Old 01-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield
Smile Regulations on Conifer height ..Can anyone advise please ?

Hi all,

I,m seeking advice concerning the height of my conifers, A guy has just moved into a house at the end of my garden and has asked me if I will crop my trees to a more reasonable height, I am more than willing to do so but don,t want to lose the privacy that I currently enjoy, The trees are maybe 13ft - 14ft high at the moment and I could take them to maybe 9ft without too much problem, I am just wondering if the guy is within his rights to force me to taking them to the 2 metre point by law if he is not happy with the height I lower them to ? The trees are maybe 35 feet from his house and only 2 of them are across the end of his garden, his garden is open at both sides and so my trees are not preventing any natural light. The only complaint I can see him having is that he doesn,t get as much sunshine in the afternoon but thats 'sunshine' and not 'natural light'. He seems to be a decent enough guy so hopefully there will be no problem but I just need to know where I stand just in case..

Thanks very much

Dave
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Regulations on Conifer height ..Can anyone advise please ?

"Simmo" wrote in message

[...]

Check with the proper authorities in your area. The trees were there when he
moved in and if he didn't like them he should not have bought the house. At
the very least he should have consulted you about cropping them before he
signed the deed.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Smile

Simmo Hi all,

[...]

sorry we cant be of much help to u because u didnt mention where u are located . what might be a suggestion is contact the city or town where u are living and ask them to direct u to someone that could maybe help with any issues u might have concerning bylaws that could affect how high u can have your conifers. good luck. cyaaaa, sockiescat .
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Simmo

Get him to a dr......dont trim the trees, they are on your property, you cut
them once and he will want more. He obviously needs a life. There are no
laws on the height of a tree.

IM SORRY SIR, WE HAVE TO ARREST YOU, YOUR GRASS IS THE WRONG SHADE OF GREEN.
AND THOSE TREES CAN GET YOU "THE CHAIR" IN THIS NECK OF THE WOODS.........NO
PUN INTENDED.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockiescat
Simmo Hi all,

[...]

Sorry all...

I,m located in Sheffield , South Yorkshire if thats any help

Old 01-08-2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

chaz wrote:
"Simmo" wrote in message

[...]

Well, it does appear he is in the UK which may very well have cities or
counties with tree height ordinances, something which is likely quite
rare in the States - though I would not be surprised to know that an HOA
has some rules on that somewhere, as opposed to a city or county law.

Hopefully some fellow brits will reply.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
chaz wrote:
"Simmo" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,im origanly from England.

If i remember rightly there is a law that tree's and buildings can only
be a certain height from youre neighbors property,but the tree's have
to be a certain distance from the neighbors home.

I'd check with you're local county cousel before you do any chopping.
HTH.

Von.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
[...]

Well, it does appear [OP] is in the UK which may very well have cities or
counties with tree height ordinances, something which is likely quite
rare in the States - though I would not be surprised to know that an HOA
has some rules on that somewhere, as opposed to a city or county law.

Hopefully some fellow brits will reply.

Carl

This brings up a related point: trees do get too large, and they do get
old and wonky, and they, or parts of them, do fall down when the storm
gods attack. Who's responsible if a tree or branch on falls and damages
the neighbour's property (house, car, etc)? I believe that Toronto can
demand the removal of an unsafe tree. (The city has a department in
charge of the "urban forest." It s does good work, it seems.)

Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Simmo wrote:
[...]

It will all come down to what the local council decides no matter what
"regulations" might exist. The only way to find out is to ask someone in
the proper branch of the bureaucracy what their interpretation is this week.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

John McGaw wrote:
Simmo wrote:

[...]

hah! 'branch' !

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 02-08-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

I live in the city. what I see is mostly conifers eating houses and people with huge
old nasty apple trees that drop rotten apples that then ferment calling in all kinds
of wasps and destroying their grass. in the city these kind of trees are stupid.
they DO unreasonably block the sun off neighbors yards. people south of me
thankfully cut down a huge pine tree was eating their house, my fence and arbor and
blocking sun. But they left the apple tree. ugh. the people north of me have a
huge apple shades most of the northern side of the yard which would otherwise be
their "sun" garden and I think they arent happy with my slightly raised bed with
peonies and the fall clematis on the fence (all of 4') because it blocks sun to their
side and one rose on that side (actually, she doesnt know anything about gardening
and does appear to water or properly feed roses). I cut down a lilac on my side
along that border, they cut theirs down and said something to the effect "oh good we
will have sun there" and I told them, no, I was cutting down the lilac so I could
plant a couple dwarf peach trees and group my figs-in-a-bucket there.
and yes, I have tried to give her advice but gardening does not appear to be high on
her list of things to get done. Ingrid

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
This brings up a related point: trees do get too large, and they do get
old and wonky, and they, or parts of them, do fall down when the storm
gods attack. Who's responsible if a tree or branch on falls and damages
the neighbour's property (house, car, etc)? I believe that Toronto can
demand the removal of an unsafe tree. (The city has a department in
charge of the "urban forest." It s does good work, it seems.)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry all...

I,m located in Sheffield , South Yorkshire if thats any help

--
Simmo

Here, where I live in US, there are state, county, and community deed
restrictions.
Community deed restrictionts are most strigent including direction
garage faces street, number of dogs, and fences blocking views. So, you
will have to find knowledgeable persons in your specific area.
Personally, I wish I had kept topping the evergreens on my property
line because now they are getting out of hand and some day I'll have to
hire a tree cutter.

Community deed restrictions, like blocking someones view, are hard to
enforce if governing body is civic association since only remedy is law
suit.

Frank

Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Simmo wrote:
[...]

If you cut the tops off of most conifers, you ruin them. I wouldn't cut
them. Neighbor can move if he doesn't like them.

If they were a privet hedge or boxwood or something like that I might be
more accommodating.

Bob
Old 03-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo

have only just seen your post. I work in local authority and asked my colleague who deals with this for our area. He said the best thing to do would be to have a look at the site www.odpm.gov.uk then look up the new hedge heights regs. Its a very complex thing and our authority has only recently started taking on cases and charege the complainant £250 before they take on the case. it depends on lots of things such as orientation etc ad not just a case of how hight eh actual hedge is. as other have said contact your local authority and sound them out. I think most councils would charge your neighbour to even investigate. They are not that high and if you take them to 9 feet i would think that is reasonable but that is only my own opinion. check out the web site for lots more info
Old 03-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered User

try this link for just general things http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1127823