Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help for a canna novice

Hello all.

For what ever reason, my mom gifted me with a canna tuber (Madame Butterfly
to be specific).

OK - there is still snow on the ground here in NH and it isn't going to be
warming up soon. SO, should I pot it up and let it get started in the house
until late May? Or leave it as is until later this month? How big a pot?

HELP!

Cheryl

Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 06:28:04 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Hello all.

For what ever reason, my mom gifted me with a canna tuber (Madame Butterfly
to be specific).

OK - there is still snow on the ground here in NH and it isn't going to be
warming up soon. SO, should I pot it up and let it get started in the house
until late May? Or leave it as is until later this month? How big a pot?

HELP!

Cheryl

Depending on how long or large the rhizome is, you can pot it up. In
the nursery we used to use bulb containers which are about 12 inches
in diameter and 4 or 6 inches deep. Use moist potting mix and only
slightly cover the top of the rhizome.

OR, you can wait. If you wait, keep the rhizome in a dark place using
slightly moist peat moss or equivalent and store in a place which is
cool, but not colder than 45. Canna's grow very fast so you won't
really get any more growth if you start them early.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Hello all.

For what ever reason, my mom gifted me with a canna tuber (Madame
Butterfly
to be specific).

OK - there is still snow on the ground here in NH and it isn't going to be
warming up soon. SO, should I pot it up and let it get started in the
house
until late May? Or leave it as is until later this month? How big a pot?

HELP!

Cheryl

Yeah, you can start it early. You'll get earlier flowering that way. The pot
size should be obvious based on the size of the tuber.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Here's a site that will give you just about all the info you need for your
canna; planting, storing, FAQ, etc.. Since you live in NH the tuber will
have to be lifted and stored in the fall as you would dahlias. They aren't
super hardy. I live in Seattle and I never had any cannas that made it
through a winter here.
http://www.cannas.net/planting_guide.asp

Val

Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote in message
[...]

My Canna's are left in the ground and they come back.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Snow on the ground??? Do NOT plant, not yet, Canna love good hot weather,
keep it dry and cool in dark someplace, once the snow is gone and your
getting warm weather, then you can plant it and use a good amount of steer
manua on the ground and it should grow for you. How do I know? Desert Canna
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna/ As I live in the High Mojave Desert.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

I know of people in the northen states that have kepted their canna rhizomes
in cardboard boxs wriped in newspaper and replants them in spring and have
them blooming by July. Me, mine stays in the ground here in the mojave
desert.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/9/07 3:59 PM, in article ,
"Starlord" wrote:

Snow on the ground??? Do NOT plant, not yet, Canna love good hot weather,
keep it dry and cool in dark someplace, once the snow is gone and your
getting warm weather, then you can plant it and use a good amount of steer
manua on the ground and it should grow for you. How do I know? Desert Canna
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna/ As I live in the High Mojave Desert.

I had no intention of planting anything until Memorial Day or later. I still
have lots of snow cover. And a few crocus, snow drops and one lone
daffodil...

Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/9/07 8:48 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Hello all.

For what ever reason, my mom gifted me with a canna tuber (Madame
Butterfly
to be specific).

OK - there is still snow on the ground here in NH and it isn't going to be
warming up soon. SO, should I pot it up and let it get started in the
house
until late May? Or leave it as is until later this month? How big a pot?

HELP!

Cheryl

Yeah, you can start it early. You'll get earlier flowering that way. The pot
size should be obvious based on the size of the tuber.

A better question is how deep a pot...

Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Hello all.

For what ever reason, my mom gifted me with a canna tuber (Madame
Butterfly
to be specific).

OK - there is still snow on the ground here in NH and it isn't going to
be
warming up soon. SO, should I pot it up and let it get started in the
house
until late May? Or leave it as is until later this month? How big a pot?

HELP!

Cheryl

Yeah, you can start it early. You'll get earlier flowering that way. The
pot
size should be obvious based on the size of the tuber.

A better question is how deep a pot...

6-8". In a perfect world where life allows gardeners to do everything right
on time, like transplant things, that'll be big enough.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:56:59 -0700, "Starlord"
wrote:

I know of people in the northen states that have kepted their canna rhizomes
in cardboard boxs wriped in newspaper and replants them in spring and have
them blooming by July. Me, mine stays in the ground here in the mojave
desert.

I have several varieties: 'Striped Beauty,' 'Phaison,' and
'Pretoria.' They are in the ground and I could start a canna farm.
I'm in zone 8b, but our soil never freezes and it is not particularly
wet a lot in winter.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:49:38 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

A better question is how deep a pot...

When I grew them for trade, they were grown in what is also known as
Dahlia pots. So, approximately 12" wide and 6" deep. The rhizomes
should only be about one inch below the soil.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

this last year our normal rain fall of 10 to 15 inch has not showed up, our
one rain storm droped all of 5 drops of rain on the ground. It's been dry.
but as I use the trailer parks water I still get to do all the watering I
need to do. I'm on the south edge of Rosamond, west gate of Edwards AFB and
I'm 15 miles below the Mojave Spaceport and can wach the lauching from
there. Right now my main garden in only 150ft long by 100ft wide in the
desert field and my main crop is iris and canna.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

What is I want to leave it potted for the summer? I was beginning to think
about using it as the center of a large container. Or would you "pot it on"
(as my mother would say)...

Cheryl