Old 24-08-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default When do pears ripen?

There is a 10 foot tall pear tree in the lot behind me, that I discovered a
few weeks ago. I've been watering it once a week. it is loaded with medium
small hard green pears. Any idea when I can expect them to ripen? It went
with water all summer, and don't know how that might have effected it.

Old 24-08-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
There is a 10 foot tall pear tree in the lot behind me, that I discovered a
few weeks ago. I've been watering it once a week. it is loaded with medium
small hard green pears. Any idea when I can expect them to ripen? It went
with water all summer, and don't know how that might have effected it.

http://www.usapears.com/pears/faq.asp

HTH

Old 25-08-2006, 08:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

What you don't want to do is let the pears rippen on the tree. They will be
overripe
at that point. Pears are unusual in that they rippen from the inside first.
Pick them when they first start to feel a bit soft, not necessarily over the
whole surface. Put them in the fridge for a while and take them out to rippen in
your house.

Sherwin D.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pears are somewhat unique within fruits in that they rippen from the inside
outwards.
They will rippen nicely if picked as they just begin to turn soft. Put them in
the
refrigerator and let them rippen there. If they are ripe on the outside, they
are probably rotten inside.

Sherwin D.

Joshua Putnam wrote:

In article ,
says...
I checked them a few days ago. They are hard as a rock, and getting bigger.
Is that normal for this time of year?

One of our pear trees is just starting to soften a bit, the other is
still rock hard.

That's south of Seattle, your local climate can make a big difference.

Pears keep much longer if you pick them before they're ripe, but they
taste better if you let them fully ripen on the tree. But I can't eat
them all fast enough if they ripen on the tree, so some of them have to
come off early, even if they aren't quite as good that way.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Old 14-09-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

It's mid September, and the clouds and rain are moving in. And my pears are
still rock hard. I'm thinking of picking them now before they rot in the
rain. The ones I pick are still green and hard after a week of sitting on my
kitchen window, they just don't seem to be getting ripe...yet. and I'm...280
miles south of Seattle? Just SE of Salem, Oregon.

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old 15-09-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

It depends on the variety. If you know what variety you have, look in
a catalog; ripening times are usually given.

I gather you know that they should be picked before they are ripe,
unless they are Asian pears.

vince norris
Old 22-09-2006, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" writes:
It's mid September, and the clouds and rain are moving in. And my pears are
still rock hard. I'm thinking of picking them now before they rot in the

If it's any consolation: the pears I buy from the supermarket can take up
to 3 weeks to soften, in cold weather.

If you conclude your pears are never going to soften, cut them into quarters
and stew them by boiling in water with added sugar. They soften and develop
flavour. Chill in fridge, then serve with ice-cream, custard or yogurt.