Old 20-12-2006, 08:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default "Perfect" lawns are hideous

Starlord wrote:

I have in the far past lived near citys that your landscaping was a major
part of the citys codes, in otherwords, if you din't have a good lawn with
some flower beds you faced a fine from the city. I ran a lawn service and
servered many of those lawns. Ofcourse for flower beds I'd build a line of
rose bushs along some hidden watering lines. I kow of one guy who's lawn I
just once a week took a water hose and washed it off, it was all astroturf
and the city didn't like it but could't do anything about it.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Jangchub" wrote in message
..
On 13 Aug 2006 14:50:01 -0700, "Mean Mr Mustard"
wrote:

Look fake, poisonous and manufactured by Chem-Lawn. Gimme clovers,
dandelions, mole trails, grub damage and moss any day.

So don't have one. Voila!

They'd like my scythe-cut acre, which gets cut over a series of several days,
a couple of 10' wide swaths a day as the mood to go outside and do a little
cutting strikes.

The average height of the lawn is then determined by how fast it grows ; you
simply cut a little every day and nature takes care of it.

I think it looks better than mower-cut lawns, but it's a hugely different
style.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 20-12-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ron Hardin wrote in
:

Starlord wrote:

[...]

..
wrote:

Look fake, poisonous and manufactured by Chem-Lawn. Gimme clovers,
dandelions, mole trails, grub damage and moss any day.

So don't have one. Voila!

They'd like my scythe-cut acre, which gets cut over a series of
several days, a couple of 10' wide swaths a day as the mood to go
outside and do a little cutting strikes.

The average height of the lawn is then determined by how fast it grows
; you simply cut a little every day and nature takes care of it.

I think it looks better than mower-cut lawns, but it's a hugely
different style.

I put my draft horse out on mine and let him eat away. Later I finish up
with a pair of mini horses for detail work. Oh, sure, I can mower cut it
all in an hour or so but the horses fertilize, too.
Old 21-12-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Why not try doing that at a home on a plain city lot? Where you might be
lucky to have a backyard that's a whole 25ft by 30ft and your front yard is
maybe a little over that or even way under that?

I used to do one lady who lived a block from the ocean, no back or sideyard
and her postagestamp front yard took all of 2 mins to cut with my power
mower. Plus she had the ONLY green yard on the street for 2 blocks. She had
it nicy edged with 4 O'clocks too.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Egyptians, or the Toltechs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they may yet be
brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the
heavens.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Gemstone Rivers" wrote in message
Ron Hardin wrote in
:

Starlord wrote:

[...]

..

Old 24-12-2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:49:38 -0800, "Starlord"
wrote:

I have in the far past lived near citys that your landscaping was a major
part of the citys codes, in otherwords, if you din't have a good lawn with
some flower beds you faced a fine from the city. I ran a lawn service and
servered many of those lawns. Ofcourse for flower beds I'd build a line of
rose bushs along some hidden watering lines. I kow of one guy who's lawn I
just once a week took a water hose and washed it off, it was all astroturf
and the city didn't like it but could't do anything about it.

My city has regulations, but they do not include a demand for a lawn.
If one does have a lawn it is nice to keep it mowed even if it's only
tons of weeds.
Old 24-12-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:26:50 +0000 (UTC), Gemstone Rivers
wrote:

I put my draft horse out on mine and let him eat away. Later I finish up
with a pair of mini horses for detail work. Oh, sure, I can mower cut it
all in an hour or so but the horses fertilize, too.

Oh if I could convince my husband to let me get a few goats and a
horse! I live 100 feet inside the city limits, but still out in the
country. No farm animals allowed. A few goats would keep this place
weeded and mowed!

Old 24-12-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

I put my draft horse out on mine and let him eat away. Later I finish
up with a pair of mini horses for detail work. Oh, sure, I can mower
cut it all in an hour or so but the horses fertilize, too.

