Old 23-10-2006, 09:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden shed on lawn

I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I
want to know is can I just place this directly on the lawn (the lawn is
flat), or do I need foundations of some kind? I live in the North East
of Engalnd if this is applicable.

Old 23-10-2006, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

I would build some sort of foundation. Some put down a concrete slab,
others build a framework and fill it with gravel and dirt to set the shed
on.

With a foundation you have less chance of water getting into the shed and
soaking what ever you have stored there. It also reduces the amount of
surprises you will have when you find mice or snakes have made a home there
(depending on which type of foundation you choose).

Dwayne

oups.com...

Old 23-10-2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I
want to know is can I just place this directly on the lawn (the lawn is
flat), or do I need foundations of some kind? I live in the North East
of Engalnd if this is applicable.

While interviewing various sheds, pay attention to whether they're well made
enough that you can fortify them. Crime is random, theft happens, and if you
attach a hefty padlock to a cardboard door, nothing is achieved. Some sheds
aren't much more than that.

Old 23-10-2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 23 Oct 2006 01:52:42 -0700, "JB" wrote:

I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I
want to know is can I just place this directly on the lawn (the lawn is
flat), or do I need foundations of some kind? I live in the North East
of Engalnd if this is applicable.

Yes, you really should use a foundation. It doesn't have to be
concrete. Our 8x12 shed is placed on top of a simple wood construted
foundation.

Old 23-10-2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, for the info.

Not wanting to sound TOO stupid, but I would really like specifics
about the wooden frame. For example for your 8'x12' case, do I just
need two 8'x2"x2" and two 12'x2"x2" bits of wood, nail them up into a
square and then that's it, or would I require something more elaborate?

Thanks again.

Old 23-10-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jangchub wrote:

[...]

How about three 4x8 foot sheets of 3/4" thick plywood, laid over a frame
made of treated 2x4" wood? You might need to trim an inch or three off the
plywood, unless the internal floor size really is 8'x12'.

Old 23-10-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

OK, that sounds good to me. Looking at one on the B&Q website it says
the base should be 300mm wider than the dimensions specified.

Anyway, this maybe another stupid question, but it can get fairly windy
here (not hurricane standards), but I take it there is no fear of these
things blowing over????

Thanks.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 23-10-2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'd address the tip-over question directly to the manufacturer, on the
telephone. The instructions may contain info about anchoring the structure.
Their people should be able to tell you this.

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, that sounds good to me. Looking at one on the B&Q website it says
the base should be 300mm wider than the dimensions specified.

Anyway, this maybe another stupid question, but it can get fairly windy
here (not hurricane standards), but I take it there is no fear of these
things blowing over????

Thanks.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 23-10-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I

Out of box idea here.....

How abt buying a small utility trailer..something that
can be moved around with a car....and using that as a
storage shed?

Old 23-10-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example)
for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What

Out of box idea here.....

How abt buying a small utility trailer..something that
can be moved around with a car....and using that as a
storage shed?

That might attract tornados, and plastic pink flamingos.

Old 23-10-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

wrote in message

I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example)
for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What

Out of box idea here.....

How abt buying a small utility trailer..something that
can be moved around with a car....and using that as a
storage shed?

That might attract tornados, and plastic pink flamingos.

Only if you place a sofa outside. It helps if you have some elevation
but near Zero I'd put the flamingoes in a secure place.

Aside.

My dad built his sheds on a concrete foundation. Foundation was made
large and his sheds grew into over time. Given what he could afford and
find. He is 84 and still at it. I have none but store plywood and lime
in his. Best of all worlds ). We live about 100 yards apart with my
younger brother in between.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade Beware Of THINK LIKE THIS

Old 23-10-2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well, here in TX last week we have a servere rain storm and over a
thousand trees were torn out of the ground. Anything can up and go.
We have a wood construction shed, not plastic or vinyl and we put it
in a protected part of the yard as close to the fence the code would
allow. It should be okay

On 23 Oct 2006 06:51:16 -0700, "JB" wrote:

OK, that sounds good to me. Looking at one on the B&Q website it says
the base should be 300mm wider than the dimensions specified.

Anyway, this maybe another stupid question, but it can get fairly windy
here (not hurricane standards), but I take it there is no fear of these
things blowing over????

Thanks.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 24-10-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 23 Oct 2006 01:52:42 -0700, JB wrote:
I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I
want to know is can I just place this directly on the lawn (the lawn is
flat), or do I need foundations of some kind? I live in the North East
of Engalnd if this is applicable.

I'd put a shed on a foundation of some sort... concrete, wooden sled base,
rock... something. It'll help the longevity of the shed and things
stored therein. You'll also want to think about ventilation and security.

In most areas of the country, you'll need a building permit for a shed
of above a certain size (8x10 in my county). If you haven't built anything
before, you're going to want some experienced help or some good books.
Most public libraries have a sslection of books on storage sheds and
similar outbuildings; the extension service in your state or in other
states often has some pretty good plans, too, as do lumberyards.
Here are some extension service building plans from North Dakota, to give
you an idea of what's available:
http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/miscplans.htm

Take a look at the vegetable stand for plans of a shed on skids
(sled base) as an example of something that could go "directly on the lawn".

Kay