Old 14-05-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about mulching.

I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

Old 14-05-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

I mean I wish I could do the following in an area 10x8 feet:

Weed control , then Moisture retention, then Soil improvement, then
Beautification of the yeard ...

Thanks for any hint.

Old 14-05-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

I mean I wish I could do the following in an area 10x8 feet:

Weed control , then Moisture retention, then Soil improvement, then
Beautification of the yeard ...

Thanks for any hint.

Got a bag attachment for your mower? Grass clippings will take care of
moisture and soil improvement. Your hands will take care of weed control.
Beautification - depends on whether you like the beige color of dried grass.

Old 14-05-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 14, 3:12 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

I mean I wish I could do the following in an area 10x8 feet:

Weed control , then Moisture retention, then Soil improvement, then
Beautification of the yeard ...

Thanks for any hint.

Got a bag attachment for your mower? Grass clippings will take care of
moisture and soil improvement. Your hands will take care of weed control.
Beautification - depends on whether you like the beige color of dried grass.

Thanks. But my grass is full of weeds now, and I have to clean the
weeds first. The grass clips may not be good.

Do you think 8x10 a big area? To me, now it is so big, what do you
think of it? I am not handy.

Old 14-05-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 14, 3:12 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

I mean I wish I could do the following in an area 10x8 feet:

Weed control , then Moisture retention, then Soil improvement, then
Beautification of the yeard ...

Thanks for any hint.

Got a bag attachment for your mower? Grass clippings will take care of
moisture and soil improvement. Your hands will take care of weed control.
Beautification - depends on whether you like the beige color of dried
grass.

Thanks. But my grass is full of weeds now, and I have to clean the
weeds first. The grass clips may not be good.

Do you think 8x10 a big area? To me, now it is so big, what do you
think of it? I am not handy.

As long as you're mowing just leaves, not flowers (from the weeds), you can
use it as mulch. I've been doing this on a 10x10 foot garden for many years.
No problems.

Old 15-05-2007, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

I mean I wish I could do the following in an area 10x8 feet:

Weed control , then Moisture retention, then Soil improvement, then
Beautification of the yeard ...

All mulches will suppress weeds if they are thick enough and (in the case of
perennial weeds) if they are lifted and let drop back to the ground as the
weeds show through (and this is repeated often enough to starve the weeds of
light - it may take some time though). All mulches will also help in
moisture retention if they are thick enough and there is moisture there to
begin with. Some mulches can actually be water repellant to a degree so
they must also allow good passage of moisture through them. Alfalfa based
mulches are very good for improving the soil over time and especially if
used with animal manures used under the mulch to encourage earthworms and
soil biota.

HTH.

Old 15-05-2007, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 6:19 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
wrote in message
On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

I did not know Alfalfa based mulches. But I guess I could try it soon.
How much (I mean in boxes , or how many seeds) do I need for an area
of 8x10 in square feet? Do I also need to manure them? how often and
how much to watering? Another question is that Alfafa is not
perennial, I guess I have to plant each spring?

Now I have applied some red cedar mulches, about 2". I guess that
might not be enough. Also someone told me that red cedar could lead to
pests, ants, etc. how should I deal with the applied red cedar? ro
remove them?

Old 15-05-2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sorry I should have been more careful in my explanation. Alfalfa can be
grown but the way in which I was using the term, I meant the type of bought
stock feed that is used for cattle or horse feed - usually hay or chaff. It
is also exceptional mulching material because it is an excellent food source
for earthworms and other soil life and the amount of soil life is a good
indication of soil fertility.

But I guess I could try it soon.
How much (I mean in boxes , or how many seeds) do I need for an area
of 8x10 in square feet? Do I also need to manure them? how often and
how much to watering? Another question is that Alfafa is not
perennial, I guess I have to plant each spring?

Now I have applied some red cedar mulches, about 2". I guess that
might not be enough. Also someone told me that red cedar could lead to
pests, ants, etc. how should I deal with the applied red cedar? ro
remove them?

If you have put it down already then I would suggest that you leave it and
just keep an eye on what is happening. If you do get ants in this place,
will they be a problem? Or perhaps I should ask, why would they be a
problem? Most gardens would have some ants in them and unless they are
eating something or swarming over something they usually aren't a problem.

If you find that 2" of mulch is not enough then that would be the time to
add more or try something different. You've gone to the effort of putting
that in already so see how it works.

Do you know the names of the weeds it is that you are trying to kill/cover?

