Old 25-07-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default When can peppers be picked?

The other day I went out and discovered that my jalepeno plants had
produced several peppers apparently overnight. They're about 2" long,
but appear to have stopped getting longer. Does this mean then can be
picked? How long should I leave them there before I can eat them?

Thanks!
Old 25-07-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John" wrote in message
The other day I went out and discovered that my jalepeno plants had
produced several peppers apparently overnight. They're about 2" long, but
appear to have stopped getting longer. Does this mean then can be picked?
How long should I leave them there before I can eat them?

Thanks!

You can leave them as long as you want. I left some until late October last
year. They began turning reddish, but they were still fine. Unbelievably
hot, but hey...that's what I wanted.

Old 25-07-2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John" wrote in message
The other day I went out and discovered that my jalepeno plants had
produced several peppers apparently overnight. They're about 2" long, but
appear to have stopped getting longer. Does this mean then can be picked?
How long should I leave them there before I can eat them?

Thanks!

You can leave them as long as you want. I left some until late October last
year. They began turning reddish, but they were still fine. Unbelievably
hot, but hey...that's what I wanted.

Does this mean they'd be good to eat now? (I can't wait heheh).
Old 25-07-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John" wrote in message
The other day I went out and discovered that my jalepeno plants had
produced several peppers apparently overnight. They're about 2" long,
but appear to have stopped getting longer. Does this mean then can be
picked? How long should I leave them there before I can eat them?

Thanks!

You can leave them as long as you want. I left some until late October
last year. They began turning reddish, but they were still fine.
Unbelievably hot, but hey...that's what I wanted.

Does this mean they'd be good to eat now? (I can't wait heheh).

Mine were milder at this point than later in the season. Either way, they
were quite a bit hotter than the kind that come in a can or jar. And,
cooking or simply combining it with other ingredients didn't tone it down,
which I discovered after making incorrect assumptions about them and putting
WAY too many in some homemade salsa. Nobody else was willing to eat it after
the first bite. More for me. Same with a pot of chili I added them to.

Warning: After you get done cutting them up, don't touch your nose, eyes or
your pecker. You've been warned. Wash your hands with dish soap, not the
cutesy flowery make-your-hands-soft soap in a pump dispenser that ladies
sometimes have hanging around.

Old 25-07-2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Warning: After you get done cutting them up, don't touch your nose, eyes or
your pecker. You've been warned. Wash your hands with dish soap, not the
cutesy flowery make-your-hands-soft soap in a pump dispenser that ladies
sometimes have hanging around.

===================

From my experiences with Jalapeno, Habanero and Finger peppers
(Cayenne family), the only truly safe way to handle them is to use
those inexpensive, disposable gloves, discard the gloves when done
handling the peppers and still wash your hands very well.

Of course, it took me 3 different and horrible experiences getting pepper
juice on one of my eyes before I finally wised up

Old 25-07-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
TQ TQ is offline

"John" wrote in message
The other day I went out and discovered that my jalepeno plants had
produced several peppers apparently overnight. They're about 2" long,
but appear to have stopped getting longer. Does this mean then can be
picked? How long should I leave them there before I can eat them?

Peppers can be picked at anytime, but will be at their peak flavor when
small cracks appear on the skin.

Old 26-07-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gideon" wrote in message
.. .

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Warning: After you get done cutting them up, don't touch your nose, eyes

or
your pecker. You've been warned. Wash your hands with dish soap, not the
cutesy flowery make-your-hands-soft soap in a pump dispenser that ladies
sometimes have hanging around.

===================

From my experiences with Jalapeno, Habanero and Finger peppers
(Cayenne family), the only truly safe way to handle them is to use
those inexpensive, disposable gloves, discard the gloves when done
handling the peppers and still wash your hands very well.

Of course, it took me 3 different and horrible experiences getting pepper
juice on one of my eyes before I finally wised up

Even the gloves manage to transfer some of the hot through if you are
fooling with a lot of them. Wash often.

Old 30-07-2006, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article says...
From my experiences with Jalapeno, Habanero and Finger peppers
(Cayenne family), the only truly safe way to handle them is to use
those inexpensive, disposable gloves, discard the gloves when done
handling the peppers and still wash your hands very well.

I can handle jalapenos with my bare hands if I'm careful about washing
and not touching my eyes or anything. Last year I grew a red habenero
called "Chef Jeff's World's hottest pepper." I thought the name was a
nice gimmick and planted 3 plants. When I cut these peppers using my
bare hands the peppers burned through my skin and my entire hand felt
like it had been burned by a flame. I had to soak my hand in water for
about 4 hours before the burning became tolerable and they burned the
entire next day. After that I wore rubber gloves to handle habeneros.
I'm even afraid of the normal orange habeneros now.

Unfortunately I couldn't find Chef Jeff's red habenero peppers this year
and I failed to save any seeds from last year's crop. Those were the
best and hottest peppers I ever had. When I gave them away to people I
warned them to be very careful with them and never eat them raw. If
those peppers burned through my hands imagine what they would do to
someone's digestive system.

BTW: I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know where I can get seeds
for red habenero peppers for next year's garden.