Old 05-04-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Natural Insect Repellants

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:52:32 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Ann contains these words:

Jangchub expounded:

Ann, Janet said the pesticidal properties were in the leaves of the
marigold, which she said was pyrethrum. That is not true, and
inaccurate. It is not a common marigold which produces the pesticide
pyrethrum, but the mum and the pesticide is in the flowers not stems
of foliage.

Yea, V, I saw that further down the thread. I've always known
pyrethrum to be derived from mums, also. A google search does not
turn up any mentions of marigolds producing pyrethrins at all.

I gave the link, twice :-)

Janet

Regardless, Janet. The pesticide pyrethrum comes from the flower not
the foliage and smell has absolutely nothing to do with its
insecticidal properties in that it kills insects indiscriminately.
Kill is kill. I don't kill knowingly. And no, I don't eat meat
either.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

Regardless, Janet. The pesticide pyrethrum comes from the flower not
the foliage and smell has absolutely nothing to do with its
insecticidal properties in that it kills insects indiscriminately.
Kill is kill. I don't kill knowingly. And no, I don't eat meat
either.

The plants themselves don't "kill", only a concentrated extract does.
The plants make themselves unattractive to insects by producing it. I
have feverfew in my garden and it has similar properties, it is fun to
see bees bend their flight path to stay away from its flowers.

Paulo
Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:41:51 GMT, Paulo da Costa
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Regardless, Janet. The pesticide pyrethrum comes from the flower not
the foliage and smell has absolutely nothing to do with its
insecticidal properties in that it kills insects indiscriminately.
Kill is kill. I don't kill knowingly. And no, I don't eat meat
either.

The plants themselves don't "kill", only a concentrated extract does.
The plants make themselves unattractive to insects by producing it. I
have feverfew in my garden and it has similar properties, it is fun to
see bees bend their flight path to stay away from its flowers.

Paulo

No, the flowers are crushed up and ground into powder and the entire
flower is the pyrethrum which is not only poison to insects, but to
most mammals, amphibians, and reptiles including birds (descendants of
reptiles).
Old 06-04-2007, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

AND it is very poisonous to fish!!!! and nearly everything in water. I cannot use
anything like this near my ponds. Ingrid

Jangchub wrote:
No, the flowers are crushed up and ground into powder and the entire
flower is the pyrethrum which is not only poison to insects, but to
most mammals, amphibians, and reptiles including birds (descendants of
reptiles).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Jangchub wrote:

No, the flowers are crushed up and ground into powder and the entire
flower is the pyrethrum which is not only poison to insects, but to
most mammals, amphibians, and reptiles including birds (descendants of
reptiles).

The oils are contained in the under developed seed casings, which are
found in the flower head. The strength of the pyrethrum used will be
more than likely under 1%. Which allows it to be used around mammals,
amphibians, birds etc.

Lar

Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Oh for sure fish are very sensitive to most anything. I am no longer
using any pesticides, no killing. I have so much wildlife in my yard
that the balance is incredible to me. It's interesting how when you
leave it alone and let it do what it wants to do, how well it all
works out. But, one caveat, I like a messy garden with some low level
order. The order in the chaos, yeah, that's it.

Jangchub wrote:
No, the flowers are crushed up and ground into powder and the entire
flower is the pyrethrum which is not only poison to insects, but to
most mammals, amphibians, and reptiles including birds (descendants of
reptiles).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com