Old 15-05-2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 10:03 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I did not know Alfalfa based mulches.

Sorry I should have been more careful in my explanation. Alfalfa can be
grown but the way in which I was using the term, I meant the type of bought
stock feed that is used for cattle or horse feed - usually hay or chaff. It
is also exceptional mulching material because it is an excellent food source
for earthworms and other soil life and the amount of soil life is a good
indication of soil fertility.

I might have understood it in a wrong way. When you said Alfalfa, I
was thinking about the small-can-contained seeds sold in Wal-Mart --
for flower carpet uses -- I bet?

-- No, I only wish I could get a more enjoyable backyard. It will not
be a farm.

So is it good to buy some such flower carpet seeds -- say I noticed
that there are many different colore flowers -- and spray them on some
bare-earth with some new top-soil, and they can grow?

Are they dying in the winter? Or do I have to control their growth
next sprint/summer?

Just want to learn some more knowledge.

Now I have applied some red cedar mulches, about 2". I guess that
might not be enough. Also someone told me that red cedar could lead to
pests, ants, etc. how should I deal with the applied red cedar? ro
remove them?

If you have put it down already then I would suggest that you leave it and
just keep an eye on what is happening. If you do get ants in this place,
will they be a problem? Or perhaps I should ask, why would they be a
problem? Most gardens would have some ants in them and unless they are
eating something or swarming over something they usually aren't a problem.

The "flower" field is near to my patio in the backyard. I do not want
to have pests/insects. Another question, how do I control mosquitos,
or some other not-welcomed insects?

Do you know the names of the weeds it is that you are trying to kill/cover?

The weeds are on my front lawn area. I do not know their names, but
they are wide leaves and yellow followers, some are very evil looking.
I am waiting for the weed-control man to get rid of them. So far
weedman is not doing his work I have paid for. If I knew how to remove
them earlier, I would have done the removal myself. I guess a fork-
like knife with remove the weeds? Then put some top soil, and spray
some grass seeds to let the lawn be green again?

You can see, I do not have muh knowledge about gardening, simply
started to learn.

Old 15-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in minutes or miles, how far is
your public library?

Old 15-05-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

All mulches will suppress weeds if they are thick enough and (in the case
of perennial weeds) if they are lifted and let drop back to the ground as
the weeds show through (and this is repeated often enough to starve the
weeds of light - it may take some time though).

This is a bit misleading, I think.
I have a huge, very heavily mulched area that sprouts weeds as fast as I can
pull them. Bird droppings contain seeds that easily germinate after landing
on top of mulch no matter how deep it is.
So while mulch might suppress weeds from growing up through them they do not
stop seeds that land on them from germinating.

It's a minor distinction, I agree, and might have to do with my hot humid
climate. But I hate to think of novice gardeners laying down mulch and
thinking they will never have weeds.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 15-05-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 12:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just want to learn some more knowledge.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in minutes or miles, how far is
your public library?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for any tips.

Old 15-05-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 12:26 pm, "Billy" wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in messagenews:46498919$0$9107$5a62ac22@per-qv1-

[...]

Birds may be my concerns in the future, because I have planted some
crap-apple trees. And also I guess I have to mind my shoes that could
bring in weed seeds. Is there an easier way to avoid some of the weed
spreading?

Also talking about insects, I wish I could have a control over them,
say, mosquitos, etc., if they like the red cedars?

Old 15-05-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 15, 12:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just want to learn some more knowledge.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in minutes or miles, how far is
your public library?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for any tips.

That doesn't answer the question. How far is your library?

Old 15-05-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Birds may be my concerns in the future, because I have planted some
crap-apple trees. And also I guess I have to mind my shoes that could
bring in weed seeds. Is there an easier way to avoid some of the weed
spreading?

If you garden you have to deal with weeds- there is no way to eliminate them
entirely. Don't obsess over them

Also talking about insects, I wish I could have a control over them,
say, mosquitos, etc., if they like the red cedars?

You don't have any more control over insects than you do weeds. Insects are
largely beneficial anyway, so wait until you jhave a specific problem before
you worry about exterminating any of them. And even then I leave them alone-
nature will *always* find it's own balance.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

[IMG] code is On

Riding Mower, Mulching Blade and Leaves Question [email protected] Lawns 4 09-12-2006 02:57 AM
Mulching question Ray United Kingdom 1 26-06-2006 09:21 PM
Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 12:33 AM
mulching with shredded bark - question Don Gardening 5 31-05-2003 04:44 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM