Old 05-04-2003, 04:32 AM
William McHarg

Default How to get rid of ivy?

I have a stone house that had a LOT of ivy at one point. Someone took
down most of it. (there is a stump from the ivy about 3 inches in
diameter right by the house)

I want to just get rid of it. It damages the wall, gets in the cracks
around windows, etc.

Does anything kill this stuff without turning my front yard into a
toxic waste dump? It was even running across the lawn until I pulled
all of that up.

Mac
Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:20:18 GMT, William McHarg
wrote:

I have a stone house that had a LOT of ivy at one point. Someone took
down most of it. (there is a stump from the ivy about 3 inches in
diameter right by the house)

I want to just get rid of it. It damages the wall, gets in the cracks
around windows, etc.

Does anything kill this stuff without turning my front yard into a
toxic waste dump? It was even running across the lawn until I pulled
all of that up.

Check Google groups for the thread on "big old ivy patch..."

The only way to get rid of ivy is to pull/dig it up. It laughs at
herbicides.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Starlord

As far as I know, there is only one plant killer that will kill ivy and it does
do the job. I've used it in the past to kill off areas of ivy.

Don't know if it's still made or not, smelled like rotting fish when used.

trouble is it's been 20 years since using it and I've forgotten it's name,
started with a V I think.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"William McHarg" wrote in message
I have a stone house that had a LOT of ivy at one point. Someone took
down most of it. (there is a stump from the ivy about 3 inches in
diameter right by the house)

I want to just get rid of it. It damages the wall, gets in the cracks
around windows, etc.

Does anything kill this stuff without turning my front yard into a
toxic waste dump? It was even running across the lawn until I pulled
all of that up.

Mac

---

Old 05-04-2003, 05:44 PM
zxcvbob

"Starlord

As far as I know, there is only one plant killer that will kill ivy and it does
do the job. I've used it in the past to kill off areas of ivy.

Don't know if it's still made or not, smelled like rotting fish when used.

trouble is it's been 20 years since using it and I've forgotten it's name,
started with a V I think.

"Ammate X". But I think 2,4 D or triclopyr would work too. I would
*not* spray the whole thing with massive amounts of herbicide. And I
would not waste my time and money using Roundup, cuz it will take
something stronger.

Cut it all out as best as you can and haul it away. Treat the stumps
with "Brush-B-Gon", full strength, applied with a brush.

Bob
Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Tim B

The problem with Roundup is that people like to use the premixed version in
squirt bottles. That's 1%. Enough to kill grass in the cracks on the
sidewalk but not enough to do what you want done. The agricultural
concentration is, I think, a lot higher than that, but you figure it in
pounds per gallon so I'm not sure of the percentage.

If you just pull it up, it will come back (though the brush-b-gone idea
sounds like it would do the trick).

"Starlord

Old 06-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Harvey R. Stone

"Tim B" wrote in message
The problem with Roundup is that people like to use the premixed version

in
squirt bottles. That's 1%. Enough to kill grass in the cracks on the
sidewalk but not enough to do what you want done. The agricultural
concentration is, I think, a lot higher than that, but you figure it in
pounds per gallon so I'm not sure of the percentage.

If you just pull it up, it will come back (though the brush-b-gone idea
sounds like it would do the trick).

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

"Starlord

As far as I know, there is only one plant killer that will kill ivy

and
it does
do the job. I've used it in the past to kill off areas of ivy.

..

.

"Ammate X". But I think 2,4 D or triclopyr would work too. I would
*not* spray the whole thing with massive amounts of herbicide. And I
would not waste my time and money using Roundup, cuz it will take
something stronger.

.

Bob

Years ago I used something called Wipe Out. I am trying to get rid of some
ground cover that is taking over everything and have not been able to find
this product(there may be a good reason for this) Anyway, does anyone know
of something like Wipe Out that would kill this stuff?. It is long vines
and with small leaves. Some is variegated.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Cereoid+10+

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.

A kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

Old 07-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Ellenb9

I sprayed mine twice with RoundUp and it killed it completely down to the
roots.

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff? I Love Lucy Lawns 22 06-06-2006 03:11 AM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the yard? GeneS Texas 4 16-04-2004 02:32 PM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the Rick Shannon Texas 0 14-04-2004 05:02 AM