Old 24-07-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Run-Away Vine

snip
One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to
pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toilet
(ducking).

It wouldn't have any effect. Roundup (Glyphosate) has to be
sprayed (spread) onto growing foliage and absorbed. Using it
any other way is just a waste of your money.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

I gave this only a brief look, wiki info isn't always
correct. It did appear to have the basics though, explaining
exactly how Glyphosate works.

Anyone who uses Roundup or Glyphosate should take the time
to read and understand how it is suppose to work before
using it.

If you buy your groceries from the store you have been
eating the stuff (Glyphosate) for years now. Trace amounts
can be found in virtually all products made from
commercially grown crops.

Old 24-07-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"pixi" wrote in message
Are you referring to me, Joe? Mensa considers me to be quite
intelligent.

No, I'm sure he meant me, and I'm right up there near you. Was. Am
slipping due to age and stress.

High scores on Mensa's little picture & word puzzles do not mean you are
well informed on all subjects.

Old 24-07-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is
anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I slip a
cog or two on.

Pixi

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 24-07-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

OK. Recently, prominent scientists who study the effects of chemicals on the
human body have said that it may be a lost cause because there is no way to
conduct a controlled study, as can be done to a much greater extent with
pharmaceuticals. Second fact: Unlike 30-40 years ago, when industries were
the biggest polluters, the largest known sources of chemical pollution are
now homeowners and golf courses. You can control one of those things, at
least in your own home, and by teaching whoever will listen, beginning with
the young people in your family.

"pixi" wrote in message
You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is
anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I slip
a cog or two on.

Pixi

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 24-07-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Perhaps not, but true, if you mishandle chemicals whose toxicity is
unknown. Since the toxicity of ALL garden chemicals is unknown, you
can draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion for some time has been that they could all be dangerous
and should be handled with extreme caution. My conclusion is also that
I do not fire the first volley of gratuitous insults at another poster.
But that's usenet. I'm used to it.

Old 24-07-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

You are forgetting the runoff from agricultural production. Playing hob
with the ocean life.

Do you know which one of the two of us you are arguing with?

"pixi" wrote in message
You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is
anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I slip
a cog or two on.

Pixi

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 24-07-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yes - you're the Mensa person. I'm filling you in on something new.
Agricultural runoff has actually decreased markedly over the years, while
the opposite has happened with homeowners and golf courses. The homeowner
factor is related to lifestyle, advertising and intellect.

"pixi" wrote in message
You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is
anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I
slip a cog or two on.

Pixi

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 24-07-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
snip
One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to
pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toilet
(ducking).

It wouldn't have any effect. Roundup (Glyphosate) has to be
sprayed (spread) onto growing foliage and absorbed. Using it
any other way is just a waste of your money.

That's what the guy told me at the hardware store where I bought it.
Foliage. That's good enough for me. Easier, too.

Yes, I will read the back of the can carefully before I tackle that.
Thanks for the good info.

Old 24-07-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Perhaps not, but true, if you mishandle chemicals whose toxicity is
unknown. Since the toxicity of ALL garden chemicals is unknown, you can
draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion for some time has been that they could all be dangerous and
should be handled with extreme caution. My conclusion is also that I do
not fire the first volley of gratuitous insults at another poster. But
that's usenet. I'm used to it.

Shock has value. There is NO excuse for using these chemicals at home. Not
ever.

Old 24-07-2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Been fun. It's supposed to go down into the 50's tonight so I am going out
to sleep in my woods.

Have a good one.

"pixi" wrote in message
You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is
anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I
slip a cog or two on.

Pixi

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 24-07-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Perhaps not, but true, if you mishandle chemicals whose toxicity is
unknown. Since the toxicity of ALL garden chemicals is unknown, you
can draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion for some time has been that they could all be dangerous
and should be handled with extreme caution. My conclusion is also
that I do not fire the first volley of gratuitous insults at another
poster. But that's usenet. I'm used to it.

Shock has value. There is NO excuse for using these chemicals at home.
Not ever.

So who is going to dig all my dandelions, kill all my Virginia Creeper,
kill all my unknown kudzu-mimicing vine, all the underground root
systems, all my oxalis, all my creeping charlie, all my crabgrass, all
my lamb's ears (pull that by hand because of my violets), all my stuff
that looked like marijuana that nobody ever id'ed, my volunteer walnut
tree that refuses to give up when I whack it, and who knows what else is
lurking out there? This is my reward for my environmentally friendly,
bird-loving, pet-protectionist, self-protectionist do-nothing approach
for years. It's getting a couple apps of some broadleaf pesticide a
year and paint brushing from now on. I'd do it myself, but the tank
when full weighs 40 pounds and you wear it like a backpack. It's bad
enough I have to hand weed my wildflowers and some other spots.

I think I'll go dump all my old gasoline and chemicals in the rain drain
across the street because I don't want to waste fossil fuel, my time and
my energy driving it to the hazardous waste center where disposal is by
appointment only. I'm just kidding. I did dump gasoline in it years
ago before I knew better.

My yard is looking better every day since I got rid of most of those
weeds.

Unless we buy 100% certified organic food, we are eating products that
have been treated with chemicals by the hundreds of tons. I never will
spray my fruit trees though. One lady who wanted an apple from my tree
wouldn't let her kid pick any until I assured her they hadn't been
sprayed. Just about everything around us has one kind of chemical or
another in it.

Old 25-07-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Interesting last paragraph. Based on that logic, we're wide open to do
almost anything we want, simply because somebody else is doing it. This
reminds me of my mother's nagging: "Just because your friends do stupid
things, it doesn't mean YOU have to do them, too".

Old 25-07-2006, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Unless we buy 100% certified organic food, we are eating products
that have been treated with chemicals by the hundreds of tons. I
never will spray my fruit trees though. One lady who wanted an apple
from my tree wouldn't let her kid pick any until I assured her they
hadn't been sprayed. Just about everything around us has one kind of
chemical or another in it.

Interesting last paragraph. Based on that logic, we're wide open to do
almost anything we want, simply because somebody else is doing it.
This reminds me of my mother's nagging: "Just because your friends do
stupid things, it doesn't mean YOU have to do them, too".

The whole post was interesting to me. My logic is impeccable. 1. I do
not like to use pesticides, herbicides, genetically spliced seeds, or
kill mice.. 2. I had my son spray as a last resort because I am
getting old and my yard was the scourge of the neighborhood and I didn't
want to spend the summer digging dandelions. 3. For once my son
offered to help; he has all the gear. It was either him or chemlawn.
They charge. 4. My next-door neighbor is trying to sell his house and
mine makes his look less desirable. Plus he wants too much for it. And
a whole bunch else that is not germane but has everything to do with
everything in my little corner of the world..

It is not stupid to want my yard to look better and I am not dumb as a
box of rocks. You have not gotten a letter from your city about your
weeds I'll wager. I have. Multiple times about multiple things. The
last one was about my trees. They have to have 8' clearance over the
sidewalk.. The last letter I got said if I let my grass get too high
again, I would have to come down to court. That scared me. So I,
naturally, had to conform with the crowd. ****es me off.

Now you don't want me to spray. You must belong to one of those
environmental groups.

Now let's call a truce and agree to disagree. You retract what you said
about my being as dumb as a box of rocks and I won't tell you you are
being a prick. OK?