Old 25-07-2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Run-Away Vine

"I Love Lucy" expounded:

My yard is looking better every day since I got rid of most of those
weeds.

I get rid of my weeds and keep my gardens well groomed wtihout the use
of chemicals. It's a pleasure to weed, dig in the dirt, prune, garden
in general, and I've got every single weed you mentioned plus more.
I've got many gardens around my .6 acre. It's called gardening and
it's very easy to do it without chemicals. Why you want to douse
everything with poison is beyond me. You may not be as dumb as a box
of rocks, but you certainly do sound a bit lazy.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 25-07-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Unless we buy 100% certified organic food, we are eating products that
have been treated with chemicals by the hundreds of tons. I never will
spray my fruit trees though. One lady who wanted an apple from my tree
wouldn't let her kid pick any until I assured her they hadn't been
sprayed. Just about everything around us has one kind of chemical or
another in it.

Interesting last paragraph. Based on that logic, we're wide open to do
almost anything we want, simply because somebody else is doing it. This
reminds me of my mother's nagging: "Just because your friends do stupid
things, it doesn't mean YOU have to do them, too".

The whole post was interesting to me. My logic is impeccable. 1. I do
not like to use pesticides, herbicides, genetically spliced seeds, or kill
mice.. 2. I had my son spray as a last resort because I am getting old
and my yard was the scourge of the neighborhood and I didn't want to spend
the summer digging dandelions. 3. For once my son offered to help; he
has all the gear. It was either him or chemlawn. They charge. 4. My
next-door neighbor is trying to sell his house and mine makes his look
less desirable. Plus he wants too much for it. And a whole bunch else
that is not germane but has everything to do with everything in my little
corner of the world..

It is not stupid to want my yard to look better and I am not dumb as a box
of rocks. You have not gotten a letter from your city about your weeds
I'll wager. I have. Multiple times about multiple things. The last one
was about my trees. They have to have 8' clearance over the sidewalk..
The last letter I got said if I let my grass get too high again, I would
have to come down to court. That scared me. So I, naturally, had to
conform with the crowd. ****es me off.

Now you don't want me to spray. You must belong to one of those
environmental groups.

Now let's call a truce and agree to disagree. You retract what you said
about my being as dumb as a box of rocks and I won't tell you you are
being a prick. OK?

OK. You're not dumb. You're too busy to think this through completely. Call
the nearest high school and ask if they have a system to connecting students
who want short term jobs with people offering them. The principal at my
son's school started such a program and it was so successful, he had to hire
a part time secretary to handle the volume.

Environmental group??? I don't join clubs. I just read a lot, and I
understand what I'm reading.

Old 25-07-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"sockiescat" wrote in message

pixi You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects.
Is
anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I
slip a
cog or two on.

Pixi

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
...-
"I Love Lucy"
wrote in message
ink.net...-

"pixi"
wrote in message
...-
Are you referring to me, Joe? Mensa considers me to be quite
intelligent.-

No, I'm sure he meant me, and I'm right up there near you. Was. Am
slipping due to age and stress.-

High scores on Mensa's little picture & word puzzles do not mean you
are
well informed on all subjects.
-

okay lets get this straight lol. i said before that roundup is not
systemic. i was
referring to how it works . okay roundup is systemic to the plant
itself it stays
with the plant and acts for about 10 days. but roundup is non systemic
to the
soil itself actually it binds with the upper layer and is gone within a
few days.
it does not seep into ground water therefore does not contaminate water
courses.
so anyone thinking that it does affect the water table or contaminate
underground
water should do a google search and see what it has to say about it.
the only way u would get roundup into your water is if u mixed it right
over an open
well otherwise u are not going to contaminate anyones water course.
cyaaa, sockiescat.

--
sockiescat

Old 25-07-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

OK. You're not dumb. You're too busy to think this through completely.
Call the nearest high school and ask if they have a system to
connecting students who want short term jobs with people offering
them. The principal at my son's school started such a program and it
was so successful, he had to hire a part time secretary to handle the
volume.

To dig out every single weed that has taken over practically your whole
yard? Just what did they do? You'd have to have them keep coming back.
And pay them, of course. I don't want to be too negative, but when I
needed my steps poured and was trying to find someone reasonable, I
called work force, nyet, they don't do that any more, called churches to
see if they had people who did cement work reasonably, couple tried, I
wasn't asking for charity, but no takers; they have more important
things to do anyway, didn't know any illegals to call, but heard some
Spanish speaking in the nicer block next down from mine while lawn work
was being done. That doesn't mean they were illegals. When I needed my
car fixed, I called the local community college. Didn't have time for
my car. It's all such a hassle.

I might try to fit in a call like that today just to do some fact
finding, but it is summer and I don't want to go vote, but I am going to
try to fit that in. And sand the fill on one of my projects, and it's
going to get near 90 so I won't make much progress on that, and it's
going to be a heck of a lot of work. It's old lead based paint, and I
don't want to sand it in the house which I sometimes do and vacuum it
all after.

