Old 13-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Cereoid-XXX

Default Plants at Wal-Mart

Figures that butt kissing BJ would be in support of Wal-Mart. They don't
call him BJ for nothing. Did you kneel before the late John Walton?

"BTW, Wal-Mart has been an extremely generous supporter of local
beautification projects in the parks and public buildings our area by the
local garden clubs."

Too bad they pay their own employees little more than minimum wage and treat
them like crap. They should clean up their own house first before kissing up
to the politicians and their wives.

B & J wrote in message
"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message
Angela Coffey wrote:

I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (in Mount Pleasant, TX) last

week to
look at some flowers for my gardens. They were the most pitiful

looking
things I've ever seen! I almost cried! At least 3/4 of their plants
(flowers, veggies, EVERYTHING) was either dead or dying.

One of the superstores in Albuquerque has some decent looking ones -

finally,
but only because they built a fairly civil area to store them inside

wherew they
are protected from the elements. Went by a Lowes 2 weeks ago and they

left
theirs outside (very cold and in the wind that night) overnight.

Pathetic
looking little things.

--
John S. DeBoo

As a bit of defense for Wal-Mart, we have a great person in charge of the
garden section at our local super center. I have know him for the past

four
years and found him dedicated to his job. When I look for him with a
question or problem, I most often find him with a water wand in his hand
taking care of the newly arrived acquisitions or older plants that need
tending. (Most of the stuff moves so rapidly that it doesn't have time to
dry out or die.) His biggest complaint is that the management forces him

contend with "bodies" in getting things done. I have purchased a lot of
plant material from bulbs to fruit trees from this Wal-Mart and feel I've
always received good product and good treatment. I made it a point to

write
several letters to the management regarding what a great employee he is.

BTW, Wal-Mart has been an extremely generous supporter of local
beautification projects in the parks and public buildings our area by the
local garden clubs. Not all Wal-Marts are community pariahs.

John

Old 13-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Polar

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:50:53 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

[...]

BTW, Wal-Mart has been an extremely generous supporter of local
beautification projects in the parks and public buildings our area by the
local garden clubs. Not all Wal-Marts are community pariahs.

They write it off on their taxes. They'd never give a dime otherwise,
nor would any corporate donors.

Reminds me of Charles Hurwitz, the Maxxam mogul who raped the
Headwaters old growth forest to ship the lumber to Japan to make chop
sticks to bail out his junque bonds.

Many Web sites with links to details of the scandal. Here's a few:

http://www.iww.org/iu120/local/maxxam.html

http://bari.iww.org/iu120/local/Wagner1.html

When the Maxxam scandal hit the news -- wow, is it ten years ago??!!!
his rabbi in Texas came out with the same pious statements to the
effect that Hurwitz was a model member of the congregation, supported
the community, etc.etc. blah blah....while he's raping our national
heritage.

--
Polar
Old 13-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Polar

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:56:20 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:53:24 -0700, Polar wrote:

If you knew what those employees are paid, and how they are exploited
(forced overtime, no pay, for example), you might understand how they
have no time to care for the poor plants.

No, I don't. Please cite how much they are paid and how they work for no pay.
I'd be interested in the source for this information.

Try a Google search under key words such as "wal-mart employees".
You'll get a gazillion hits. Here's one:

http://www.pbs.org/storewars/stores3.html

I think it would be way cool if you showed up with a watering can
and pruning shears and went around caring for the plants; watering;
dead-heading, etc. Have a camera crew from your local TV station
accompany you.

Don't laugh. Way back when, I got my job at a garden center where I was a
customer at first. I'd spend hours walking around the 10 acres cleaning plants,
pulling weeds, etc. I did this because I lived in a condo and I really NEEDED
to be on some land. One day the owner came over to me and asked if I'd like to
work there and that's how I became a commercial grower. Talk about no
money...don't get me started. I made money, but barely what I was making doing
Weapon Spec work for the government. Back in the early 80's I was making 25
dollars an hour. I left all that to make about 10 dollars an hour, maybe it was
even a bit less.

Now that is one helluva story!! Stand tall man/lady! You have major
cojones, or the female equivalent, as the case may be. On your death
bed (may you be spared for many years), will you be glad you did
weapons spec work, or that you worked with living things that brought
joy to yourself and others.

