Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Daffodil Planting

I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering
how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up or
plant several different areas with one variety?

-Fleemo

Old 12-01-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering
how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up or
plant several different areas with one variety?

-Fleemo

Well I like them both ways. If you have enough bulbs, why not
take 2 of each variety and do a mixed planting and use the others
in monotype plantings and see which _You_ prefer? You can always
dig them up next year and change if you want.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering
how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up or
plant several different areas with one variety?

-Fleemo

I do it both ways, planting about 100 bulbs per year all over the place. If
I were you, not knowing what you wish, I would try it both ways and see how
you like it. As Emilie says, you can always move them later.
Tomes

Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tomes" wrote in
link.net:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering
how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up
or plant several different areas with one variety?

-Fleemo

I do it both ways, planting about 100 bulbs per year all over the
place. If I were you, not knowing what you wish, I would try it both
ways and see how you like it. As Emilie says, you can always move
them later. Tomes

Is it possible to plant bulbs in the spring for spring (late spring?)
blooming? I never seem to get it together in the fall to do the planting
and I kick myself every spring.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
"Tomes" wrote in
link.net:

oups.com...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
"Tomes" wrote in
link.net:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering
how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up
or plant several different areas with one variety?

-Fleemo

I do it both ways, planting about 100 bulbs per year all over the
place. If I were you, not knowing what you wish, I would try it both
ways and see how you like it. As Emilie says, you can always move
them later. Tomes

Is it possible to plant bulbs in the spring for spring (late spring?)
blooming? I never seem to get it together in the fall to do the planting
and I kick myself every spring.

Hi - This is my first posting in therse groups - so I hope it works.
You can plant your daffs in the spring - but they will come up a bit
later and flower a little later. Also the flowers will not be as good.
Hope this helps.
Am I allowed to put my gardening site link on here -
www.gardenseeker.com

Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
FragileWarrior wrote:
"Tomes" wrote in
link.net:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering
how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up
or plant several different areas with one variety?

-Fleemo

I do it both ways, planting about 100 bulbs per year all over the
place. If I were you, not knowing what you wish, I would try it both
ways and see how you like it. As Emilie says, you can always move
them later. Tomes

Also I personally feel that the varieties should be kept together - rather than mixing them up - especially if naturalising in a border or lawns for instance. In pots = you could mix them, but they will probably be a bit uneven in height and maybe even flowering time.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
FragileWarrior wrote:
"Tomes" wrote in
link.net:

oups.com...

Old 13-01-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Some varieties bloom earlier than others, so if you mix them and plant
them, you will have a sea of foliage with perhaps only scattered
blossoms at any time. If you don't mix them, you will have a mass of
blossoms, even if you cut some for display in the house.

We have beds of mixed varieties, with a few selected areas where we have
concentrated some varieties. I think that is the best of both worlds.

Old 13-01-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

I do both also - I planted daffodils and tulips this year and chose one
variety of daffodils but mixed three color variations of the same type
of tulips. Then I layered them with crocus and grape hyacinth planted
over! I'm going for a riot of color along the side of the house where
it is very drab and poor looking at the moment. (We just moved here the
end of the summer).

Angela
http://plantsbulbs.blogspot.com/

Old 14-01-2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Daffodils are wonderful flowers since animals care less for them than
other bulbs, they come back every spring and they multiply. I would
consider the height and bloom time and perhaps the color of each kind
when planting.

Old 14-01-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Since we're having such a mild winter in west central Indiana, what would
happen if I got my hands on some bulbs and planted them *now*? Would they
die if a freeze hit before they could grow roots?
Old 15-01-2007, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Since we're having such a mild winter in west central Indiana, what
would
happen if I got my hands on some bulbs and planted them *now*? Would
they
die if a freeze hit before they could grow roots?

I think that they would do fine. If I ran across more daffodil bulbs I
would buy them and plant them now (in NJ).
Tomes