Old 18-02-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moles/gophers heading my way - how to stop?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:43:30 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I have not likened anyone to a rock star. Surely you recognise why any
internationally important figure on public engagements, is preceded by
detailed arrangements, agreed in advance between the host and the VIP's
team of assistants. The DL is no exception.

Janet.

I'm now going to once again "unattach" myself to your silly statements
about someone you've probably never seen in person, let alone know how
his attendants give orders of protocol to hosts. It's not done. If
the host asks, they give protocol. If not, they proceed.
Old 18-02-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:59:02 -0800,
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

I have not likened anyone to a rock star. Surely you recognise why any
internationally important figure on public engagements, is preceded by
detailed arrangements, agreed in advance between the host and the VIP's
team of assistants. The DL is no exception.

I'm now going to once again "unattach" myself to your silly statements
about someone you've probably never seen in person,

Well, I have seen the Dalai Lama in person, at a lecture a few
years ago.

He looked like a fairly regular old guy (except for his great
booming deep voice.) He had a slight cold, and occasionally put
a crumpled Kleenex to his nose.

I didn't feel any urge to worship him.

let alone know how
his attendants give orders of protocol to hosts. It's not done. If
the host asks, they give protocol. If not, they proceed.

Puh-leeeze... He would probably feel great relief at having an
encounter without all the trappings. He has been quoted as
laughing at the pretentiousness of that title, "His Holiness."

A hypothetical visit to my home? I would show him my vegetable
garden (see? ON-topic!) Then maybe lunch of store-bought rice
plus my own veggies. And just hang out with some positive,
one-to-one conversation. Maybe hoping that my home and
possessions - quite modest by many western standards - wouldn't
seem too proud or wealthy.

"Protocol"? Nah, wouldn't have time for that snotty little
pretentiousness...

Humility does not go hand in hand with how much money we have or don't
have. Protocol is for the practitioner, not the teacher.
Old 20-02-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:
There is a vacant lot adjoining my lot, and at the far end we are just now
seeing signs of moles/gophers. They are spreading into the lot, and I want
to stop them before they hit my lot. Any suggestions? I'd like to drive them
off, but I'll kill them if I have to - no holds barred, I won't have them
terrorizing my garden.

I have tried just about everything to get rid of the moles, but after 22 years
they are still in my yard.From what i have read trap killing them works the
best, but takes alot of time and you have to find where they are digging
also.Also my cat has caught quite a few of them,but they keep coming back.Have
you thought about selling your home? Rick
Old 20-02-2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

. ..
any freakin' spam wrote:
There is a vacant lot adjoining my lot, and at the far end we are just now
seeing signs of moles/gophers. They are spreading into the lot, and I want
to stop them before they hit my lot. Any suggestions? I'd like to drive
them
off, but I'll kill them if I have to - no holds barred, I won't have them
terrorizing my garden.

I have tried just about everything to get rid of the moles, but after 22
years
they are still in my yard.From what i have read trap killing them works
the
best, but takes alot of time and you have to find where they are digging
also.Also my cat has caught quite a few of them,but they keep coming
back.Have
you thought about selling your home? Rick

Maybe a tactical nuke would do the job...sigh....they are getting closer
every day.

Old 20-02-2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 15, 6:18 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:42:45 GMT, Janet Baraclough

wrote:
The message
from Jangchub contains these words:

. I have emailed the author to find
out if she indeed said that in any book she's written and would like
to know where she got her information.

From this interview, which was widely publicised ?

http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2004/05/dalai_lama.html

quote

"RD: Do you have a favourite animal?

Dalai Lama: Birds maybe. I feed birds, peaceful birds. I'm a nonviolent
person, but if a hawk comes when I'm feeding birds, I lose my temper and
get my air rifle.

RD: You have an air rifle?

Dalai Lama: Yes, although I shoot only to scare the hawks. " (end quote)

The same interview quotes His Holiness saying he eats some meat.
Presumably it's killed first.