You made my day!

--
Polar
Old 13-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Polar

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:22:15 -0500, Kevin Miller
wrote:

Thank goodness many of them were in prisons and torture chambers away
from their parents when the bombs fell...

I've seen obscene and I've seen obscene, but that one tops it all.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:49:25 -0700, Polar
wrote:

And how about the same thing for those who sell live animals? I don't
want to get into the conditions that obtain in so many pet stores!
Talk about cruelty!!! Why isn't this more closely supervised?

Answer: No money; but billions available to go kill Iraqui children.

--
Polar
Old 13-04-2003, 01:56 PM
None

The reason the plants are dead is because none of the big box stores own the
merchandise until you buy it. The grower is the one who must pick up the
plants and take the loss.

As to the few stores with live plants. The grower provides the store with a
merchandiser to care for the plants. Just more loss for the grower.

Last year growers that serviced these stores went bankrupt left and right.
Three were here in my state and I'm sure more are to follow and maybe then
they will see that the mass markets are not made for plants.

BUY FROM A REPUTABLE LOCAL GARDEN CENTER is my best advice.

"Angela Coffey" wrote in message
I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (in Mount Pleasant, TX) last week

look at some flowers for my gardens. They were the most pitiful looking
things I've ever seen! I almost cried! At least 3/4 of their plants
(flowers, veggies, EVERYTHING) was either dead or dying. Seems to me they
should hire some people for that department that know what the hell

they're
doing I'm thinking I may call the corporate offices and complain. Poor
plants, didn't have a chance with the people they've got working there

now!
Maybe I should go work there, LOL! Ok...just wanted to vent...

Angie

Old 13-04-2003, 05:20 PM
john wardle

"spampot" wrote in message
Angela Coffey wrote:
I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (in Mount Pleasant, TX) last

week to
look at some flowers for my gardens. They were the most pitiful looking
things I've ever seen! I almost cried! At least 3/4 of their plants
(flowers, veggies, EVERYTHING) was either dead or dying. Seems to me

they
should hire some people for that department that know what the hell

they're
doing I'm thinking I may call the corporate offices and complain. Poor
plants, didn't have a chance with the people they've got working there

now!
Maybe I should go work there, LOL! Ok...just wanted to vent...

Angie

Yet another reason not to shop at the Evil Corporate Giants. Go to a
local garden center instead. Yeah, I'm preaching, I know.

I recommend Gray's Garden Centers in the Eugene/Springfield OR. area.

(wife works there, ; ))

Old 13-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Warren

Polar wrote:
BTW, Wal-Mart has been an extremely generous supporter of local
beautification projects in the parks and public buildings our area by

the
local garden clubs. Not all Wal-Marts are community pariahs.

They write it off on their taxes. They'd never give a dime otherwise,
nor would any corporate donors.

Why stop at corporate donors? Everyone gets to write-off donations. By
your logic, no one would donate otherwise.

Also, keep in mind it's a tax deduction, not a credit. If your marginal
tax rate is 40%, and you write-off a $100 donation, you'll save $40 in
taxes. But if you don't donate the $100, even after paying the $40 in
taxes, you'd still have $60 in your pocket that you wouldn't have if you
made the donation.

So donating and writing it off doesn't mean you're saving any more money
for yourself. You're still taking money out of your pocket.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 13-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Thanks for that unbiased testimonial, Scooter.

Too bad the only reason you recommend it is because you admit you are having
sex with the employees there. I hear that's why BJ got involved with
gardening too!

Old 13-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Polar

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:56:27 GMT, "Warren"
wrote:

Polar wrote:
[...]

No economist, moi, but I suspect things work a little differently for
corporations than for individual donors.

Does the name "Enron" ring a bell?

--
Polar
Old 13-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Phisherman

It's all about the garden manager. Some do their job, others don't
(or have a boss that won't let them). This happens in other stores
too.

Old 13-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Snooze

"Warren" wrote in message

Why stop at corporate donors? Everyone gets to write-off donations. By
your logic, no one would donate otherwise.

Also, keep in mind it's a tax deduction, not a credit. If your marginal
tax rate is 40%, and you write-off a $100 donation, you'll save $40 in
taxes. But if you don't donate the $100, even after paying the $40 in
taxes, you'd still have $60 in your pocket that you wouldn't have if you
made the donation.