Oh if I could convince my husband to let me get a few goats and a
horse! I live 100 feet inside the city limits, but still out in the
country. No farm animals allowed. A few goats would keep this place
weeded and mowed!

I'm pretty sure most cities consider a goat a farm animal. I'm in the
middle of our town and the only thing not allowed right here is cloven-
hooved animals: goats, cows, llamas, etc. (Don't ask me why. I have no
idea.) I keep my horses right here next to the only restaurant, the town
hall, the USPS and the fire station. Horses are allowed because they are
still considered transportation here. (Yes, I ride my horse to the post
office.) You might want to look into mini horses. They can slip under
some regulations and they eat grass just fine.

If you want to see mine, go to:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd
and check out the HORSES folder.
Old 25-12-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 21:32:20 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf
wrote:

I'm pretty sure most cities consider a goat a farm animal. I'm in the
middle of our town and the only thing not allowed right here is cloven-
hooved animals: goats, cows, llamas, etc. (Don't ask me why. I have no
idea.) I keep my horses right here next to the only restaurant, the town
hall, the USPS and the fire station. Horses are allowed because they are
still considered transportation here. (Yes, I ride my horse to the post
office.) You might want to look into mini horses. They can slip under
some regulations and they eat grass just fine.

If you want to see mine, go to:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd
and check out the HORSES folder.

Yes, a goat is indeed a farm animal! With my nosey neighbors I could
never have a miniature horse. They are not permitted at all. You
need a full acre and I have just under.

I like your little Marshall and the draft boy, but is he old or just
full of mud in some of the photo's? Most people go to Seaworld to see
the whales, I go to see the draft horses! My husband never rode a
horse in his life, he's afraid!

I finally got the courage to watch The Horse Whisperer (I always
thought it ended badly) and it reminded me of when I"d ride my horse
bareback. There really isn't a way to describe how a two thousand
pound animal feels beneath your tushie.

So, getting back, less grass more beds!
Old 25-12-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

EEK! Full of mud?? Who? Where? No, no mud anywhere except for the
last photo of the draft horse where he's mud up to the knees. (Our
pasture is a swamp right now after this week's rain.) Both horses are
four years old.

I finally got the courage to watch The Horse Whisperer (I always
thought it ended badly) and it reminded me of when I"d ride my horse
bareback. There really isn't a way to describe how a two thousand
pound animal feels beneath your tushie.

You had a draft, too?! You must have had a Shire. D'argo is topping out
at around 1600-1700# but he's a Belgiun/Shire cross and isn't going to
get that full Shire size.

And just to bring it back on topic: Exactly how long does manure have to
be composted before it's used?
Old 25-12-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:05:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf
wrote:

EEK! Full of mud?? Who? Where? No, no mud anywhere except for the
last photo of the draft horse where he's mud up to the knees. (Our
pasture is a swamp right now after this week's rain.) Both horses are
four years old.

In this photo he looks injured on his haunch, but I thought it could
also have been after a long rain. He's beautiful!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14514...65994325IEAawT

No, not a draft. I just used two thousand as a round number in
pounds. I had an appalousa with the smoothest gait and I never needed
a saddle unless we were riding the coral for something special. What
precious animals.

And just to bring it back on topic: Exactly how long does manure have to
be composted before it's used?

Well, if you mix it with your alfalfa hay (never coastal bermuda) or
pine bedding, you continue to turn it every few days. When it no
longer heats up it can be used. Be aware that horse manure has a TON
of weed seeds in it and the heat does not always kill the seeds.
Old 25-12-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarriorElf wrote:
Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Long enough that it is no longer hot, ie cool to the touch and the
earthworms are working it. We always layered ours, dry leaves on the
ground, layer of manure, layer of green stuff (corn stalks, bean vines,
etc.) layer of manure and keep building. We no longer have animals
except the 20 lb guard dog and dog manure is not a good composting
agent. We were getting horse manure from a nearby stable but I found out
the worming meds and other meds they were feeding their stock was long
lasting in the manure so stopped picking it up there. Nowadays our
compost heap is a four by four by four cube made of cinder blocks and
all the shredded leaves and garden trash from the main and ancillary
gardens goes in there and I periodically add some high nitrogen
fertilizer to heat it up. Takes about a year to make decent compost
whereas with manure and a little effort you can get good soil additives
as often as every 21 days when done right.

