedForeman ©®

If you're referring to bettas, sue is right... the male will be the living
$hit out of the female if/when he decides to mate.... it's not advisable to
put a male and female betta in the same tank without removing the female
after the male builds the bubble nest and she does her thing....

if you're talking about chinese algae eaters, then YGIAGAM (your guess is as
good as mine)

--

RedForeman ©®