Well I made a feeler call, looked in the yellow pages. We have probably
20 high schools in the area. I picked my alma mater. Couldn't find
number for principal's office. Called admin ctr. They transferred me
to special programs, "let me find out who I need to send you to, hold
on". Pause. Transfers me to lady, won't name her. Ring. ring, ring,
thought I'd get a recorder. She picks up the phone. I am specific,
kids to weed lawns without using chemicals. "No, nothing like that,
can't honestly answer". Suggested college kids or community service.
Referred me to Juvenile Court. I'm sorry but that is not an option
because I have dealt with court cases who have stolen from me and done
worse, like kill people. In my case it was checks, went to Wal Mart,
bought stuff, returned it for cash. It took some time to get myself out
of that mess and my credit union thought I might be in on it so I had to
submit handwriting samples, report to police, very humiliating on my end
actually. So I don't want kids in trouble up here, had enough trouble
with my own.

If the banks compared handwriting samples, which they don't I can assure
you from multiple experiences, there'd be a lot less stolen checks
cleared.

Environmental group??? I don't join clubs. I just read a lot, and I
understand what I'm reading.

I don't understand everything because some topics are actually over my
head, and I don't want to invest the time to study up on everything.
Plus I skim and/or speed read. This is not high on my list of
interests. How many women read up on getting rid of weeds in their lawn
and chemicals? Their husbands take care of it (usually by spraying or
hiring places like chemlawn to do it), they go without and just try to
keep the mowing done one way or another, some can do it themselves but
they a are a small minority, or they hire somebody to use chemicals
which is fast. I've observed properties owned by women who don't have
dh's or whose dh's aren't too dear and watch tv while their wives or
gf's cut the grass. One lady was planting a hill in early spring. She
didn't prepare it, just stuck things here and there and next time I go
by there, I'll ask her how she deals with the weeds. The lady around
the corner has pretty flowers, too large a property to handle, but the
weeds are out of control and ruining her beautiful heirloom rose bush
and the whole look of the place. There's Virginia Creeper and sumac in
that bush because she can't keep up, obviously, and she's in her 30's.
That's the way it is.

Since you made at least a semi-retraction, I'll try to play nicer.
Unless you go into insult mode again. In a case like that, I'd best
just give it a rest.

Old 25-07-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" expounded:

My yard is looking better every day since I got rid of most of those
weeds.

I get rid of my weeds and keep my gardens well groomed wtihout the use
of chemicals. It's a pleasure to weed, dig in the dirt, prune, garden
in general, and I've got every single weed you mentioned plus more.
I've got many gardens around my .6 acre. It's called gardening and
it's very easy to do it without chemicals. Why you want to douse
everything with poison is beyond me. You may not be as dumb as a box
of rocks, but you certainly do sound a bit lazy.

Well, superwoman I'm not, Ann. And maybe I'm a bit lazy. I'm tired and
haven't been well for some years if you must know the truth. I am
getting old. It is not a pleasure having had one case of skin cancer
among other things to be out in the hot sun weeding. yes I can do it
after the sun goes down but overcast days have ultraviolet rays bouncing
around, I have a hat and whatever, the wind blows it off, don't like it.
I don't want to weed. I don't like it. I planted some pretty flowers.
It is all I can do to hand weed those and carry gallons of water where
the hose won't reach behind the garage, keep up with the rest of the
constant watering in the heat, my interest in photography has been shot
to you know what from all this gardening work which I haven't done for
years, and it's nowhere near where I eventually want to be with it. It
has been hot. It is all I can do to keep up with that much and work on
two projects inside destined for outside if they ever get done that are
dear to my heart.

I'm glad there are some women who can do it right. I am not one of
them.

Old 25-07-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...

Their husbands take care of it (usually by spraying or hiring places like
chemlawn to do it),

A ChemLawn employee (maybe 16 years old) once told my wife that the stuff he
was about to spray on the neighbor's lawn, a liquid which the wind would've
blown onto our veg garden, was entirely safe and approved for use around
food crops. A call to his office revealed otherwise. He was about to apply
some weed stuff that was NO WAY supposed to be anywhere near vegetables.
Unfortunately, the office people told me the stuff was safe. The young
employee was stupid. The office staff was crooked & deceptive.

Old 25-07-2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...

Their husbands take care of it (usually by spraying or hiring places
like chemlawn to do it),

A ChemLawn employee (maybe 16 years old) once told my wife that the
stuff he was about to spray on the neighbor's lawn, a liquid which the
wind would've blown onto our veg garden, was entirely safe and
approved for use around food crops. A call to his office revealed
otherwise. He was about to apply some weed stuff that was NO WAY
supposed to be anywhere near vegetables. Unfortunately, the office
people told me the stuff was safe. The young employee was stupid. The
office staff was crooked & deceptive.