So donating and writing it off doesn't mean you're saving any more money
for yourself. You're still taking money out of your pocket.

Corporations get a lot more financial mileage out of their donations, then
regular folks like you and I get. Especially when they donate products.
Remember they get to deduct the market value of their donations, which is
full retail, not the wholesale value.

Plus they get to put a sign at park, press coverage etc, all that say
"plants provided by Wal-Mart". In effect tax-deductible advertisements.

Sameer

Old 13-04-2003, 11:32 PM
animaux

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:38:16 -0700, Polar wrote:

Now that is one helluva story!! Stand tall man/lady! You have major
cojones, or the female equivalent, as the case may be. On your death
bed (may you be spared for many years), will you be glad you did
weapons spec work, or that you worked with living things that brought
joy to yourself and others.

You made my day!

Well, of course I am far more happy to have brought life to the planet, than
death. The parts I worked on were for Boeing commercial jets, not fighters.
Weapon Spec is the quality of the assembly and soldering, etc, not necessarily
assembling weapons.

Either way, the best thing I did was take the job at the garden center. After
years of trade shows, and such...I doubt I could do that work any more. I'd
much prefer to water the pansies if I were to go back to work. Believe it or
not, I've never hired ONE PERSON who knew how to properly water flats of plants
or pots.

Old 14-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Buzzy

[...]

I calls it giving rational advice. I go to local garden centers where
I am known, treated with respect, cheerfully offered exchange-refund
on request if plants/seeds N.G., and generally feel I am dealing with
human beings instead of an "Evil Corporate Giant" (love it!)

Polar

Personally, I love to go to the road side stands that we have along a few of
the lesser travelled highways here in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. They
have some excellent choices for bedding plants, and they take excellent care
of them too. Most are grown on site (not all), and best of all, I find that
the individuals who work at these places are very knowledgable! Besides, I
can trade a banana box filled with Canna tubers for a hanging planter every
year!

Buzzy

Old 14-04-2003, 04:08 AM
animaux

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:07:58 -0400, "Buzzy" wrote:

Personally, I love to go to the road side stands that we have along a few of
the lesser travelled highways here in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. They
have some excellent choices for bedding plants, and they take excellent care
of them too. Most are grown on site (not all), and best of all, I find that
the individuals who work at these places are very knowledgable! Besides, I
can trade a banana box filled with Canna tubers for a hanging planter every
year!

Buzzy

That's a great idea. I spend all my money at basically two garden centers. Both
are in Austin. The Natural Gardener, and Barton Springs Garden Center.
However, I buy annuals and ordinary things at the box stores. Both the garden
centers I named are minimally 35 miles from my house. I make the trip about
once a month all year. Annuals and stuff, Lowes or Home Depot 6 miles away.
Old 14-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Warren

Polar wrote:

No economist, moi, but I suspect things work a little differently for
corporations than for individual donors.

Does the name "Enron" ring a bell?

Tax accounting is as related to economics as driveway paving is to
gardening. Enron has nothing to do with this either. And while the
numbers that apply to corporations may differ from individuals, and the
specifics of what is allowable, and what isn't may differ, the concept
is the same. Deductions are essentially a reduction of taxable income,
and a credit is a reduction of the actual tax. Wal-Mart gets a deduction
when they contribute to a non-profit organization.

None of this has anything to do with gardening, however.

To get back to how this thread relates to gardening, what you find at
any particular Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, or any other chain store in
their gardening department cannot be universally be applied to the
entire chain. It's questionable whether it can even be applied to the
outlets in a geographical area, either.

Merchandise may come into the store from the same suppliers. The format
of the display may be prescribed by the corporation as well. But unlike
a display of coffee, plants require care even after they're set out on
the merchandising floor, and the quality of care they get can vary
greatly from store to store.

You can find mass merchandisers with garden centers cared for by
wonderfully skilled professionals. You can also find local garden
centers that make use of surly teenagers from the local detention center
for their uncaring workforce.

I'd never be so presumptuous to tell someone 1000 miles away where to
get the best plants, any more than I'd be so presumptuous to make
baseless blanket statements about what the motivates people or
businesses to donate to charitable organizations.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.