Old 02-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Warren

Default Raised Bed Geometry Problem

I have a yard area that I want to put a circular raised be in. The area is
sort of a wedge with the tip chopped-off, except that one of the sides (the
west) is along side a driveway that flares into the area as it approaches
the south side (the street).

The south side is 10' long. The east side is 31' long. The north side is 30'
long. The west side is two segments, with a very obtuse angle (not quite a
straight line); the north segment on the west side is 14' long, and the
south segment is 10' long. The northwest and southeast corners are
90-degrees. The northeast corner is a little acute. The southwest corner is
a little obtuse.

I want to create the biggest circle I can that touches the east, south (the
street), and west (the driveway) sides. (It should not touch the north
side.)

If things don't add-up right, keep in mind that the measurements were
rounded to the nearest half-foot, and the exact location of the northeast
corner could be off slightly.

How big should the circle be?

My guess is that it's going to be around 11' or 12' in diameter. The problem
is that because of what's planted where, and when I can do the work, I'll
need to dig-up, and layout the northeast 2/3 of the circle before I can
clear the southwest 1/3. I can guess at a center point, and sweep a string
along that 2/3 of the northeast side, but I can't sweep it over the
southwest 1/3 to be sure it touches both the south and the west side, but
doesn't go over either. There's only so much I'll be able to fudge the
circle without people noticing it's not really round.

So is there anyone out there who did better in geometry class than I did who
can tell me how close I am?

Thanks

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 AM
vincent p. norris

I want to create the biggest circle I can that touches the east, south (the
street), and west (the driveway) sides.

Permit me to suggest that's not what you should do. Your raised bed
should be of such size and shape that you NEVER have to step on it.
In other words, you should be able to reach the center of your raised
bed while your feet are on the ground outside the raised bed.

vince norris
Old 03-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Warren

vincent p. norris wrote:
I want to create the biggest circle I can that touches the east, south
(the
street), and west (the driveway) sides.

Permit me to suggest that's not what you should do. Your raised bed
should be of such size and shape that you NEVER have to step on it.
In other words, you should be able to reach the center of your raised
bed while your feet are on the ground outside the raised bed.

Thanks for the input, but I do plan to have access to the entire bed. I'm
planning on two tiers, with access to the inner ring. The surface of the
whole outer ring will be accessible from the outside, and the inner ring
will be accessible from the access point. The design of the bed isn't the
issue. Knowing where that center point should be sited before removing
what's planted now on the most critical side is the issue.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
SVTKate

Warren,
I have never been good at math BUT what you might try is putting a stake in
the dirt and using a string as a large compass to trace your circle.
You can walk the area that way and see exactly where it is going to be.

It would be fast to do it this way and when you get it then just go back and
follow the mark with a hose, rope or paint.

Kate

:
[...]
: --
: Warren H.
:
: ==========
: Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
: employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
: Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
: coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
: response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants

Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Carolyn LeCrone

If you run string from diagonal corners, the place where they cross might be
a good place for the center. Then measure to the closest side. That would
be the radius of the circle.

ink.net...

Old 03-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Warren

SVTKate wrote:
Warren,
I have never been good at math BUT what you might try is putting a stake
in
the dirt and using a string as a large compass to trace your circle.
You can walk the area that way and see exactly where it is going to be.

It would be fast to do it this way and when you get it then just go back
and
follow the mark with a hose, rope or paint.

As I said in the message, because of what's planted in the southwest corner,
I can't get in to check the arc with a string, and certainly not multiple
times as I would only be guessing where the center point should go, and it's
unlikely I'd guess right the first time.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 03-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Warren

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:
If you run string from diagonal corners, the place where they cross might
be a good place for the center. Then measure to the closest side. That
would be the radius of the circle.

That won't work. The circle needs to stay completely within the edges, but
needs to touch the south edge (the narrow side of the irregularly shaped
area), and won't touch the north edge (the wider side of the area). Your
method would only allow me to center a circle in the area.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 03-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Salty Thumb

"Warren" wrote in
:

[...]

pick a set of reference coordinates. You know the east, south and west
are tangent to the circle. equation of line is y-b=m(x-a), circle (x-c)^
2 + (y-d)^2 = r^2. Solve for c, d, r. Choose the r the fits your
criteria.

No warranties express or implied.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Warren

Salty Thumb wrote:

pick a set of reference coordinates. You know the east, south and west
are tangent to the circle. equation of line is y-b=m(x-a), circle (x-c)^
2 + (y-d)^2 = r^2. Solve for c, d, r. Choose the r the fits your
criteria.

Gee. I didn't realize it was that simple.

Nor have I felt as dumb as I do right now looking at that equation. I have
no idea where to even start.

One of the things complicating this is that there are two segments on the
west side. I'm not sure if the circle will be touching both, or just one.

