Old 10-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Registered User

Default Gotta just kill, well everything. Can I?

Hello all,

First let me apologize for coming into a gardening forum, a place of growth, and asking how to do what I need to do...

I live in an city with houses right on top of each other. I have a side "yard" that I am turning into nothing but a gravel and fieldstone walkway.

Problem... There is MASSIVE growth of weeds and other plants. It's 3 1/1 feet wide, and about 65 feet long with a house on one side and a fence on the other.

I cannot have ANYTHING growing there. Ever... I don't want to deal with any kind of flora popping up anywhere. I have been pulling out roots for 2 months now while I prepare for the walkway, but these things keep returning.

WHAT can I pour into the soil to kill and KEEP DEAD anything. I'm talking nothing is even able to grow there. That's what I want.

Weed killers are not working. I mean, I know this sounds dumb, but can I pour something like, bleach, alcohol, or some kind of poison into the dirt? Something in large volumes that will not only kill, but stay in the soil and make that soil completely, 100% inhospitable?

Thanks you,

Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Ray Pearson

"Chris Bartlett" wrote in message

Hello all,

WHAT can I pour into the soil to kill and KEEP DEAD anything. I'm
talking nothing is even able to grow there. That's what I want.

Weed killers are not working.

TRIOX is the best I know of. Nothing will prevent growth forever, however
triox pretty much sterilizes the ground for at least a year. Kills
everything I know of, I was killing some zosha(sp) grass one time and over
did it and KILLED a 8" diameter tree.

think agent orange.

Likely you will have to re-treat the cracks and gaps periodically, BTW
bleach will degrade in a matter of days, alcohol is gone nearly immediately,
neither will have any effect more that a week down the road.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ray Pearson" wrote in message

"Chris Bartlett" wrote in
message

Hello all,

WHAT can I pour into the soil to kill and KEEP DEAD anything. I'm
talking nothing is even able to grow there. That's what I want.

Weed killers are not working.

TRIOX is the best I know of. Nothing will prevent growth forever, however
triox pretty much sterilizes the ground for at least a year. Kills
everything I know of, I was killing some zosha(sp) grass one time and over
did it and KILLED a 8" diameter tree.

think agent orange.

Likely you will have to re-treat the cracks and gaps periodically, BTW
bleach will degrade in a matter of days, alcohol is gone nearly
immediately,
neither will have any effect more that a week down the road.

He might want to follow the chemical with some landscape fabric, but not the
first one he runs across at a store. The owner of a local landscape place
mentioned to me that there are several levels of durability available. Worth
looking around for, especially if it's going to be used under gravel.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Ray Pearson

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"
He might want to follow the chemical with some landscape fabric, but not

the
first one he runs across at a store. The owner of a local landscape place
mentioned to me that there are several levels of durability available.

Worth
looking around for, especially if it's going to be used under gravel.

absolutely, I usew yards and yards, cuz I hate weeding!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
Chris Bartlett wrote:

- Hello all,
-
[...]

Why not put down a layer of plastic or some other material that
prevents weeds from growing there?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Registered User

Thanks, fellas. I'll try that.

Chris
Old 11-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Lady Blacksword

I haven't read the other advice offered yet, but I'd try rock salt, watered
in in heavy doses.
Murri

[...]

[IMG] code is On

I think this just about covers everything (OT - Seasonal greeting) Phil L United Kingdom 0 22-12-2005 12:54 PM
Gotta just kill, well everything. Can I? Doug Kanter Gardening 12 12-08-2005 05:10 PM
gotta move :( Valkyrie Gardening 8 28-07-2004 11:02 AM
Best way to kill everything growing now for next years garden plot Roy Hauer Gardening 4 04-08-2003 02:22 AM
Just when I thought I had seen everything KK from NJ Edible Gardening 2 24-05-2003 06:08 AM