Old 30-03-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Natural Insect Repellants

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added bonus.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of thing, the smellier, the
better.
Old 31-03-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote
in

:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between
the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added
bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of
thing, the smellier, the better.

There seems to be some dissagreement on this:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...321522908.html
Old 31-03-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:06:26 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:

FragileWarrior wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote
in

:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between
the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added
bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of
thing, the smellier, the better.

There seems to be some dissagreement on this:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...321522908.html

What about planting garlic betweent the rose bushes?

Persephone

Old 31-03-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:55:16 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of thing, the smellier, the
better.

Not true. Marigolds attract spider mites. There is only one variety
of marigold which helps prevent root knot nematodes IN the soil.
Where did you get "the smellier, the better" from?

The way farmers do it in organic method farming is to plant catch
crops for whatever insect. Here, for example, aphids adore the young
Guara lindheimeri, so those get planted in order to then attract lady
beetles...etc.

Old 31-03-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:12:46 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added bonus.

What insect are you trying to repel?

Foliar spraying with liquid seaweed or also sold under sea kelp has
been shown to repel spider mites.

I'd have to know more to give accurate information.
Old 31-03-2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
:

FragileWarrior wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote
in

:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between
the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added
bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of
thing, the smellier, the better.

There seems to be some dissagreement on this:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...321522908.html

Have you ever seen anything said on the 'net that DOESN'T have
disagreement over it?
Old 31-03-2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:55:16 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
m:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of thing, the smellier, the
better.

Not true. Marigolds attract spider mites.

I have never ever ever ever seen a spider mite on a marigold. Ever. I
say this in a seriousness.

There is only one variety
of marigold which helps prevent root knot nematodes IN the soil.
Where did you get "the smellier, the better" from?

shrug Who knows? I have not yet the ability to remember the source of
everything I have seen and heard and read and watched. I'm working on it
tho'. I hope to master it before I die.

The way farmers do it in organic method farming is to plant catch
crops for whatever insect. Here, for example, aphids adore the young
Guara lindheimeri, so those get planted in order to then attract lady
beetles...etc.

So, by that logic, then Marigolds COULD work under the right conditions,
right?

Old 31-03-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Lehmann" wrote:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added
bonus.

What insect are you trying to repel?

Foliar spraying with liquid seaweed or also sold
under sea kelp has been shown to repel spider
mites.

I'd have to know more to give accurate
information.

I am particularly interested in getting rid of
Japanese beatles.
Old 31-03-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:20:40 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Have you ever seen anything said on the 'net that DOESN'T have
disagreement over it?

Yes, of course. However, there is scientific research regarding the
species Tagetes spp. and it is and was used for root knot nematodes
not flying, crawling or jumping insects.

Old 31-03-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:24:07 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Not true. Marigolds attract spider mites.

I have never ever ever ever seen a spider mite on a marigold. Ever. I
say this in a seriousness.

Spider mites are microscopic. They cover from top to bottom any
marigold I've ever planted. They are used in farming as catch crops
to draw the attention of spider mites. I say this in all factualness
(not a real word I don't think)

shrug Who knows? I have not yet the ability to remember the source of
everything I have seen and heard and read and watched. I'm working on it
tho'. I hope to master it before I die.

If you don't remember where you heard something why would you pass it
on as fact? One thing I'm learning is to not advise based on my own
BS, but to advise based on the facts. I believe your heart was in the
right place, but I do not think you gave good information regarding
this subject.

The way farmers do it in organic method farming is to plant catch
crops for whatever insect. Here, for example, aphids adore the young
Guara lindheimeri, so those get planted in order to then attract lady
beetles...etc.

So, by that logic, then Marigolds COULD work under the right conditions,
right?

Not in the way you said they work. They do not repel insects, rather
attract them thus farmers use them as catch crops. So, the answer to
your last question is no, by no logic do marigolds work under the
right conditions to repel insects.
Old 31-03-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Lehmann" wrote:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added
bonus.

What insect are you trying to repel?

Foliar spraying with liquid seaweed or also sold
under sea kelp has been shown to repel spider
mites.

I'd have to know more to give accurate
information.

I am particularly interested in getting rid of
Japanese beatles.

The best thing is to eliminmate the grubs in the soil before they
become beetles. The long term solution is to use a product called
Milky Spore. It's an organic pathogen which is host specific. OR,
the use of beneficial nematodes is also a much faster way to get rid
of grubs in the soil. I don't know of anything which would repel
Japanese beetles, but I can tell you that if you use foliar sprays of
liquid seaweed weekly, the plants will be much healthier and will
repel the insects themselves. In general, insects are drawn to
unhealthy plants before they are drawn to healthy plants.
Old 31-03-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

If you don't remember where you heard something why would you pass it
on as fact?

Actually, I said it tongue in cheek. *sigh* The printed word is SUCH a
limiting medium.

May all your authoritive advice always be right on the money and may you
never, ever, EVER make a mistake. Carry on!
Old 31-03-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roses and garlic [was: Natural Insect Repellants]

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:10:37 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:06:26 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:

FragileWarrior wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote
in

m:

Old 31-03-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:22:57 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Marigolds are a member of the family which are the natural source of
pyrethrum, which was marketed as an effective insecticide. The pungent
smell-quotient in marigold leaves, is the pyrethrum, so ones with the
smelliest leaves, have the most insecticide.

In the UK, gardeners who grow tomatoes and basil in glasshouses,
often grow marigolds in there too, as a sacrifice plant to kill
whitefly.

Janet.

Wrong. C. coccineum is NO relation to Tagetes. You are also wrong
about it being the "leaves, is the pyrethrum." Pyrethrum come from a
Chrysanthamum coccineum plant and it is the crushed flowers where the
poison is, not the foliage.