Old 22-07-2006, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
pixi

Default Run-Away Vine

Got a vine here (Potomac Highlands, NE WV) that is a terrible mess. The
flower looks like morning glory but is white. It crawls and climbs, and
wraps itself on everything. I don't think it's a moonflower because it
blooms all day. If I don't keep cutting it out it would choke my good
plants out of existance.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it permanently?

Thanks a bunch.

Old 22-07-2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"pixi" wrote in message
Got a vine here (Potomac Highlands, NE WV) that is a terrible mess. The
flower looks like morning glory but is white. It crawls and climbs, and
wraps itself on everything. I don't think it's a moonflower because it
blooms all day. If I don't keep cutting it out it would choke my good
plants out of existance.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it permanently?

Thanks a bunch.

Might be bindweed. Compared to a quarter, how big are the flowers?

Old 22-07-2006, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
pixi

Thanks for the prompt reply. The flowers are morning glory size, possibly
two inches across.

Can't see the borealis from here. Too far south, darn it. We got some
fairly spectacular shows in Michigan at times.

Old 22-07-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"pixi" wrote in message
Got a vine here (Potomac Highlands, NE WV) that is a terrible mess. The
flower looks like morning glory but is white. It crawls and climbs, and
wraps itself on everything. I don't think it's a moonflower because it
blooms all day. If I don't keep cutting it out it would choke my good
plants out of existance.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it permanently?

Thanks a bunch.

Might be bindweed. Compared to a quarter, how big are the flowers?

Thanks for the prompt reply. The flowers are morning glory size, possibly
two inches across.

This Google search produced plenty of results:
http://images.google.com/images?q=bi...e arch+Images

There are several varieties of the plant, related to the Morning Glory.
Compare leaf shapes to narrow down what you've got. I consulted the NY State
Department of Environmental Conservation abuot 15 years ago for advice on
eradicating the weed. I was told that although there are chemicals you could
use to kill it, you'd need a special permit to obtain them, and you'd be
insane you use them anywhere on your property. The roots spread deep and
wide. Your best bet is to simply control the weed by hacking at it.
Theoretically, you could also cover the affected area with plastic for two
seasons, killing everything.

I found that 2-3 attacks with weeding tools per season kept it under control
around flowers, vegetables and shrubs. In the lawn, the situation was
hopeless. BUT....during the time when lawns normally turn brown, the
bindweed remained green & thick, and was very comfortable to walk on. So, I
stopped fretting about it.

Old 22-07-2006, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Mo
http://scarab.msu.montana.edu/CropWe...ementLawns.htm

Old 22-07-2006, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Do the leaves seem to match the pictures?

"pixi" wrote in message
Sounds like the same problem as getting rid of cactus. Believe it or not,
this part of wv is covered with prickly pear cactus. Beautiful flowers
but tough to walk on. And it only gets a few inch tall around here. Only
a someone with a special license can use chemicals on it.

maybe I can cover it with trash bags. It (the bindweed??) has taken over
the rock garden around my waterfall. I'll try it and see what happens.
Thanks again.

Old 22-07-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
pixi

Sure do. It's field bindweed for sure. Thanks a quadrillion (if there is
such a word).

I'll do what I can to get rid of it.

Old 22-07-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
pixi

Old 22-07-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
pixi

Oops!! The last e-mail got away from me. I'll try using Roundup and put
it on with a paint brush so it can't hurt anything else. I hope.

Old 23-07-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Newsreader

I had that obnoxious stuff growing up from under some hemlock trees at my
last home. Really tough to get rid of. I would yank it out of the ground as
best I could on a weekly basis. Also yank it out out of the trees. I never
could seem to pull any roots out, even when the soil was moist & loose.

I had reasonable success with roundup on freshly emerged vines that were not
coming up in the middle of my perrenial beds. When it did come up in the
middle of planted beds or lawn, hand pulling kept it in tow pretty well, as
long as I did it very regularly.

I have to say the bindweed is the one & only plant I don't miss, now that I
have moved & started anew with gardens at my new property. Good luck to you
in your battle.

Old 23-07-2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

"Newsreader" wrote in message
I had that obnoxious stuff growing up from under some hemlock trees at my
last home. Really tough to get rid of. I would yank it out of the ground
as best I could on a weekly basis. Also yank it out out of the trees. I
never could seem to pull any roots out, even when the soil was moist &
loose.

I had reasonable success with roundup on freshly emerged vines that were
not coming up in the middle of my perrenial beds. When it did come up in
the middle of planted beds or lawn, hand pulling kept it in tow pretty
well, as long as I did it very regularly.

I have to say the bindweed is the one & only plant I don't miss, now that
I have moved & started anew with gardens at my new property. Good luck to
you in your battle.

Bindweed and morningglories are related, but in NE US morningglories are an
annual, spread by seed, whereas, field bindweed Convolvulus arvenis) spreads
by seeds and rhizomes. The rhizomes can be as deep as 6 meters, so
impossible to get all the roots out. It is actually mostly spread by
cultivation (pieces of rhizomes). Round-up is probably the only practical
remedy. Even then, you'll have to be persistent. (Source: "Weeds of the
Northeast")
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 23-07-2006, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
pixi

I'm going to start painting the leaves tomorrow. Can't spray. Too many
plants and shrubs around.

Thanks a bunch for your comments, both of you and "Spare Bedroom".

Old 23-07-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"pixi" wrote in message
I'm going to start painting the leaves tomorrow. Can't spray. Too
many plants and shrubs around.

Are you going to paint it on full strength? I've got a can of the stuff
and am hesitant to use it full strength, but I think that would be most
effective on stubborn, woody nuisances with vast underground root
systems.

One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to
pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toilet
(ducking).