Interesting. As I came out from voting, I scoped out the lawn at one of
the newer and probably one of the highest achievment academically
elementary schools in the area. There were a large dandelion, some
oxalis and other weeds by the front door. In the grass, which was
neatly mowed, there was what appeared to be juvenile plaintain, stunted
clover, much of it shaded, can't remember what else, didn't notice any
dandelions. Plantain spreads out in large pancakes if allowed to grow
for a lengthy period, so I'm assuming maybe this hasn't been there so
long, or they were smart enough to import a variety with a more compact
growth habit than mine.

So I called chemlawn and asked them if they had any contracts with the
public schools. After being put on hold, I was told that the only
contract they had was for the grass on the public fields and stadium.
Leaves some questions unanswered.

No, I wouldn't want any drifting spray on my vegetables either. I don't
grow any, too much shade and what's isn't as shaded I want for flowers.
But I'm reasonably certain all the produce I buy at the supermarkets,
hit several for this and that, has been treated in one form or another.
I eat the stuff anyway except I don't like store tomatoes and sweet
corn, but occasionally buy the Roma ones. I don't like the waxy
coating. It's more expensive at the health food store and doesn't look
as nice. We have a farmer's market where you can get wonderful produce
in the summer. It's probably a mixed bag whether any of it has been
sprayed or not. The way my son's sprayer was rigged, it created a more
like a hefty squirt, I was standing near him part of the time and
didn't want any on my skin, and I was worried about my new flowers in
the back which I covered in double bags and left until the next morning,
but then it was not breezy that evening. He used to work for chemlawn,
still sprays, but is leery about possible toxic effects from it. I know
he didn't use Roundup but can't remember what it was.

To spray or not to spray, that is the question. I'll spray once or
twice a year except for the violets on the west side of the house.
Looks like violet alley.

Old 25-07-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"pixi" expounded:

The poor woman made a simple remark. Why are you all picking on her. And
as for Ann. .6 acres is one very small lot. And you are probably a sweet
young thing who has no idea what it feels like to be old.

Gee, thanx. I'm hardly a sweet young thing anymore, I'm in the second
half of my century G.

Lazy? I doubt
it. I was once known as a workaholic. My daughter often accused me of
making work just for the heck of it. I am over 80 years old and I keep
plugging but I can't get much done any more. Makes me mad. But that's old
age.

I hope to be in my 90's and still working in my garden. And I hope to
be fulltime in Maine by then.

Let's knock off being nasty to Lucy.

Not particularly nasty, but blunt. It isn't hard to keep your yard in
order. I've got 2.5 acres up in Maine that stays quite nice, too,
given the limited amount of time we spend at that home. I just don't
like dousing the environment with chemicals because someone doesn't
want to weed. Grass it all over and mow it (and learn to love
dandelions.
Old 26-07-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

I've got many gardens around my .6 acre. It's called gardening and
it's very easy to do it without chemicals.

..6 acre? OMG!
i suppose you panic at the site of a mouse trap?
do you put bells around the necks of your cats?

--
rosie

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've
experienced, it would be expected that he would retire or resign."
.................................................. .......william buckley

Old 26-07-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

pixi wrote:

Y'all ever read the label on canned goods, packaged goods, etc. Unless the
stuff is 100 % home grown and home cooked, who knows what all those
chemicals could do.

Unless we buy 100% certified organic food, we are eating products that
have been treated with chemicals by the hundreds of tons. I never will
spray my fruit trees though. One lady who wanted an apple from my tree
wouldn't let her kid pick any until I assured her they hadn't been
sprayed. Just about everything around us has one kind of chemical or
another in it.

a little bit MIGHT be good for you.
do a search on 'chemical hormesis'

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 26-07-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"readandpostrosie" expounded:

.6 acre? OMG!
i suppose you panic at the site of a mouse trap?
do you put bells around the necks of your cats?

Cats don't go out. It isn't huge by most standards, but it's all I've
got down here. I'm surrounded, however, by over eight acres of
award-winning rhododendron woodland gardens, so it seems bigger.
Old 26-07-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

ANN,
my post was meant to be sarcastic................

i was surprised by your response about weeding etc......................some
folks just can't......................

Old 26-07-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"readandpostrosie" expounded:

ANN,
my post was meant to be sarcastic................

Yea, I got that, but I was being serious.

i was surprised by your response about weeding etc......................some
folks just can't......................

I don't mean to belittle anyone who can't, it's those that won't, and
use poisons.....

I apologize to anyone who can't weed but still love their gardens.
Old 27-07-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pour gasoline on it lots of it.

"pixi" wrote in message
Got a vine here (Potomac Highlands, NE WV) that is a terrible mess. The
flower looks like morning glory but is white. It crawls and climbs, and
wraps itself on everything. I don't think it's a moonflower because it
blooms all day. If I don't keep cutting it out it would choke my good
plants out of existance.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it permanently?

Thanks a bunch.