Old 13-01-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What odd, interesting things have you dug up while gardening?

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in :

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
.. .
Somewhat off topic I know, still????

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Indian arrowhead. Old bottles frm 1800s. Old rusty pipe joint.

Back in NY:

I found an Indian pendant stone. My house was on a well known portage
route between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario along the Niagara gorge.

Clay marbles, too, and a small leg from a porcelain doll.

And a complete brick pathway which ran from the house through the
backyard for 90' or so...

Here in Indiana:

Medicine bottles. Apparently a doctor had a house/office nearby and he
used what is now the horse pasture and our backyard as a dumping ground.
My draft horse generally destroys the bottles that pop up in the pasture
but not always -- sometimes I get one out intact.

Keep watch. Maybe something of great value comes up. Some old bottles have
good value.

Old 13-01-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Somewhat off topic I know, still????

--

pennies, marbles
a small perfume bottle, about 1 inch diam.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 13-01-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

a green computer key that said "Oh Sh**"

Old 13-01-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
.. .
Somewhat off topic I know, still????

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

We found an old clay inkwell in our garden. We keep it as a bit of history
from our old house.

Jacqui

Old 13-01-2007, 11:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"John Bachman" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:39:46 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
wrote:

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

Marbles, lots of them, antiques. The house I bought was in one family
for 40+ years. They raised four boys here. When I began renovating
the house I found tons of marbles in the walls and began collecting
them.

Then when I started my garden, more marbles. For years I would find
them whereever I dug. I think that I must have found most of them by
now as I don't run into them very often anymore.

Based on eBay prices I expect that I have 1
$1,000+ in marbles now.

John

a 1953 thruppence and heaps of old rusty nails.

rob

Old 13-01-2007, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

The most interesting thing was in our former house which was a fomer
Rectory. It was a revolver, very rusted - black powder revolver by
the look of it..

Old 13-01-2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JohnS" wrote in :

[...]

My horse recently demolished a medicine bottle of lovely lavender
colored, clear glass. I suspect that one might have had some value.
Old 13-01-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

OT or not, this was an interesting thread. Thanks for thinking it up, OP!
Old 14-01-2007, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:

OT or not, this was an interesting thread. Thanks for thinking it up, OP!

You're welcome. At my previous house, I was scanning the front lawn with
a metal detector and recovered a 'coin spill'. From the dates on the
coins, I suspected a workman lost all the coins from a pocket in some
weeds or something. Even had a 1961 quarter - 90% silver.

I put them on my nightstand. The next time I looked over there the
quarter was gone! My wife gave it to one of my daughters for school
lunch milk!

Also, in the back yard of the same house we we found an old pitcher.
Kinda blue with white specks glaze on the outside and white with blue
lines marking cups on the inside! We still use it occasionally when cooking!

Nothing interesting at this house yet.

Car;

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 14-01-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

When I was a college student on a work-camp program in Denmark, we
were digging for Viking objects. About 800 years down, I found a 1942
Dutch penny. Go figure g

Persephone

Old 14-01-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

When I was a college student on a work-camp program in Denmark, we
were digging for Viking objects. About 800 years down, I found a 1942
Dutch penny. Go figure g

Persephone

Well if we're counting digs, I found lots of 10,000 year old frog and
carrier pigeon bones. I missed finding the mammoth tusks by three days. :
(
Old 15-01-2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-01-11 21:39:46 -0500, Carl 1 Lucky Texan said:

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

I have found old toy army men and spacement that I played with as a kid!

Old 16-01-2007, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Somewhat off topic I know, still????

About 5 yrs. ago, I went to put my watch on to go to work. Couldn't find
it. It was a nice one too. A Digital Casio Astronomers watch with the
planets that moved and everything. I figured that one of my kids friends
snatched it from my bedroom dresser while I was somewhere else. Two
years later, after raking up an area where I had a nice pile of mulch
sitting under a tarp for the longest time, I noticed a glimmer of light
coming from the ground. The reflection of the sun off of something. Half
way buried was my watch!! Two years later!!! I took it inside, opened it
up and let it sit to dry for a week. Picked up a new battery and sure
enough, it worked!! I've bought Casio ever since. The crystal was really
scuffed and scratched, but it worked. I have it put away now, but it's
still working!

--
- Buzzys' Stall Wall -
www.buzzys.net
Old 16-01-2007, 09:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

bigjon in
:

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:39:46 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

We found a gas cooker complete with oven trays and something very
old and icky inside, buried about a foot down on it's side at the
bottom of our garden when we decided to clear it for a veg patch!

lotsa toys, broken window panes, asbestos from construction junk, car parts (small), abandoned drains elec conduit,,,,,

can't remember anything interesting.
Old 16-01-2007, 10:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

John Bachman in :

Based on eBay prices I expect that I have 1
$1,000+ in marbles now.

someone really lost a lot of their marbles.