Janet

This is a whole lot different than saying His Holiness shoots
aggressive birds at the feeders with a rifle. Miles different. He
uses the sound of the air gun. He happens to do this not only to
protect the birds of prey, but to help the predators and keep them
from killing and creating more non-virtue, which will hold them for
eons in the animal realm. They eat meat, but they kill with their
talons and beak, ripping at flesh. For H.H. this is an act of
compassion for the raptor.

Secondly, His Holiness eats meat only when his health absolutely
requires it and when he goes to a special award dinner or has audience
with people from other countries which don't know Buddhists are mostly
vegetarians (I am) and will cook delicious meat shrimp, etc. When
teaching, H.H. often says if you must eat meat, eat the meat of a
large animal so only one life had to be taken to feed many people.
Thus, shrimp are out of the question, or fish. He will eat it so not
to be rude. It's not that important for a living Buddha to be
concerned with karma because he no longer creates it.

This is not really a discussion for this newsgroup, but it frustrates
me when people don't look at the whole scope, put all the information
together accurately and report it using wisdom. I can't or won't
allow someone to say His Holiness shoots birds with his rifle when I
know he would rather die.- Hide quoted text -

Back to His Holy Molee topic: We should all be mindful that we make
life and death choices for many animals every day. Most of us eat
animals that someone had to kill. Or we eat the eggs of animals that
destroy the future life of the egg.

Sometimes we put our pet animals down when they get old or sick.
Sometimes we carelessly subject our pets to risks such as when we
expose them to harmful pesticides we spray around our gardens.

I got mad at a bluejay recently when I saw him eating the eggs of a
finch nested on my window sill. The only thing I could do was hope
that maybe someday my cat would catch him by surprise. My cat, whom I
call Princess, is a great hunter, and almost every day finds a rodent
to catch and torture. She's actually quite brutal when she catches
something, throwing it around, chewing its head, flipping it high in
the air, pawing it to try to make it move just a little so that she
can pounce on it again. Sometimes, I feel sorry for the rodent. His
life would have ended more painlessly had someone shot a pellet
through his heart.

The lesson I take from these observations, is that we all kill living
things, little or big animals, plants we don't like in a certain spot,
etc.
Agriculture (monoculture) in general is very destructive to the
ecology and destroys the habitats of many beautiful critters. Yet we
need the food it produces in order to survive. However, I feel better
when I use a kinder way of taking the life of a critter that has
feelings and wants to live, just like me.

-----------------------
If you're interested in more about the damages caused by agriculture,
read "On the Semantics of Evolution" available free online.

Old 29-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Aquitaine, south west france
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangchub View Post
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:43:41 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

There is a product called Mole Med. It contains castor oil and you
can probably read more about it he

http://www.gardensalive.com/product....cd2=1171469836

Castor oil? I have a jug of castor oil that I use in model airplane engine
fuel. I wonder if I were to mix some with water and an emulsifier(lecithin?)
and spray it around if it would help?

I believe the mixture would be 60% castor oil with 30% water and 10%
surfactant (baby shampoo, Dr. Bonners peppermint soap). Try it out.
You never know what will work for you.
Try planting "Incarvillea", the tuberous roots give of a pungent smell which moles detest. Not noticable above ground!!Incarvillea is a genus of 16 species of flowering plants in the family Bignoniaceae, native to central and eastern Asia, with most of the species growing at high altitudes in the Himalaya and Tibet. The most familiar species is Incarvillea delavayi, a garden plant commonly known as "hardy gloxinia" or "Chinese trumpet flower". Unlike most other members of Bignoniaceae, which are usually trees or lianas, species of Incarvillea are stemless perennial herbs with fleshy tuberous roots

[IMG] code is On

Thunder and Lightening heading our way 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 1 25-06-2009 09:15 PM
Lawn pests (moles an gophers) Jack Gray Gardening 3 22-02-2005 02:29 PM
Whats the best way to get rid of moles in your yard? Marc Williams Lawns 14 20-06-2004 06:04 AM
moles or gophers? VB Lawns 2 25-08-2003 11:02 AM
gophers Lacreta Gardening 3 31-03-2003 05:32 AM