It's to the point that I'm ready to scrap this project. Solving this problem
in a practical way looks like I'm going to have to clear the whole area at
once, which isn't something I'll be able to have enough labor to do at the
right time of the year in the available window. I could just put in a
smaller circle that doesn't touch the edges, and hope it's placement doesn't
look too "off", but then I'll have some left-over scrap areas that'll need
to be cared for in some way. (It's hard to describe it all, as it is such an
irregular space.)

I'm ready to just toss the whole concept of repeating circles, and go with
something more free-form. I did think that the repeating circles vs. the odd
angles of things I can't move (like the driveway, the house, the street and
the lot line) would look good, but I obviously underestimated the difficulty
of the geometry when one can't just clear the land, and use more practical
methods like stakes, strings, and chalk lines that can be easily erased if
drawn wrong.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Salty Thumb

"Warren" wrote in
:

Salty Thumb wrote:

pick a set of reference coordinates. You know the east, south and
west are tangent to the circle. equation of line is y-b=m(x-a),
circle (x-c)^ 2 + (y-d)^2 = r^2. Solve for c, d, r. Choose the r the
fits your criteria.

Gee. I didn't realize it was that simple.

Nor have I felt as dumb as I do right now looking at that equation. I
have no idea where to even start.

Well if you start with y=0 as your south line, it should be easier and
you should be able to find m the slope and (a,b) the offset for the other
two/three lines by measuring from your reference point. Then plug into
your circle equation to solve. You also have your r approximation, you
can interatively go through possibilities till you find an acceptable c,
d. Should be pretty easy with a spreadsheet. If you have access to
Mathmatica or Mat(h)lab or maybe even some Internet applet you could
probably just type in the equations to get an answer.. As far as the
west side, I just assumed they were close enough to be straight using the
southwest line, but if you don't get an acceptable answer, you could
always try again with the northwest line. It is also possible that I am
off my nut, and you won't be able to get an answer with just those
equations.

[...]

There might be some easy theorem that would solve you easily, but the
hell if I could tell you what it is. As for practical methods, there
might be a way, but again, I couldn't tell you how. There must be some
Pyramid or Stonehenge builders hanging out in other groups.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
DrLith

Warren wrote:
[...]

I didn't do real good at geometry class, either, but I think I did come
up with a reasonable scale drawing of the space you described. If I'm
close, then a 12' diameter circle will NOT be big enough to do what you
want it to. The center of such a circle would need to be 6' up from the
street and 6' in from the driveway if it's going to touch both, and it's
not going to touch the west/northwest "almost straight" boundary at all.

Instead, you're going to need something closer to 17-18' in diameter
(about 8.5' in radius) centered 8.5-9' north of the street edge and
8.5-9' west of the driveway edge.

I'd suggest you draw out your own scale drawing, though--not too hard to
do if you cut out line segments of the appropriate length, lay down the
easy parts first (south and east side) and then test position the other
three segments until you get a mostly right angle in the northwest.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Warren

DrLith wrote:

[...]

I think you're right. I cut-out some paper strips to represent the sides.
Took me a good half-hour to get them down right, and that was even after
using corners of the paper to make combined south and east, and north and
northwest sides. It took awhile, including re-taping a couple of times when
corners didn't line-up, but I finally got it down.

I then used variously sized lids from jars and bottles until I found what
that fit the way I was hoping, and when I measured it, it was about 17 units
in diameter.

Truth is, I never did get it to fit as snugly into the narrow end as I was
seeing when I was looking at the actual location. This leaves me with two
too big areas in the southwest and southeast corners, and a circular area
far bigger than I want. I can't believe my perception from the ground was so
far off.

Even if I fudge everything in favor of what I envisioned, I still don't get
down to anything close to the 12' diameter I was guessing.

Of course this is exactly why I wanted to know all my measurements *before*
I started digging, and placing stones.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
SVTKate

How about this:

Draw it to scale on graph paper, then use a compass!

You can then transfer the layout from paper to planter with very little
stress.

Kate

"Warren" wrote in message
:

Old 04-09-2005, 05:35 AM

I would probably draw as accurate a map as possible, decide about where
to put the circle, go out and place a stake on each side of where I
figured it would fit, measure the distance between the stakes, divide
that in half and at the halfway mark put another stake, tie a long
string at least enough to reach one of the other stakes, then use that
as a protractor and draw the circle. If it is going over a property
line on one of the other sides, back all three stakes down the needed
distance and redraw. you may have to make the diameter smaller in order
to stay inside your perameters.
respectfully, lee

Old 04-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Andrew Ostrander

Making a paper model sounds like a good idea to me, but if you want to work
on the ground instead, bisect the southeast angle and bisect the southwest
angle. Where the bisectors meet is the center of your circle. Note that
because your west side is bent, there may not be a perfect circle that
touches all 3 sides, but the bisection method will find it if it exists.
..