George

Old 25-12-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

EEK! Full of mud?? Who? Where? No, no mud anywhere except for the
last photo of the draft horse where he's mud up to the knees. (Our
pasture is a swamp right now after this week's rain.) Both horses are
four years old.

In this photo he looks injured on his haunch, but I thought it could
also have been after a long rain. He's beautiful!

He's just been unsaddled after a long summer ride. He's sweaty AND trying
to catch a quick nap before his bath. He always cocks a leg when he
sleeps. Didn't your horses?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14514...65994325IEAawT

No, not a draft. I just used two thousand as a round number in
pounds. I had an appalousa with the smoothest gait and I never needed
a saddle unless we were riding the coral for something special. What
precious animals.

And just to bring it back on topic: Exactly how long does manure have to
be composted before it's used?

Well, if you mix it with your alfalfa hay (never coastal bermuda) or
pine bedding, you continue to turn it every few days. When it no
longer heats up it can be used. Be aware that horse manure has a TON
of weed seeds in it and the heat does not always kill the seeds.

No alfalfa hay for drafts; just simple grass hay. No sweet feed either.
They're easy keepers.
Old 25-12-2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

George Shirley wrote in
:

FragileWarriorElf wrote:
Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Did you use your composted manure for food products? I worm every two
months here. I never thought about the med lasting in the manure or what
it would mean but I don't raise food crops, either.

Nowadays our compost heap is a four by four by four cube made
of cinder blocks and all the shredded leaves and garden trash from the
main and ancillary gardens goes in there and I periodically add some
high nitrogen fertilizer to heat it up. Takes about a year to make
decent compost whereas with manure and a little effort you can get
good soil additives as often as every 21 days when done right.

George

I used to have a wonderful three bin composter (two were always working,
one was for turning the working compost over to) and I used to use my
chipper shredder to break down material for composting. Boy, I wish I
had had those things AND the horses at the same time. I'd be in the
compost business.
Old 25-12-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:19:36 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf
wrote:

He's just been unsaddled after a long summer ride. He's sweaty AND trying
to catch a quick nap before his bath. He always cocks a leg when he
sleeps. Didn't your horses?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14514...65994325IEAawT

I only had one horse, and yes, he did cock a leg. I had a feeling it
was your draft rolling in the mud, or even sweaty from the blanket.
He's just beautiful. Do drafts founder if you give them too much
alfalfa? One of these years I'll have a horse again.
Old 25-12-2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

I prefer to call mine a multiflora lawn - too much work to have a
perfect lawn and uninteresting!

Gloria (in Hemlock Hollow)
"only the iguanas know for sure"

Old 25-12-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

He's just been unsaddled after a long summer ride. He's sweaty AND
trying to catch a quick nap before his bath. He always cocks a leg
when he sleeps. Didn't your horses?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14514...65994325IEAawT

I only had one horse, and yes, he did cock a leg. I had a feeling it
was your draft rolling in the mud, or even sweaty from the blanket.
He's just beautiful. Do drafts founder if you give them too much
alfalfa? One of these years I'll have a horse again.

I know they just don't need the rich diet but I can't even remember why,
exactly, anymore. (Studied up before I got him and then just stuck to
the plan. I think it's pretty hard to founder them, though. He once
ate his way through a half a garbage can of oiled oats with no problem at
all. I have given him a flake or two of alfalfa for a treat now and
then, but I'm really glad I don't have to buy him bales of the stuff.
It's great to get in a 1/2 ton round grass hay bale and just let him eat
and eat and eat. Great cost savings and he thinks they're SUCH fun.